It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia to export monkeys for food (and research)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm THATS some good MONKEY!!---Monkeys eating monkeys----cool.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   
McMonkey sounds kind of McGross to me, but I know that I am also raised differently than many in this world. Its kind of a struggle on the decision of using monkeys for testing purposes. While I believe the treatment of animals is important, their use for medical purposes outways my harsh feelings towards using monkeys for testing certain drugs. As our closest relative their use in the testing of drugs has saved many many lives. While saying this, it still hurts to think of any living creature suffering for our betterment. Its one of those predicaments. A scrupple of sorts.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It's only disgusting because we are not accustomed to eating that type of meat on a weekly or daily basis. Alaskan natives eat seal meat or whale, and I'm sure many people would be opposed to eating a creature they view as having a good deal of intelligence, but to the Alaskans, without the meat, their survival would be placed in jeopardy.

I once read that cannibals claim that human meat tastes very similar to pork, so if monkey meat tastes anything like humans, then there's no difference in taste when compared to pork.

When it comes down to a life and death situation, where eating monkey meat was a necessity, I'd say many of us would do it. The human body needs protein, and meat is one of the best ways of having it. Cultures that have survived near animals have always used that animal for protein.

Oh, and I'd like to recommend venison (deer) meat. My neighbor is a hunter and often times brings me back some wild game meat, including deer. The first time I tried it grilled, I almost swore off beef steak. It's more tender than beef, more juicy and flavorful, and more lean. I'd recommend grilling it with a light coating of olive oil, fresh ground peppercorn, crushed sea salt, and sun dried tomatoes.

[edit on 19-8-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Does anyone know if monkeys are high in cholestorol? I'm trying to keep an eye on my levels...

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
Yet another example of man's disgusting exploitation of animals! Animal experimentation is barbaric not too mention incredibly obsolete in today's world. Instead of eating intelligent primates for food, how about people start curbing their own "booming" population, if food is scarce! Besides, meat isn't the only or even the best source of protein available.

www.stopanimaltests.com...

www.vrg.org...

meh....we are meat eaters yes? i don't need to run my protein source by you.....i will argue for the simple fact that i like eating meat...

i still don't get why some animals get a pass, and others it's no big??

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
It's only disgusting because we are not accustomed to eating that type of meat on a weekly or daily basis. Alaskan natives eat seal meat or whale, and I'm sure many people would be opposed to eating a creature they view as having a good deal of intelligence, but to the Alaskans, without the meat, their survival would be placed in jeopardy.

you're exactly right...people are not used to it so it touches a soft spot with them..if we sat down to think about what animals/insects, and fish are consumed all across the world, monkey/elephant/giraffe is no stretch to me.
i have had deer as well. very good. i like deer jerky.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Im pretty much against eating meat anyway, not because of the fact it is killing an animal to eat, but the fact that animals are treated as a product. I read an article the other day, which said that asda buy chickens for 2p each, so that is what the life of an animal is worth. The way they are just locked in cages in awful conditions makes me feel disgusted with the human race. If they were kept in fields, allowed to roam freely and fed proper foods, I would have no objections, but the lack of respect shown towards them is to me unforgiveable.

On the case of monkeys, I guess the reason people consider it worse than others is that they know what is going on. Ive seen cows get culled because of foot and mouth, and they all stand around, oblivious as to what is happening, cows get killed all around them and they don't seem to even know, they don't try and get away or anything. Monkeys however seem to show much more intelligence and emotion.

There was a news broadcast last week about gorillas getting shot in Africa. The gorillas were previously very friendly towards humans and showed no fear of danger at all, but since the killings, the gorillas have been running away everytime people come near them. They clearly know exactly what happened and the baby gorillas whos parents were shot have even been clearly "adopted" by other adult gorillas. Therefore they obviously are very aware of what is going on and clearly have strong emotional ties and a natural care for one another.

I can therefore see where people come from when they say they wouldn't eat primates, but at the end of the day it is still hypocrisy, who are we to say one animals life is worth more than anothers?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatpiino
I hope no one takes this as a personal insult, but unless you're going to complain about the killing of ALL animals for food, you really can't complain about killing a monkey for food.

