It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avoid Mad-Cow? I'd Rather Avoid Chicken...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Having grown up on a cattle ranch and still knowing people in that industry, I just wanted to offer another perspective.

More people die world-wide of samonella (in chicken) , then has ever died from mad-cow.

Do you think the media plays a large role in the hype of "stay away from beef" craze?

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think so. When there's a mad cow scare, and people see it in the headlines, they'll likely think twice about picking up that steak or hamburger at the supermarket for dinner. Once the hype is all gone, it wouldn't at all be surprising if people went back to eating as they once did, without fearing what could be in the beef, and affect them down the road.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
For sure the media gets their hooks into something and thats all they can seem to talk about for a year. Forget the chicken problem , not to mention those nasty green onions that came in from Mexico that gave people Hepatitus
that's not what they are intrested in they only want to make those little things called Dollars$$$ and what makes dollars$$$ Ratings.. and what makes ratings ?? MAD COW !!! LOL

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
FORGOT TO SAY I AM HAVING A BIG STEAK THIS WEEKEND AND BOY AM I LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Enjoy it, KillerT!

Last year when there was the Mad Cow scare in Canada beef prices dropped and I just bought more. Don't let them scare you out of enjoying it (obviously!)

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Don't forget the Bird Flu that is causing the deaths of millions of Chickens and is latching on to the human strain of influenza.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Yes, that avian flu is a scary thing. Not only chickens, but the ducks, too.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Does mad cow disease really have much of an affect on humans?

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
You need to take these food studies which state a certain food is bad with a grain of salt. They are funded by corperations trying to push their 'safe' brand of that food. Eat how you eat, live how you live, obey moral law, obey the law of man, and the law of God.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
Does mad cow disease really have much of an affect on humans?

Only if you plan on tearing into the nervous system of a cow. If you want more info I wrote an OP/ED on the subject

www.atsnn.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
good piece, BlackJackal.

Look at the numbers in the UK, out of how many cows infected with BSE, there have been only about 130 cases of CJD?

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by parrhesia]

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
good piece, BlackJackal.

Look at the numbers in the UK, out of how many cows infected with BSE, there have been only about 130 cases of CJD?

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by parrhesia]

Right! A Few thousand worldwide dead from salmonella. Do the math...LOL!

It's like when they say don't fly cause the plane might go down. You have a better chance in a plane, than in a car...duh!

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I have been looking into this for sometime, being that the area I live in is the chicken capitol of the us, there are some weird things that go on around here...

A lot of people that make the chicken feed have some sort of cancer.
A small town locally is suing tyson chicken due to increased cancer rates of this town and the polluted water because tyson sprays chicken waste on large fields.
Oklahoma and Arkansas are at odds over a river that starts in Arkansas and winds up in Oklahoma, the water is highly polluted, again due to chicken waste being sprayed on large fields and getting in to the water system.
Growth hormones in chicken are scary. peterson chicken a relative lightweight compared to tyson, has chickens ready to slaughter within three weeks of birth with abnormal breast and leg muscle growth.

enjoy your chicken

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
You know, I'll eat it all, media shock tactics be damned. If now's my time, oh well, life's been good, bummer I have to get holes in my brain, but sometimes that's the way it goes. But I'm not going to live my life miserably, afraid of the next pathogen around the corner, living in constant fear whenever the news needs to up its ratings.

I'd rather live and enjoy living, and go when it's time.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by razorbackhater
I have been looking into this for sometime, being that the area I live in is the chicken capitol of the us, there are some weird things that go on around here...

A lot of people that make the chicken feed have some sort of cancer.
A small town locally is suing tyson chicken due to increased cancer rates of this town and the polluted water because tyson sprays chicken waste on large fields.
Oklahoma and Arkansas are at odds over a river that starts in Arkansas and winds up in Oklahoma, the water is highly polluted, again due to chicken waste being sprayed on large fields and getting in to the water system.
Growth hormones in chicken are scary. peterson chicken a relative lightweight compared to tyson, has chickens ready to slaughter within three weeks of birth with abnormal breast and leg muscle growth.

enjoy your chicken

Ummm, like the title says, I would rather avoid chicken.
Peace friend...now, how about a nice steak?

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Lowdown from a friend in Beef industry (cattle farmer) ;

Mad Cow Disease or BSE as it's known was discovered on a US farm on Dec 23. Since then it's subsequently been traced back to an Dairy operation from Alberta. Most of the importers of US beef immediately closed their doors to ANY beef imports after that.

We in Canada have been dealing with BSE crisis since a beef animal was found to have had it and was reported on May 20,2003. When that took place our border was closed to any exports or live or frozen-boxed beef. I hear that even if you had a Big Mac in your hands as you were crossing the border,the customs Nazis made you throw it out.

A little Biology before I go any further. BSE is a disease that's carried in what's called a prion (sp?) These prions show up in the cattle's brain,eyes,spinal cord and occasionaly the small intestine. So when those portions of the animal are removed from the carcass(which most of it is anyway)...there is zero chance of it being in with the beef. Further more animals UNDER 30 months of age have rarely contracted the disease,even in the UK where they had a massive BSE outbreak. Most animals that are processed for consumption are under 2 years of age. Combine this with the fact that there have only been 2 animals found out of MILLIONS of cattle in North America,and you have an infinitessimal chance of getting sick from eating BSE tainted meat.

I know there are 12 million bovine in Canada. I'm not sure of the latest numbers from the US,but it has to be in the area of 50 million or more! I will double check on that figure.
How does BSE infect cattle? Some think it's a mineral inbalance in the cattle,but most think the main proccess of infection is by way of cattle eating feed that has been tainted with the renderings of other ruminants. Meaning?...ruminants are animals with multi-stomachs;cattle,sheep,goats,any deer,elk or Caribou. When beef are killed,there are many by-products of processing......hides,bones,organs,fat,etc. A lot of this is rendered into dog or cat food,fish meat etc. But some of it like bone meal would be mixed in with animal feed. It provides a cheap,and readily available source or protien. This is fine for farm animals like Swine or birds (layers,broilers,turkeys etc.) but can cause problems when fed BACK to any ruminants. This is what caused the major outbreak in the UK. They were feeding the infected animal renderings back to the herd.
>>A HUGE no-no

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I love this mad cow thing prices are dropping on steaks and there is nothing I like better than a very rare (almost raw) steak

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I am a lab tech in a chicken plant and you dont know the half of it.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
amuk... yeah i do want to know more, seems there is a big coverup here to me.

new topics

top topics

join