It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is your all-time favourite athlete?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Who is your all time favourite athlete/sportstar, and why?

Mine is Bryan Habana, rugby player and winger for South Africa. I don't know if anyone else thinks this guy is incredible, but you can't help but be impressed by his speed and power.

Here is a video of him racing a cheetah for charity:

And here is a video of him in action:

He does the 100 metres in just under 11 seconds, which is a very useful weapon when combined with his explosive power. Not only has he scored arguably some of the greatest tries in world rugby, he is an excellent defender, using his speed to chase down targets and his power to dump them.

As a winger myself he is great to watch and learn from. So, who is your favourite athlete and why?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
My favorite athlete is Bas Rutten.

Now maybe this is enough writing to get posted on the forum

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
michael jordan hands down. no one will ever master a sport the way he did

barry sanders is an honorable mention he took finesse to another level

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
My favorite? Easy, Jerry Rice. The best football player ever.

The best athlete though would be Jim Thorpe.

Just Google what he did. Amazing.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Easy... Emmit Smith. He is no doubt the best running back that has stepped out on th efield in the last twenty years.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Good choices guys

I just googled Jim Thorpe, and jesus was that guy incredible - professional american football, baseball, and olympics gold medals - the guy was an athlete in every sense of the word.

Jim Thorpe on Wiki

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm not so sure I have a favourite Althlete! I'm a big sports fan and so there are so many that could be in a list.

I'll go with one of my favourite memorys. Watching Sir Steven Redgrave win his fifth Olympic Gold Medal. It was an awsome moment, to be at that level of fittness for 20 years is the thing myths are made from.

From about half way in to the race I had tears streaming down my face, It was the closest I've come to praying in my adult life. I was screaming at the TV and willing every stroke that they made would take them further in to the lead.

MonKey

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Lance Armstrong. Single event domination? I think seven straight Tours qualifies. Was he the greatest cyclist ever? No, probably not. Eddie Merx will hold that distinction forever, but he's in the conversation. Given the lack of dominant riders this year, he probably would have won this year, too.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

While Emmit is absolutely in the top five - he is not No 1 in my opinion. Jim Brown - the ONLY person in College football, Pro football, and lacrosse to go into their respective halls of fame. An AMAZING athlete.
I put Barry Sanders above Emmit as well.

My Favorite athlete though? Ali. He went through MAJOR adversity, and changed the way the world looked at boxing pretty much single handedly.

JbT

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Roberto Alomar

Not the best of the best, but maybe the best Secondbase man ever. Roberto could get to almost any ball on the right side of the field, I even saw him make plays from behind the firstbase man, or the shortstop side of second base. Along side a .300 lifetime average, he was great to watch.

Not to mention, his Homer off Eckersley to get us to the Show in 92 (Bluejays).

en.wikipedia.org...

Wiki...
Roberto Alomar Velázquez (born February 5, 1968 in Ponce, Puerto Rico) is a former Major League Baseball player (1988-2004), considered by many to be one of the best second basemen in history.[1][2] He holds the record for most Gold Glove awards at that position,[3] and has also won the second most Silver Slugger awards for a second baseman.[4]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
JOE MONTANA

19/26, 417 yds. in 15 minutes:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Dallas Clark.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Mine favourite athlete is Brock Ledgner [ Here comes the pain ]
He is the best
Noone can beat him