If you're going to think about it that way then what's the big deal with cannibalism? Humans are self aware animals, why don't we eat humans as well as chicken and beef?

Are monkies put on a pedastal over other animals?

Yes. Along with puppies, kittens, turtles, and baby seals.

If so, why?

Because out of the entire animal kingdom they most closely resemble humans. Can you even imagine having a very human looking arm connected to a very human looking hand with human looking fingers on your plate. If the meat was already cooked and some unexpected guests came over for dinner they would think that you had cooked a human baby. All kidding aside that is one of the most *SNIP* up things you can do.

Doesn't quite sound fair to me. So unless you're going to protest the killing of every single animal for food, don't protest this one just because you have a soft spot for monkies.

Why stop there? Plants are living beings too, just because they don't have a brain doesn't mean we should kill them for food. You're a hypocrit if you protest killing animals but you turn around and kill innocent and defenseless vegetables.

Do you see the absurdity of your argument?

Man, mainly indigenous tribes, have been eating monkies for a long, long time.

And what is that supposed to prove? To me it proves the savagery of said tribes. Just because people have been doing something for a long time doesn't make it right. Black people were slaves for a long time, does that make slavery right? There is a long tradition in certain African countries and parts of the Middle East of female genital mutilation. Does the tradition legitimize the practice?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rahul Buttar
If you're going to think about it that way then what's the big deal with cannibalism? Humans are self aware animals, why don't we eat humans as well as chicken and beef?

^^^^^hmmm....what possible reason could there be...another jump from animals to humans.....meh

Can you even imagine having a very human looking arm connected to a very human looking hand with human looking fingers on your plate. If the meat was already cooked and some unexpected guests came over for dinner they would think that you had cooked a human baby.

^^^^lame....it they came to my house, it would look like steak medallians.

Black people were slaves for a long time, does that make slavery right? There is a long tradition in certain African countries and parts of the Middle East of female genital mutilation. Does the tradition legitimize the practice?

^^^^so we go from eating animals, to eating humans, to slavery, to genital mutilation........bwuahahahahahah

[edit on 19/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

pretty lame arguments duder

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Just to echo some of the sentiments on this thread already I don't really see what the big deal is with eating Simian flesh. I personally love meats that are generally considered "odd" and indulge in meals prepared with Buffalo, Deer, Squid, Octopus, Shark, Alligator, and others on a frequent basis. In fact, certain species of Chimpanzee have been known to eat the brains or flesh of monkeys on certain occasions due to the high nutritional content. Just because eating something like Monkey meat is considered taboo in the western world does not make it unsafe or unhealthy to consume, and I would generally think people that hold these beliefs are basing them on nothing but Ethnocentrism and their own fear of the unknown.

There is nothing wrong with eating meat, whether it come from the sea, the land, or the air. Eating an endangered species or a rare form of life is a completely different argument, and the only ethical argument that makes any sense. Many monkeys that are consumed are neither endangered nor rare, which would negate that issue.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Who would want to eat monkey meat?

Sleep-away camps. Disneyworld. American Public Schools.... (to save the cats and dogs they currently use). OOO or just plain old fast food places (fast food nation)

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
There's a large market in both Africa and the Asian countries for monkey. India has many recipes for different types of monkey. They are the equivalent to North American squirrel or rabbit and form large breeding colonies wherever they can find a food source. Macaque are a fairly large monkey with no restraints about tearing through a persons house or garden. They also have large sharp teeth and will bit if they feel threatened or are competing for food with humans.
If they are having a problem with urban monkeys, why not capture and sell them. It will cut into the poaching trade and solve the problem. They are considered in the same light as rats over there, but if they were removed from the city, perhaps the Malaysian people would take efforts to stabilize the wild population more seriously.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Actually I've heard that in some Asian countries, that eating monkeys is pretty much common place. And if the monkey population needs to be quelled, and from I've heard, it sure sounds like it does, then I don't see a real crime in it. Personally the thought of eating monkey does sound odd, however that's simply due to a lack of personal experience on my part.

