It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Security Crackdown?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Ok so the Government sent out more then eight million notices to people whose Social Security numbers don't match their names. According to an illegal immigrant friend of my Brother's that received one of these letters, he has one month to prove his Social Security status is legitimate. In another words, these people have one month to start working under the table again.

This may help stop identity theft, but will this push illegals to become documented?

I think the best solution for curbing immigration, would be to give amnesty to all the illegals now residing in the country. Once documented and paying income tax, they would have a verifiable income, and therefore no longer automatically eligible for the social services reputed to lure them into the country.

Of course this would only work if employers were made accountable for all the workers in their employ.

I work at a CA restaurant where all the kitchen staff is illegal and paid under the table. These guys like to taunt Americans saying among other things, that they have no intention of becoming legal when they can work under the table, while their wives stay home and collect welfare.

Do you think it's fair that these illegal women get paid to stay at home while most American mothers don't get that luxury?

And what about all the illegals driving around unlicensed and uninsured? This has contributed to a major hit and run problem here in the Bay area.

I believe amnesty for illegals would help resolve much of the resentment and exploitation on both sides. I say the sooner the better!

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
There are people who have followed the rules, and gone through the system, and have waited years for their chance to become citizens the legal way. Don't you think amnesty would be unfair if these illegals were allowed to jump to the front of the line?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Of course. But isn't what the illegals are getting away with now unfair on a much larger scale?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Yes, but the solution is not to replace one broken system with another. You were correct when you said that the employers needed to be held accountable. That's the only way to stop it.

If you grant amnesty, you're actually rewarding bad behavior. And that's already been tried in 1986, with miserable results.

new topics

top topics

join