It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago airshow to demonstrate the F-22's "full capabilities" (Member shot video included)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I don't see the F-22 dog fighting too much since its power is to lock on any number of targets, distroy them all until it runs out of missles, and head away without ever another fighter getting even close to lockon.

Even though F-15s and F-16s are old tech they do have rather updated weapon systems and those weapon systems can't do a thing against the F-22.

My question is, how much does a Su-35 or simular aircraft compared to a F-22 cost? And now can they maintain a cutting edge even close to the US with the huge effort that we put into it all.

[edit on 19-8-2007 by Xtrozero]

SU-35
en.wikipedia.org...
$35 million

F-22
en.wikipedia.org...
$130 million

I guess F-22 is better in everything else but the dogfighting scenarios. Those links that I sent before show to me at least that SU-35 does better in those air show moves.
I guess everyone with star bangled gogles and anti russian mind will say think differently...

I dont know how the Sukhoi PAK FA will compete after its first flight in late 2008

[edit on 20-8-2007 by finallianstallion]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Yeah, I live in a place where I have seen a lot of strange and crazy stuff in the sky. I remember when I was in the 2nd Grade a Panavia Tornado flew over my school at an altitude of maybe 150 feet, it was probably less though. I was in art so I ran outside and looked up and there it was, so I yelled it was a tornado and everyone started freaking out. I was a bit suprised seeing a british plane, but I was only 8 or 9, and didn't really think about it.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Good job Blackwidow23.

Must have been awesome to be there in person.

Thanks for putting it up for us on ATS.

Think it would stand a chance with an alien aircraft?

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Thank you very much for the video. What an amazing aircraft. I guess you do get what you pay for sometimes.

I thought that the thrust vectoring was just vertical and to assist pitch but after viewing this it appears that the F-22 may have 360 degree nozzles? The horizontal directional change just seemed to be too fast for yaw produced by the rudders.

crash5258 you definitely have my attention with the comment about abilities that won't be known for years to come! Care to give us a hint??

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by on_yur_6
I thought that the thrust vectoring was just vertical and to assist pitch but after viewing this it appears that the F-22 may have 360 degree nozzles? The horizontal directional change just seemed to be too fast for yaw produced by the rudders.

The thrust vector is only vertical but when you combine it with a flyby wire and a computer and a unstable flight plateform it is easy to make it seem like there is a possiblity that the aircraft is doing manuvers that are classic of a 360 nozzles.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The F-22's thrust vectoring system is two dimensional, pitch only, both nozzles act in concert and can be moved plus or minus 20 degrees.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
What I really find interesting is that the F22 is being built with substantial future upgrades in mind. Its said these possess and will possess as much sensor and CPU power as say any 4-6 dedicated airbourne search and destroy assets.
I have an old Air Combat from 91 or 92 that mentions the YF-22's future expectations.
Can you image an up down and side too side thrust vectoring capability retro fitted later on. The thing would be able too do near impossible by todays aircraft moves. But can a man survive the Forces this thing will be capable of is the question?
Plus todays sensor technology is bordering Star Trek like story boards more and more and I believe the full blown Raptors will be Excellent Recon craft as well.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm new here, but have been reading for quite some time.

I have watched almost all vids on f-22 and SU's. In my humble opinion, not quite finnishing ground school yet, the f-22 appears to be MORE manueverable than the HIGHLY modified SU's. The reason for my statement is if you watch the SU vids, after a COBRA the SU points his nose at a slight angle down to regain airspeed. And at the end of a tight roll the SU rolls, points his nose at the ground becouse his engines are not powerfull enough at the slow speeds (or so it appears). The F-22 does not. Watch after the tight flip how the F-22 rotates on his axis while staying horizontal with almost no forward motion. The SU continues his show with forward movement transitioning from each manuever, while the F-22 just "stops" mid-air then moves on to the next. It seems to me the F-22 has much more control.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join