Mmmmmmmm.....................Monkey Meat..........
How much you want to bet those monkey's taste like chicken.

[edit on 21-8-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm gonna pipe in here because I'm from Malaysia, so I've got somewhat a unique perspective on the issue.

No. 1 -- The monkeys here are so plentiful, they're just urban pests akin to pigeons and rats, though they're probably more intelligent.

No.2 -- The monkeys were not displaced from the forests. They moved into the urban areas, because we humans are such wasteful creatures, and it's so much easier to raid a garbage can or someone's house rather than hunt in the jungle (seriously, YOU try hunting in the jungle, see how you like it)

No.3 -- The monkeys are pretty violent and will even destroy property or hold peoples laundry for ransom unless they're placated. And even if you give in to their demands (for food) they'll just come back again to repeat the whole process. It's a bit like how terrorists operate, only they don't know how to make bombs (and thank god for that!)

No.4 -- Some chinese folks in this region (South East Asia) find monkeys (specifically monkey brain) to be a delicacy. Shipping them out would solve one problem while providing some extra income to the (more than likely) poor people who'll be up to the task of catching them.

Well, that's all the important points. Now I don't eat monkey (the thought grosses me out, I'm picky about my food, even lobsters gross me out) but then again people will eat anything. Just north of the border in Thailand, roaches, scorpions and other funky bugs are deep fried and sold like peanuts on the streets. Now that's disturbing. But whatever floats your boat, whatever tickles your fancy, to each his own.

--BC

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
In reply to: Silcone Synapse

I am a Malaysian citizen, a few remarks of your simply ignorant n retarded post. In my whole life here I have never tried dog/cat meat....I simply can;t find them....fyi, We do not eat everything

1) In Malaysia, under food menu..u simply can't find or eat cockroach from any eating house here...if any restaurant serving cockroach...the Ministry Of Health will definitely put them out of business right on the spot. Cos it's not hygiene right?!

2) What is wrong with Kebabs??? Kebab here is either chicken, beef or mutton(U r so ignorant)

3)Eating cats in Malaysia is no no! The MOH will also definitely put them out of business...coz muslim people here love the cats but not the dogs. And u can't find dog meat here...even myself as a Malaysian can't find dog meat here. U mentioned that civit cat(endangered?)are all common on street markets. U are obviously a liar...In my whole life, I have never seen cat meat selling in any of our markets...I think u r very confused with Malaysia and Thailand. Did u go to Thailand but lie to your wife that u came to Malaysia??? :-) Cos, Thailand is the Men's Paradise...if u know what I mean...hehehe I myself love thailand...U can find thai people selling cockroach and exotic meat as food there!!!

3) Stingray is listed under the food menu here and it taste much better than bass...u dislike them simply because they look ugly to u. Just like durian..king of the fruits, many westerners 1st visited Malaysia dislike durian and refused to eat them becos of the smell. But many foreigners daredevil after trying those durian just simply can't give them up and actually enjoying it. In contrast, those blue cheese smells like # to us but u people somehow really enjoying it.

4) U can only find live chicken or ducks kept in the cages but not dogs, cats or monkey selling for their meat in any of the market. Anyone found selling cats or dogs will end up with hefty fines and jail terms. U may try selling dos or cats meat and see if our government will throw u in our jail or not ya!

5) Out of thousands of restaurant, u may find 2 or 3 "exotic animals" restaurant...they always BS their customer that they have tiger meat, dog meat, wild cats...they will even show u those animals in the cages(but not tiger) as a "sample" but what went to your tables are probably just some wild boar, deer or snake meat....so that they can charge u with extra ordinary expensive food bill that u pay later

Anyway, from what I have read over your posting...I am confident that U obviously went to Thailand instead of coming to Malaysia......so, pls don't lie to your wife anymore..ya...Just for pete's sake!!!Or maybe u did stop by in Malaysia for business and endup in Thailand coz it's just a few hours away from our KLIA airport. Welcome back u hear!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join