It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange helicopter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm curious about this helicopter.
Its blades seem not moving, how can it fly?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
the title of the video says it all
"optical illusion"

maybe a couple of the blades were painted black and others weren't???

or maybe its CGI...i don't know the more i look at the weirder it seems...cool find!

[edit on 17-8-2007 by darkheartrising]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkheartrising
the title of the video says it all
"optical illusion"

[edit on 17-8-2007 by darkheartrising]

Yup, theres not much to it.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'm not so sure it is an optical illusion. look at the shadows the individual rotars cast on the fuselage (spelling??) of the chopper as it turns, they are blatently not going around!!! weird!!

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's an illusion similar to watching a car drive past when the wheels look like they're going backwards. It's either caused by the camera frames being the same speed as the rotors or more likely they've cut frames out in between rotor spins, that'll also explain why the film's jerky.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by wigit]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
i personally believe it is a fake - most likley a model on a wire - or possibly CGI vid edioting as others have opined

the reason for this is the very lack of motion of the MAIN rotor blade

in order for the main rotor disc to appear stationary - its RPM [ revs per minuite ] must be an exact multiple of the frame rate of the camera

BUT to preform the manouvers in the vid - the the engine speed and thus rotor speed would change to accomodate power demands

this would throw make the rotor RPM " out of synch " with the camera frame rate

also , note the behaviour of the tail rotor - see how its apparent speed of rotation is constant ?

lastly - and harder to spot , is the fact that the angle of attack of the blades of the main rotor does not alter - nore does thier pitch

again the manouvers that the helicopter displays would require large changes in both cyclic and collective controls - but the rotor stays at the same angle - despite the manouvers

this points towards model / cgi rather than edited stock

top topics

join