It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your enthusiasm diminish over time ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Does your enthusiasm diminish over time ? What I mean is - as time passes and the longer you search for the truth and get bombarded by conflicting stories, ridiculed by sceptics, shown ever more clever fakes and being faced with unscrupulous people who make tons of money off of ufology and various claims of imminent disclosure do you feel like the whole paranormal/alien field has been so tained that it is beyond hope and infact it's one big waste of your time ?

Newbies come here for answers because of recent experiences or crisp youtube videos but what about people who have been searching for the truth for years and have never even seen a UFO ? How do you guys feel ? Is it still worth to sift through so much garbage in hopes that someday someone will bust this whole thing wide open ? Is your conviction that there is another truth out there still as strong as it was when got into the field of ufology ?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sorry, gotta say you're just fishing for points with a post like that buddy.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrChipps
Sorry, gotta say you're just fishing for points with a post like that buddy.

Post like what ? It is a legitimate question and hopefully some old timers can post their thoughts on this. I have been interested in UFOs for 20 years but I feel unless there is some new approach to finding the truth we may never find out bacause we are nowhere closer than we were 60 years ago.

As for points, I wasn't even aware there were any points given until you mentioned it.

[edit on 18-8-2007 by SurferXXX]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
MrChipps the guy ask a question & you make a retarted assumption

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
My enthusiasm doesn't diminish but it does have a gentle rest now and then and when I get news of a new sighting it fires me right up again. I have had sightings though so I guess my opinion doesn't count. Take my friend though. He saw a funny light in the distance years and years ago and still gets as fired up as me when there's been a local sighting so I guess it doesn't really diminish, just rests as I said. In fact, he wrote to Travis Walton just after his kidnap experience and got a reply, so his funny light sighting predates even that. It's a hook (almost a fetish) that gets you and I've never known it to let go anyone, YET.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
First, let me say...Excellent question !!!
If ATS still had the WATS award, you'd
get one from me.

Originally posted by SurferXXX

Does your enthusiasm diminish over time ?

For me, not at all. The shell that I build to
protect it gets thicker, though.

ridiculed by sceptics

This caught my eye.
I don't ridicule myself.

shown ever more clever fakes and being faced with unscrupulous people who make tons of money off of ufology and various claims of imminent disclosure do you feel like the whole paranormal/alien field has been so tained that it is beyond hope and infact it's one big waste of your time ?

I'll only speak on the UFO side, since
I think aliens on Earth isn't happening.

What you've quite eloquently stated
doesn't dampen my enthusiam. It does
make me look deeper and gain more
insight into the truth behind UFO's.

As such, I've become much more skeptical
over the years. Some may even say, cynical.

Is it still worth to sift through so much garbage in hopes that someday someone will bust this whole thing wide open ?

I think it IS worth it. Even if 99% is rubbish,
there's always the possibility of that diamond
in the rough.

Is your conviction that there is another truth out there still as strong as it was when got into the field of ufology ?

My conviction is even stronger now, than ever.
I honestly believe UFO's and the phenom that
follows them are a product of our govt. and very
possibly other govt's in the world.

Surfer,
I thank you for your OP.
Sometimes questions like yours
need to be asked, for someone
to sit back and reflect on the
changes one has made over the years.

You have voted SurferXXX Way Above Top Secret

Kindest regards,
Lex

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Can't really say it ever goes away, but there are times when I'm just busy and don't think about it much. But when the subject comes up, I'm there. It's really a shame that people don't take the subject more seriously.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Good post, SurferXXX, and at the moment, an incredibly relevant question.

Pesonally, I try my hardest not to fall into the trap set by the CGI or story hoaxsters, no matter what they throw at us (us being the UFO fraternity who are willing to study, and not simply accept, everything published in the media).

There are probably millions out there who hold, or even dabble, in the deep the seated belief that humans share this vast, wonderful universe. Quite what those who publish fake and deceptive vids, or stories, are trying to achieve in decieving these people, frankly, is beyond me.

Some in the UFO community may need to believe, some want to believe, some believe because of what they have gleaned through serious study. In any case, the simple fact that so many are willing, and able, to let the concept of non terran life into their own lives is incredibly important.

UFO's are not science fiction. Anybody who tells me they are is asking to to be berated to the contraray, hopefully eloquently and with some decorum. I insist that they understand the phenomena is serious and has been the subject of countless, international studies by government and military departments. Many are suprised to find out the Discovery Channel did not discover UFOs. More are surprised when they hear of the sheer scale of UFO activity.

The various videos churned out by Youtube, and the fictional story lines that keep emerging on these boards, attempt to make UFOs into entertainment for the ego massaging pleasure of their creators and followers. I find this annoying and undermining. It is contributing to the continuing, and unrelenting culture of ridicule and denial of actual, visible events. What the events are is still under discussion, but the fact that they happen every single day, and have done for centuries, is undeniable.

So, is my enthusiasm diminishing, despite being under attack by a hail storm of pixelated fakery and smart ar** story lines?

Hell, no.

I might tumble now and again under this barrage, but I am not going to go under. There are far too many witnesses to the real McCoy who are honest, genuine, and capable of relating their own experinces in an adult, and convincing manner. For these brave folk, and the tried and tested people who research their accounts, I'm willing to brave any assault.

In the end, it'll be worth it.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I may not be the best person to answer your question because I never had any enthusiasm about UFOs.

I have never seen a UFO, but my grandmother saw one and I also have a friend who has seen one too.

I believe in UFOs in the sense that they are Unidentified Flying Objects, but I doubt that they are from another planet, dimension or time frame. As I do not have an explanation for the phenomenon, I am looking for the real explanation(s), and that has not diminished over time.

Although my interest has not changed, my way of interpret the information that I found has changed, based on what I have learned through the years.

What I think is the problem with many people is that they start with to much enthusiasm, so, when they find that there isn't a sure answer to their doubts, they become a little sad about the situation and their enthusiasm may be reduced, but I think that this is good, to much enthusiasm may create false expectations and make people more prone to deception.

And yes, whatever the subject, the search for truth is always worth it.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I get disheartened sometimes.

Theres stuff thats posted on ATS and other boards about the subject that makes me angry.

I see blatanly fake videos on Youtube and I wonder why people seem to want to waste everyones time with it.

But...

There are cases out there, things that have happened that no one can explain properly at all. And its those that keep me going.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I was very entusiast and naive with the subject, some time ago. Now, i understand that 90% of all the stories, sightings, pics and videos are fake, hoaxed, garbage. With fake videos like the Taiti one, or bs threads like "DISCLOUSURE 18 AUGUST INMINENT", the UFO Phenomena looses his strenght every day.

But it is like the Phoenix bird. Every day dies, and every day comes back. And that keeps me with "faith".

new topics

top topics

join