It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World Without Humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   

The abundant doomsday plotlines in 'The World Without Us' make it a useful conversation piece, if a grim one. Traveling down many different avenues of scientific research, Alan Weisman postulates the complete disappearance of mankind from planet Earth. Then he extrapolates about what would happen without us

www.nytimes.com...

I found this to be a very different twist. We always discuss and think of what will happen to US depending on any number of situations and circumstances. The book discussed in this article instead focuses on what happens to the planet without us. Below is a YouTube video link visualizing the possibilities.

www.youtube.com...

I know some will say that if we are not here what will it matter but apparently the author of the book did some extensive research. Assuming for the moment that his methods were valid and verifiable, it makes me wonder if perhaps we should look at the possibility of what happens when we leave things alone. From what the article mentions, it sounds as though the book shows both the benefits if certain things are not interfered with my humans as well as the decay and loss that can occur from neglect.

The book is over 300 pages but at the very least it seems like a piece that provokes thought and might be a good reference guide for questions about what life would be like or, better yet, become without human influence.

[edit on 8/19/2007 by trek315]

[edit on 8/19/2007 by trek315]

new topics

join