It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia to export monkeys for food (and research)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Malaysia to export monkeys for food (and research)

news.yahoo.com

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia has defended its decision to allow the export of macaque monkeys for meat and scientific research purposes, saying it will help curb their booming population in cities where they attack people and raid homes for food.

"We are talking about keeping a figure (of macaques) that is sustainable ... that will not cause problems to the people," Natural Resources and Environment Minister Azmi Khalid told reporters Friday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The article does not say where or who is going to import the siminas for food. Officials in Malaysia are targeting the some 250000+ that live in thier cities citing thier propensity to attack humans and raid homes.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Who would want to eat monkey meat?

BTW, someone needs to keep Mirthful Me from reading this article.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
OK class, can we all say Micky Dee?

I'm starting in checking food content on everything now.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Time to call...

General Thade...

He'll put these sorry cannibals in place in short order.

Tasty Monkeys, we're not just for what's for dinner anymore...

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
OK class, can we all say Micky Dee?

I'm starting in checking food content on everything now.

You know I remeber the rumors that jack in the Box was using kangaroo meat in the 80's in thier burgers. Have you seen how much it is? Its way more expensive than beef. I suspect a simian burger would carry a hefty tag as well

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Who would want to eat monkey meat?

right here man......
don't get me wrong, i am not for poaching and all that and exporting exotics to high society folks to have their special meals with.
but, if this joint is in abundance of some monkey and they're gonna filet them up anyway, hell damn yeah i'd eat it....at least once..

why not?
i'm absolutely serious..
i have had frog legs, sushi, calamari, gator, shark, umpteen kinds of fish, and of course all the regulars and others...crawdads and such.
i like to cook and i like to eat.

i often wonder why we do not eat horses or elephants here in this country...again, not down for endangering a species for food but if 'we' can breed cows and pigs for mass slaughter for food, then something tells me we can do horses and such too.
maybe that sounds sick but to me, that sounds like a lot of meat.
i mean, people eat rabbit, deers, all kinds of fowl..why limit it?

oh yeah, i had an ostrich burger once...

if it tasted it good, i would definately grill me up some monkey..

i am not trying to sidetrack your thread and i am not trying to be funny. i mean what i say...and i am not some animal hater. i am a people hater and an animal lover....
i'm not talking about eating wild clydesdales(if such a thing even exists)...i'm talking like the hores farm.....

seems to me that as far as food purposes, it would help yes?
either way, i say why not?

now, here is the thing
He said more than 258,000 long-tailed macaques are living in Malaysian urban areas and snatch food from people, homes and fields. "The moment they have less food they attack anybody," he said.

^^^^these people probably long since made their way into the monkey's habitat or cut it down for coconut plantations or something and that drove the monkey's into the city.,...i absolutely do NOT agree with that stuff. it pisses me off. seeing animals driven out cause people take over.

at this pont though, it's happening.....they're supposed to let monkeys attack people?
----------------

then again, can't they drop them up in the forrest or something?

i don't know man...but yes, i would eat a monkey.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Eat me...

This is so wrong on so many levels...

It's not like I'm looking forward to that human BBQ over the weekend with the baboon family from next door. I don't say to spacedoubt after a hard days work at ATS "hey, lets go grab a humanburger and a beer."

Don't piss us off... Remember this recent article:

anthropology.net...

Bring it on you pink and tasty treats.

Iron Chef Monkeys, not just for today's secret ingredient anymore...

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Here's our chance for "Chilled Monkey Brain"!!

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Eating monkeys from malaysia? That is about as safe as using chinese toothpaste from Wal-mart.

For some reason I just cant picture eating a monkey burger. What does it taste like, chicken?

Naaa I'll pass

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
That is just so gross and wrong.

Monkeys are our closest relatives, I mean it's just so wrong.

I say we boycott Malaysia.

In fact I think I'm going to, along with Israel and PRChina.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I say we boycott Malaysia.

Since I don't think I buy anything made in Malaysia, I guess I can easily join in on your boycott.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Could someone explain to me what the beef is with eating monkey. Barring one certain simian, that would be canibalism.
I'm just not getting it. We are carnivores(omnivores actually), we eat meat.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Could someone explain to me what the beef is with eating monkey. Barring one certain simian, that would be canibalism.
I'm just not getting it. We are carnivores(omnivores actually), we eat meat.

yeah, thats what i said...

i don't get the hangup either...

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It is because monkeys are our closest cousins.

Apart form that most, if not all monkeys have some level of intelligence (as in above
normal animals) and it would be cruel and inhumane and would be immoral
and unethical to do so.

I think we need a new word for this, something like Cannibal, except meaning
beyond just the same species.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I hope no one takes this as a personal insult, but unless you're going to complain about the killing of ALL animals for food, you really can't complain about killing a monkey for food. Are monkies put on a pedastal over other animals? If so, why? Doesn't quite sound fair to me. So unless you're going to protest the killing of every single animal for food, don't protest this one just because you have a soft spot for monkies. Man, mainly indigenous tribes, have been eating monkies for a long, long time.

Fine, a monkey may be a relative of humans. Still not a human though, so I'm of the opinion that it's not cannibalism. Yes, they are intelligent...for an animal. I know I sound a little harsh here, but I'm good with that. Until a monkey walks up to me and says, "I would appreciate it if you didn't eat me, bro," I don't see a problem. As a side note, I hope I'm wearing my brown pants on the day a monkey starts talking to me.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by greatpiino]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
It is because monkeys are our closest cousins.

Irrelevant.

Apart form that most, if not all monkeys have some level of intelligence (as in above
normal animals) and it would be cruel and inhumane and would be immoral
and unethical to do so.

So do whales but they've been almost harvested to extinction.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
So do whales but they've been almost harvested to extinction.

A very sad fact, and something I have always been vehemently against.

(I know, one line post.)

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
My favorite meat is actually horse meat better if raw (add some olive oil, salt, lemon, and you are ready to go, very very simliar to ostrich meat) it has this sweet taste hmmm...second I love rabbit (stewed), I love Paca and I can’t wait to taste those roasted monkeys. I imagine myself sucking on those great tasty fingers. Hmmmmmmmmm
A plate of monkey over a plate of French fries any day

MBF

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The best meat that I have ever eaten is raccoon. Two things I have never tried, but would like to is shark and rattlesnake. I think I ate some dog one time. I had some Mexicans that worked for me brought some tacos for me to eat, a day or two later I saw on the front page of the newspaper some dog carcases were found in dumpsters very near to the house they lived in. The meat was a little stringy, but tasted ok.

Different societies have different standards when it comes to food. We eat hamburgers everyday and think nothing of it. In other countries, cows roam the streets where people are starving and they would never dream of eating one. I say don't knock it till you try it, you may find something that you like.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join