It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless becoming Criminals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Firstly, bare with me here. Right now, if your homeless, living on the streets, a crappy life in general, why not kill some one ? rape ? steal ? go to prison. hot meals every day, Sky tv, warm bed, get a job inside and let the tax payers pay your wages, dont forget, you can still get your precious drugs in jail, thats where alot of peopel get hooked on them. From nothing to every thing a poor/homeless person wants and needs, simply go out and comit a crime

You know your contry isnt really doing well in jails when you can post that up...

Take Care, Vix

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Perhaps because being homeless doesn't mean you lose your morality and respect for the law?

I know a lot of people say that prison is an easy life and such, and I suppose in some ways it is. But there are reasons for having things like televisions, pool tables, educational opportunities, gardening and so forth - it keeps prisoners busy. If they're busy doing those kind of things, they tend to be calmer and thus are less dangerous. From a safety point of view (for those who work in prisons and indeed the wider public), it's actually rather economical to let prisoners take up some sort of activity to keep them busy.

It's not a perfect way of doing things, I admit - I don't see why prisoners should be given things like laptops in their cells, for instance (though there's no reason why they shouldn't be allowed some education in IT). But on the whole, this kind of thing keeps prisoners subdued which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Homeless with morals ? yer, but we all know theres some who dont have any, and peopel are getting killed and so forth for no reason except so that the attacker can get a easy life, i say we need to try to help them but not in such a fasion that prision looks good.

Take Care, Vix

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Having worked with homeless people and encountered the 'might as well get nicked' mentality I can assure you that your imaginings are very wide of the mark.

Funnily enough, like almost everyone else, alomsy every homeless person does have a sense of values and right and wrong - those values might not be entirely the same as yours but then that is pretty universal and hardly something confined to the homeless.

Why would someone "kill", "rape" or "steal"?

That's hardly necessary to get locked up for a while.

No, what they tend to do is cause a little affray in a public place so as to get the cops called, then they mouth off to them and refuse to move, get arrested and then end up imprisoned for a spell.

......but if you can prove that there are serious numbers of homeless people killing, raping and/or stealing (surely it couldn't really be theft of anything if the aim is to be caught and nicked?) to get locked up for many years to live this easy life then go ahead, I'd be interested in your evidence.

But if prison life really is so wonderful and such a stroll why haven't you done something so as to get on that 'gravy train'?

....or is it just the usual tabloid fiction that all British prisons (including catagory A & B) are all such fantastic holiday camps - but yet, for you, somehow, just miss out on having that calculated 'appeal' you like to fantasise applies to 'the others', hmmmmm ?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

But if prison life really is so wonderful and such a stroll why haven't you done something so as to get on that 'gravy train'?

....or is it just the usual tabloid fiction that all British prisons (including catagory A & B) are all such fantastic holiday camps - but yet, for you, somehow, just miss out on having that calculated 'appeal' you like to fantasise applies to 'the others', hmmmmm ?

why havnt i went to prision >? seems a little pointless since ive got every thign i want and need right here, and prision is nice now, my step brother went to jail when i was younger and is still in there, he says he would rather be out, btu some of the guys in ther elove it, they had nthing and nwo they ahve every thign.

take care, Vix

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I disagree with the idea giving prisoners entertainment because it’s “economical”.
The Victorians managed there’s with little more than 4 walls and a brief amount of exercise, America’s toughest sheriff has skipped the walls altogether, and just uses tents, chains, and razor wire.
en.wikipedia.org...
I read in one newspaper (can’t find the link) he runs a prison that would cost us £20 million a year for just £50,000.

So Ste2652 don’t you think the best way of keeping prisoners occupied would be to allow a few factories in our jails? They could help subsidise the cost, and it would no doubt increases prisoners willingness to take advantage of any educational facilities.

Sminkey: No matter how great the state spending inside jails is, few people will want to go there unless they are well and truly part of the Chav culture. Why? Because jail is full of Chavs. Besides don’t you think most people here have higher ambitions than being parasites? Stupid question?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think anyone who imagines 'they have it all' in prison is deluded in the extreme.

You don't actually 'have' anything.

But every so often we're supposed to buy into the idea that all British prisons (inevitably the distinction between catagories is - deliberately? - lost) are holiday camps.

Some holiday camp.

Single sex, property-free, abusive, violent and liberty-free institutions.

Like I said, if they really were that attractive what's stopping those who keep claiming they're so nice from going?

.....and I note the deafening silence regarding any actual evidence about significant (or even increasing) numbers of homeless people killing, raping and theiving their way to that supposedly cosy lifestyle choice.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vixion
Firstly, bare with me here. Right now, if your homeless, living on the streets, a crappy life in general, why not kill some one ? rape ? steal ? go to prison.

I guess it depends on the kind of person that has become homeless. Stealing food or money anyone can end up doing that(who never nicked something as a kid). Rape and murder take a special kind of individual...a sick individual. Rape is more a crime of dominance, anger and hate than passion or lust. Most rapists are relatively well off and "normal" as in normal social life aka family and friends. Murder is rarely a random act. Most robberies aren't violent, though some are. Most murders are premeditated and usually occur out of jealousy, greed or anger, and thus usually the victim is killed by someone he/she knew(not the homeless man on the corner).

Most people regardless of financial situation or living status don't commit crimes not out of fear of prison, but out of a disgust at the thought of harming another individual for personal satisfaction or gain.

hot meals every day, Sky tv, warm bed, get a job inside and let the tax payers pay your wages, dont forget, you can still get your precious drugs in jail, thats where alot of peopel get hooked on them. From nothing to every thing a poor/homeless person wants and needs, simply go out and comit a crime

Anal rape, forced oral copulation, beatings, stabbings, yeah whats not to like.

You know your contry isnt really doing well in jails when you can post that up...

I've heard it stated that a good measure of a society civility is in how they treat their children(most precious)and their criminals(societies failures).

top topics

join