It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ufology, a new religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Has Ufology become a new religion of the 20th century?

Since man has become more familiar with the science and technology of the world around him, i believe that the concept of a omnipresent creational supreme being, handy with clay and a great inspiration for large book sales, is no longer believable to a great number of people today, and belief is the key to any religion, when faced with the idea of making earth in seven days, making a man from clay, the ark and two by two, never mind the whole father son and holy spirit and ressurection,which is fine to a felllow that was still fearfull the sun would'nt rise then, but it doesn't fit with the science taught from a young age today, how can you expect anyone to believe when it goes against everything actually known or proven.

Saying that, i do believe that humans need to feel led, by that i mean humans need to feel that someone or something is controlling the chaos around them and thats where Ufology fits, the principles are scientific, antigravity, interdimensional, light speed, these things are possible in the realms of science and technology, aliens the supreme being either here to teach us the error of our ways and enlighten us or to smite us because they are all powerful, nonbelievers are demonised for scoffing at the belief that we are not alone, and there is even a shrine that is Roswell, the mecca to the ufologist.

Ufology even has its prophets Lazer, Friedman etc but because the concepts and idea's are scientific in nature it makes it that much easier to believe to a person of the 20th century,despite the fact that there is no irrefutable evidence of extra-terrestial life.

So is Ufology a new religion based on the belief that something is out there, watching, showing itself to the chosen one's, each believer chasing the holy grail that is the irrefutable photo or video clip. or once again am i talking nonsense
which unfortunatley fellow board members i am prone to do when i'm left to think.

comments please.

In no way is this a dig at christianity, if you are a religous person i admire your faith, neither do i expect the christ and proof argument to ignite and i instruct the mods to close this thread if it goes that way!

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Nail on the head, my friend.

UFOlogy is a belief. I'm not going
to discuss gnomes...err, aliens.

The same can be said for diets.

Or, the ecology.

Or whatever the new "it's hot, I'm in"
thing that's going on.

UFOlogy has one thing going for it.

It's not going away. UFO's are real.
Question is, who's are they. (gad, I
hate typing bad English)

Odd thing is, I believe serious UFOlogists
aren't led. They lead.

Yes, I agree that the phenom has developed
a following (where are my cheerleaders?),
but that's ok IMO.

It gets people thinking "outside the orb".

It's when it leads to people believing in
"aliens" that it gets strange, for me.

Again, great post.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I agree i thik that UFOlogy has become a modern religion in sorts. Christians believe that god created us and some ufologists believe that "aliens" (as i call them anyways) created us so I think they are quite relevant.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have to say that it most certainly is not.

Here's why I say this. A "religion" is an organization, with some type of leadership. Ufology is deffinately not organized and I wouldn't consider Lazar, et al to be leaders. Some people might follow them but there is no organized leadership anywhere is ufology. When someone does set themself up as a leader of a group that all believes what the leader does we call them a UFO cult. In which case they more or less are a religion, ie Heaven's Gate or the Raelieans. But ufology as a religion itself? No.

Vas

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Rather than a new "religion", I think there will be a paradigm shift to a new understanding of the Cosmos where Science and Spirituality meet. We will finally come to understand the nature of the Universe, faster-than-light travel, extraterrestrial cultures, interdimensional or etheric beings, ghosts/spirits, angels, God etc.

It will be Spiritual as well as Technological.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Firstly, there is no such thing as 'UFOlogy' as a profession. It's all just a hobby to keep some of us busy. There are no official leaders of 'UFOlogy'.

As such, 'UFOlogy' (whatever that means) can't be a religion.

However, there are Cults, driven by profit, that use UFOs as a means to suck in weak-minded people, to fleece them of their money. These Cults have Leaders who offer lots and deliver NOTHING.

UFOlogy is not a religion, nor will it ever be.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Oh hi tezzajw, I wasn't expecting to see you here in this new thread, posting right after me, and trashing "Cult Greer"

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr
Oh hi tezzajw, I wasn't expecting to see you here in this new thread, posting right after me, and trashing "Cult Greer"

Odd, that. The first and only mention in This Thread of "Cult Greer", that is.

It would seem that some one mistakenly left their trolling motor in reverse. Or did they, mistakenly?

As for the actual topic of discussion,

No, I don't see Ufology as a new religion in and of itself; although, there will always be those looking to Organize and pass a plate 'round if they see an opportunity to capitalize from such. Always.

My question would be, "If Ufology were to be considered an actual religion, who or what would be THE higher deity?"
They Greys, Nordics, Alpha Centaurians, Reptilians, or HeyZeus Christos Ramirez? OR, would the followers of such a religion simply pay homage to th skies above and all that they contain?

Oh, wait. That's been done before ...

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr

Odd, that. The first and only mention in This Thread of "Cult Greer", that is.

Well I wonder which "profit-driven Cult fleecing people of their money with Leaders who offer lots and deliver NOTHING" he was referring to? Rael or Heaven's Gate I suppose?

It would seem that some one mistakenly left their trolling motor in reverse. Or did they, mistakenly?

The only thing more annoying and aggravating than a Troll, is a Vulture.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The overall point being that up until That post there was absolutely NO mention Whatsoever of ANY individual. That is, until That post.

The topic of discussion is Ufology, a new religion? » Post Reply

One's own inference may often prove incorrect with regards to another's intent. Just as assumed perceptions can tend to leave bite marks on one's backside.

Now, can we get back to Ufology, a new religion? » Post Reply
?

new topics

top topics

join