It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia to export monkeys for food (and research)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
If you ever get the opportunity, try moose. It's a large animal but damn tasty.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
poor monkeys,
now they'll be tortured in a lab...

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
When I visited Malaysia about 10yrs ago I noticed that they literally eat anything that moves-cockroach kebabs,skewered cats,sting ray,monkey,civit cat(endangered?)are all common on street markets.
Possibly the sight which had the biggest negative impact on me were the cages containing large dead and dying dogs,outside the back of restaurants-4or5 crammed into a cage,legs tied for their entire life of torture.A chef told me they beat the dogs to death,believing this tenderises the meat nicley-it can take hours.
If I could swear here I probably would right about now...but I know its not allowed.
Been a vegetarian since I was a kid too,30`s now.Never wanted to eat animals,especially the "factory" versions we get all over the world now,rammed full of synthetic hormones,anti biotics and god only knows what else.
Enjoy your monkey burgers folks...

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'd go for some monkey - they're just another animal to me. Sounds delicious, most of them are probably pretty lean too. I had iguana when I was down in French Guiana - it probably would have been squirrel monkey but they were hard to catch and I'm not climbing up a tree to wrestle an angry monkey. Not as good as alligator, but it really is pretty true what they say about it tasting like chicken - if iguanas had wings, oh boy!

I agree that unless you're a vegan, don't own any leathers, furs, silks, etc. it's rather hypocritical to decry the eating of any animal. We hear jokes about Russians, Koreans, and Chinese folks that eat dogs and cats. For some reason that seems worse to me than eating a monkey, but I'd still give it a try.

Personally I'm still searching for a place locally that sells shots of king cobra snake blood. I was advised against it when I was in Thailand, but I'm still very curious what it tastes like, mine tastes metallic and is not very appetizing. There's a place near me that serves kangaroo regularly, I've even had lion and some kind of penguin there - I wouldn't be surprised if monkey ended up as one of the daily specials.

edit: This just reminded me of the time somebody at the Key Largo visitor center told me she got a call from somebody inquiring whether manatee was white meat or red meat. Good stuff.

[edit on 18-8-2007 by AlphaHumana]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I was just wondering how far we could take this idea of breeding animals purely to eat them-
Infinite mentioned the idea of breeding horses and elephants for eating.

Seriously man-do you think elephants deserve to become another human factory food?
Elephants,those beautiful mysterious,intelligent beings capable of ULF communication over great distances,who know where their own ancestors are buried.Those creatures who have senses we can only dream about-and yet share the same family/loving/community behaviour that we have-and you want to breed,kill and eat them.
If you were not being sarcastic,(I hope you were)then I am sorry for you.

As for horses,the French love them,and breed them to eat I think.I don`t agree with that either,they are not exactly short of food in France,why should they eat such a majestic animal who has been instrumental in the survival of humans throughout the ages?
Is that how we reward these creatures,by eating them?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think elephants pose numerous logistical problems, but setting those aside I'd say sure - farm elephants! But only if we can fry up some donkey too
(heh heh) I love my pets and animals in general, but to me they're just animals and are here for our advancement/health/pleasure. Even if the elephant can paint pictures on an easel or a dolphin is "self-aware" (though I find this extraordinarily difficult to wholeheartedly believe.)

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
I think elephants pose numerous logistical problems, but setting those aside I'd say sure - farm elephants! But only if we can fry up some donkey too
(heh heh) I love my pets and animals in general, but to me they're just animals and are here for our advancement/health/pleasure. Even if the elephant can paint pictures on an easel or a dolphin is "self-aware" (though I find this extraordinarily difficult to wholeheartedly believe.)

Hehe,great sarcasm dude-thats the only way I can deal with it...
Go get yourself a dolphin burger.Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
What kind of wine would you suggest I pair it with?

Just my thoughts on the whole topic of whether there is a problem with eating monkeys. And my thoughts are that if it's safe I don't see a problem with it. One stroll through a Chinese grocery store and you'll see far stranger stuff that even I'd question the wisdom of consuming. I'm still hoping the sushi fad finally dies off because I can't stand the stuff.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
All I'm going to say for the remainder of this thread, is that I'm thoroughly
disgusted with more than a few of you.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I agree with it finding kinda strange that SOME people here are against it.

So, you mean, monkeys are superior to other animals like cows and pigs?
Pfft, I thought people were meant to respect all life, not just that of what seems almost as intelligent as you are or that what is most related to you.

That's just discriminating.

I eat meat, but I also respect all life.

Why?
The meat, is from a dead animal.
Would be a waste to let it rot away.

Technically, since plants have life as well, they shouldn't be eaten either.

But of course, plants don't show any intelligence or emotion in your eyes.

