It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be done to prevent casualties?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Honestly, people shouldn't be worried about these alleged end of the world theories. They should be more worried about when the sun is going to turn into a red giant, and it will eat all of the planets. What should we to so we can prevent our future generations from becoming victims of this? Billions of years can pass sooner than you think it can... look at how old the Universe is, time is short, and our time is ticking.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Well I understand your concern but the sun turning into a red giant is a very very long time away from now. People are doing what they can already to develop technology and broaden their knowledge but we can't solve everything. I guess a bit needs to be left for the future generations.

Juliet

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I think that all money and effort being spent on war and the like should go to space exploration and colonization. if we had been focusing on that since the dawn of space flight we could have had a REAL base on the moon with an international community of scientists and civilian workers by now.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maverickhunter

Doesn't that count as an end of world theory? It certainly sounds like the end of the world to me.

As far as worrying about future generation though, I feel there is little we can do other than recognise that despite what we may think, we as humans are entirely insignificant within our universe (and multi-verse) and one day we may face a mass extinction event. As terrible as that is to contemplate, I personally feel that we are all one and we will always be one.

Life will go on, it just may not be as we currently know it.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by newyorkee

Personally the thought of Humanity spreading out into the wider universe chills me to the bone. If you take our custodianship of Earth as a test, we have hardly passed with flying colours, have we?

We have managed to affect the course of this planet's natural history and every living thing that lives here. The body of Mother Earth is riddled with cancer, and that cancer is us.

We have a responsibility towards the life on Earth now, never mind about generations millions of years in the future. It is doubtful that any life-forms that have remnants of our DNA at the time the sun expands would even be recognisable as Human.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by Karilla]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
the sun wont expand for another 5 billion years. The Earth will have been abandoned long before that. e've cut down half the rainforests in less than 100 years. Imagine what will be left in say a thousand years much less 5 billion.

Hopefully humans will have stopped fighting long enough to colonize other systems before that happens

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Why dont we worry about getting hit by a car walking across the street? Or dying from lung cancer? Those seem like more pertinent issues than worrying about the sun exploding, personally, I dont care whether the earth exists or not after I'm gone

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 420prajna
Why dont we worry about getting hit by a car walking across the street? Or dying from lung cancer? Those seem like more pertinent issues than worrying about the sun exploding, personally, I dont care whether the earth exists or not after I'm gone

and that attitude is exactly why our planet is in the shape its in. Lets dump trash in the oceans or destroy the ozone layer. Who cares since we'll all be dead.

Im guessing you dont have any kids

new topics

top topics

join