It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Sonic Boom in Florida....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Well, here in Tampa, they're at it again....
We heard a very long boom, could see no signature in the sky, no aircraft, and completely unlike any conventional jet. Sounded like two, maybe three engines, so first thought was Shuttle coming in early, but a check of NASA's site says Sunday is the departure time from ISS.

It then went quiet for about 30 seconds, and then we heard it again, though lower on the horizon...for a shorter duration, maybe about a minute....the first one was for about 3 minutes total. Everyone was coming out of their homes and looking for whatever it was. It was that weird.

I'll have to check with the local chapters and air, etc. tomorrow. But, if you hear anything on it, let us know... I know we have plenty of Tampa members. I typed this RIGHT after we heard it.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You know, now that I think of it, my father and I fishing 13 miles off of Fort Lauderdale heard several sonic booms two weeks ago on a Sunday. We heard them through the day and never saw anything in the sky. weird.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
if you hear it you're already to late to see it unless its high enough and hasn't past the horizon on the opposite side of the sky. i was lucky enough to once see a jet racing across the sky high up and shortly later here a nice boom from where i first noticed it. by the time i heard it the jet was far away from there and if i didn't already know it was there i would have never caught it in time.
i've never heard the shuttle re-enter the atmosphere and don't know if it sounds any different then a jet breaking the speed of sound.
on that topic if the jets engines were silent and the jet went faster then the speed of sound would it sonic boom or zip quietly by as it would under the speed of sound ? and would the shuttle make a big booming sound if it could re-enter slower?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
We've heard the shuttle re-entry before, and it's pretty similar, but this was just weird. It was weird enough to where everyone in the neighborhood (just about), was outside trying to figure it out.... I'm not that surprised we couldn't see any signatures....but the sound itself was just weird, as was the pause, and then hearing it again.

We heard it for a full minute while inside, before all of us went outside to see what it was...

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The space shuttle came home early because of hurricane dean....

read this:

www.sun-herald.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Right, but that was today, not Saturday.

Maybe it was this?

www.space-travel.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well the Starfighter team cancelled their show at the CIAS so I assume they are busy with other things didn't know that this could of been it.

www.starfighters.net...

They don't have anything on the schedual so not sure if they are being very public about it.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
If the US allows aircraft to fly supersonic over land why is it banned in the UK?

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrRviewer
on that topic if the jets engines were silent and the jet went faster then the speed of sound would it sonic boom or zip quietly by as it would under the speed of sound ?

Actually, no. The sound of a sonic boom has nothing to do with engines and everything to do with leading and trailing edges breaking the sound barrier.

The shuttle re-enters under the power of gravity, no engines running and yet it breaks the sound barrier and releases several sonic booms.

Dorian

[edit on 1-9-2007 by Dorian Soran]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It may have been this ExternalSource

The 105 can be fired in rapid succession and sounds a lot like sonic booms if you are at the right angle from where they are fired. Weather can also enhance the effect. You can even feel the ground rumble. I know they do training in that area on occasion.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Thirst

The US doesn't allow them to fly supersonic over land, but within 150 miles of the coast it can affect people on land, and it can be heard for a LONG distance depending on altitude. The SR-71 used to have a HUGE sonic footprint.

The SR-71 had an overpressure of 0.9 at Mach 3 from 80,000 feet (keep in mind this is overpressure at ground level), the Concorde was 1.94 at Mach 2 at 52,000 feet, and an F-104 is about 0.8 at Mach 1.93 and 48,000 feet. Minor damage can occur at an overpressure of between 2 and 5. The highest recorded from the space shuttle Discovery in 1988 was 1.75 recorded about 60 miles out of Edwards as it was landing.

[edit on 9/1/2007 by Zaphod58]

top topics

join