YOU VEGITARIANS ARE CRUEL DISCRIMINATING PEOPLE, EATING DEAD PLANTS OR THE OFFSPRING OF CERTAIN PLANTS AND TREES LIKE THAT!

[edit on 18/8/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
I was just wondering how far we could take this idea of breeding animals purely to eat them-
Infinite mentioned the idea of breeding horses and elephants for eating.

Seriously man-do you think elephants deserve to become another human factory food?

Is that how we reward these creatures,by eating them?

well, when i mentioned it, i told everyone i was being serious.
why do elephants get a pass?
are they some how better than all the other animals mentioned cause they have skills?
is that not hypocritical?

we are humans, evolved to eat meat...elephants are meat yes?
ok then

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

hmmm.
why?

as someone else said, if you are vegan and use no animal type products or don't comsume any, then you can't really gripe.
logistics aside, the only other thing i can factor into why we don't eat things like horses and dogs and elephants regularly, is that people have become sensative to them.

i love my basset more than 99.9% of the people on this earth but if they were not in dangered and it was safe and it tasted good, i'd grill me up a damn basset, then go inside and pet mine while i eat it.

food is food.

i don't support people taking over animals habitat and poaching all that so please don't try it.
i am talking about instead of a pig pharm or a catfish farm or a cow farm, why not horse, elephant, giraffe.....you know?
more options for food.....

but wait, we can cage them up in zoo's for our amusment, but we can't use them to nourish ourselves

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

we are humans, evolved to eat meat...elephants are meat yes?
ok then

We are omnivores,so yes we can eat meat if we want to.Hell don`t get me wrong,even being a long term non meat eater,I would eat meat as a survival technique,if the situation demanded it.

But breeding elephants and horses to eat-sick man,what a waste of beautiful,sentient creatures.
For goodness sake,if we are going to breed all animals for food,why not humans too?
Seen as some people see no difference between any life forms,why not farm and eat humans?
Whats the difference meat freaks?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

I could say I am disgusted at the bigoted attitude shown by "more than a few of you" here..

As you are from the USA, I assume you eat Beef? How about Pork? In cultures around the world, that is viewed as disgusting and wrong, but do YOU care?

Meat is meat. My view is that as long as the animals don't suffer unnecessarily and are not endangered, why not give it a munch? It's not like anyone is forcing YOU to eat it, is it?

It's certainly very disturbing some here think that because they view it as disgusting, everyone else should do as they say.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

It's certainly very disturbing some here think that because they view it as disgusting, everyone else should do as they say.

I don`t think iori_komei or others were trying to make people "do as they say"were they?
I missed that if they did.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, his statement made it clear he was disgusted with those that don't see an issue with it. All I was saying is that whilst he may find it distasteful, Hindu's and Muslims would probably find it most horrible that he may eat Beef and Pork.

Each to their own, thats all I'm saying. I probably wouldn't eat it myself, seeing as they are urbanised and like any urban animal, is probably crawling with disease (see Rat's, Pigeons and Foxes).

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hey,sorry Stu-I wasn`t directing that at you.In fact I may have misunderstood the situation,apologies.
Anyway-no monkeys for me tonight,just a nice cup of tea.Nite nite.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
For goodness sake,if we are going to breed all animals for food,why not humans too?
Seen as some people see no difference between any life forms,why not farm and eat humans?
Whats the difference meat freaks?

well, you know this is a serious leap so i won't even answer but just to appease you, if need be, i would heat a human in a second. i already addressed it in my thread in the survival forum, and was ripped for it so no need for you to do it again.

who said there is no difference in any life forms? i know i didn't.
all life is different, sure but you didn't answer the question.

why do elephants get a pass? cause YOU think they are beautiful creatures.? well, i think they are beautiful too. i also know that i like to eat and i would eat one if it tasted good.
jumping from animal to human is a silly argument.

people get bunged up over certain animals cause they feel attached.
most don't think twice about pigs, chickens, turkeys, cows, etc etc....

why not monkey, giraffe, elephant, hippo?

whatever man.....if monkey filet's land on my grocery store, i'll be grilling them up. it is what it is

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yet another example of man's disgusting exploitation of animals! Animal experimentation is barbaric not too mention incredibly obsolete in today's world. Instead of eating intelligent primates for food, how about people start curbing their own "booming" population, if food is scarce! Besides, meat isn't the only or even the best source of protein available.

www.stopanimaltests.com...

www.vrg.org...

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Personally I doubt I'll buy any of this meat. Not that I have anything against eating monkeys, it's mostly that these are wild monkeys. So I'm not too sure about the safety of eating such meat. Also, the store I buy meat from gets it locally for the most part, so I doubt it'll be available to me.

But I guess so long as the meats inspected, you may as well put a problem to good use. It's not as if we've rid the world of starvation yet.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join