It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Define God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Firstly, let me say that I am Agnostic and am NOT trying to disprove Christianity or Atheism, just looking for more feedback.

There seems to be so much debate on whether or not God exists. I would love to hear what your definitions of God are or how YOU perceive Him.

Is He a supernatural being who watches over us all?

Is He in everything and therefore IS everything?

The Kingdom of God is smaller than a mustard seed, so does this have to do with quantum physics and we create God through what we believe?

Is He an omnipotent concious being or reality as we know it?

Was Jesus God?

Was Jesus Adam reincarnated? (The son of God, or God himself)

I'm just curious about what exactly the argument is, since I think that many people will describe God in different ways. Perhaps the arguments are fruitless and are about two separate things.

So, how do YOU define God?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think god looks like we do. I believe that his chariot is a flying saucer. And I think that the 'greys' are somehow involved, maybe angles or fallen angles.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by martianvirus

I'm sorry, but can you elaborate a bit more. I don't mean any offense, but are you being sarcastic? The reason I ask is that I've never heard of the whole chariot is a flying saucer thing.

Are you saying that you believe that many Christian beliefs are misconstrued in that aliens are perceived as angels?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Go look in a mirror.

There is a perfect example of god looking at you.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Elaborate please.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81

I'm sorry, but can you elaborate a bit more. I don't mean any offense, but are you being sarcastic? The reason I ask is that I've never heard of the whole chariot is a flying saucer thing.

Are you saying that you believe that many Christian beliefs are misconstrued in that aliens are perceived as angels?

Most of the time they talk about the chariot of God, it's described as being in the sky. Also keep in mind that the people back in those days described vehicles in which people travel in as a chariot. If they saw a modern car, they would most likely call it a chariot.

Here is some verses in the bible describing the place God lives:

15The hill of God is as the hill of Bashan; an high hill as the hill of Bashan.

16Why leap ye, ye high hills? this is the hill which God desireth to dwell in; yea, the LORD will dwell in it for ever.

17The chariots of God are twenty thousand, even thousands of angels: the Lord is among them, as in Sinai, in the holy place.

Sounds to me like God has quite a few chariots. Also, you say you never heard this theory. Just try doing a google image search for 'chariot of god'. First response is a flying saucer.

Also, define an angel. It really means messenger. So it could be the other way around. People back then mistook aliens as angels. Or not mistook, just called them something different then what we do.

[edit on 18-8-2007 by martianvirus] (spelling)

[edit on 18-8-2007 by martianvirus]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Hmmm, gotcha. Sorry, I have heard of it, I guess that I just didn't realize that's what you were referencing.

So, sounds like you're an Atheist huh?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81

Hmmm, gotcha. Sorry, I have heard of it, I guess that I just didn't realize that's what you were referencing.

So, sounds like you're an Atheist huh?
I would not say I'm an Atheist. Not really sure what I am. I believe that the Bible was a real document. And that there was a God that created us. I also believe the Bible when it says that we were created in his image. Because of that I believe that he has two eyes, arms, legs, a nose, mouth, heart, lungs, and everything else. I also believe where the primitive people described magic things can be explained by advanced science and hi-tec stuff.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   

So it sounds like YOUR definition is more of a separate concious being who watches over us (if of course you decided to 100% believe). Does that sound right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that that is how most people picture God.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
My definition of god:

A story made up by primitive people who didn't know how things worked, that has become so ingrained in our cultural consciousness it's almost impossible to eradicate even though there are better ways of understanding the universe than saying that a sky fairy did it.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

"sky fairy" - Lol

Actually, it's people like you for whom I started this thread. When you say that, are you referring to the typical Christian perception of God and that HE doesn't exist? Do you look at what other possibilities God could be? I'm not trying to offend you, however you seem so quick to dispute.

[edit on 18-8-2007 by bigbert81]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i personally dont believe in this so called almighty. but i will provide a snippet of definitions.

however if i had to describe god, i would do as the following:

(serial killer) countless victims world wide. god holds the record of most kills.

(vicious and cruel murderer) the drownings the fire and brimstone etc..

(violent mastermind) arranging sacrifices, causing worldwide anguish.

(backstabber) eat this fruit then get the hell out of my garden, or... dont turn around and cry or else you'll be a pillar of salt, or... lets tempt this good guy name job with candy from the enemy so to speak.

(polluter) lets make your only water source flow red like blood.

(role model) for many delirious believers.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

Wow, that's powerful opinion with some very powerful words. If you don't mind me saying, it sounds like you might feel that God has abandoned you at some point in your life. (Please correct me if this isn't the case, once again I mean no offense).

You sound like you're more on the pessimistic side of religion. I believe that religion is about a 50/50 split as far as good and bad. We of course have to see more of the bad (like the news). However, the ideals that religion holds and the pursuit of a utopia, I think, make it an almost necessary force.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
God?

A fancy tale, stolen from other fancy tales, to keep your little tribe of nomadic goat herders happy and contented that whilst their life now might suck, they will be rewarded in heaven after they die as long as they toe the line.

If their truly was a God, then why would he care about us, on this little planet, in the outer edges of this little galaxy, within this little cluster of galaxies in this part of the universe? Why would it matter to him whether we believed or not?

Personally, the whole notion is outdated and, more than likely, quite wrong.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
bigbert81: powerful yet un-refutable

yes my friend your a bit wrong being as that my faith has always been placed in the wind, the grass, the sun, the rain, the sky, the trees, the air, and many many other elements. and these have never 'abandoned' me.

i was never raised religious. nor was i ever raised with make believe entities such as the easter bunny, santa claus, god, nor the tooth fairy.

although, while i do value your opinion bigbert81, i simply do not see how religion can be on topic, when if i am not mistaken is: define god.
which i did. however, i did not notice you define god. i did see you define religion in a sense. but other than that, and semi-analyzing me and other people who posted their reply, you did not provide your own definition of god.

so i conclude 'if you dont mind me saying', it sounds that you like preaching to strangers.

but seriously i encourage you to refute my 'very powerful words'.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

I am not trying to preach. As I said before, I am Agnostic and just purely curious about what the majority of others perceive to be God, especially when they debate Him. I'm sorry if I was wrong, but I speak from personal accounts of other that I know. I was just asking, and refering to your DESCRIPTION of God and NOT your definition, because your definition or not, it truly shows a very powerful opinion of what many devote their entire lives to.

I do really love your definition and that you do seem to look more so outside the box of the question I asked than I would have guessed. Thank you for answering.

If I was to define God (even though I'm Agnostic once again), I think that the definition of Him being everthing to a quantum physical level makes more sense to me than a human looking being watching down on everything. Once again, that's just me.

And also, once again, I didn't mean to offend you.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
god: any supernatural being whose existence is acknowledged in the absence of reason on the basis of faith.

i think that's a decent, argument free, definition

[edit on 8/18/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
"You are but One with all, and all in One"
"that which you seek outside yourself can only be found within"
"the Lord Our God, the Lord is One!"

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark_Raven

Dang, that's a really cool quote.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Actually, he/she/it, might actually not care. Doesnt mean doesnt exist, maybe gave up on us, or maybe slipped and made us by accident?

The thing is we gotta wait till we die to know, if he/she/it exists and a soul exists we can find out, or maybe we just die and cease alltogether, in which case that the latter happens to be true then you wont really mind either way

top topics

<<   2 >>

join