It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Hurricane Dean..UPDATES

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Yea, it is predicted to enter the Gulf of Mexico as a category 2 and then, depending on how long it has before its next landfall, it will begin to
restrengthen. The waters in the Bay of Campeche area of the Gulf are very hot and considerably deep, this will supply it all the fuel it needs to grow into another formidable storm.
Btw, the pressure dropped to 906 mb just prior to lanfall, that places Dean as being the 8th most powerful, Atlantic Basin, Hurricane of all time, Wilma is in first place with 882. There are now 4 hurricanes, since just 2004, that are among the top 10 most powerful hurricanes.
Here is the list and here is the Source page for this information

Edit: There have been a total of 5 hurricanes since 2004 that are in the top 10 most powerful hurricane list. I made an error earlier, probably from just being tired and I counted 4.
The actual count is 5, they are Wilma, in first place. Followed by Rita,
Katrina, Dean and Ivan, in order of strength

882 mb - Wilma
888 mb - Gilbert
892 mb - Labor Day Hurricane
895 mb - Rita
899 mb - Allen
902 mb - Katrina
905 mb - Camille, Mitch
906 mb - Dean
910 mb - Ivan
914 mb - Janet

Also, once again, here is a really cool picture that shows the Eye being half on land and half still offshore..
If you havent noticed already, I really like images of a perfect looking hurricane

[edit on 8/21/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
What i found interesting is they say its the first cat 5 in 2 decades to hit land. Is this the first cat 5 hurricane since Andrew to hit land?

Does anyone know, is andrew the last cat 5 to hit land.

(before anyone says katrina, that hit land at cat 3 or 4)

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yes, it is the first Cat 5 storm to hit since Andrew. A lot of storms since then have made Cat 5 status but they end up lowering to 3 or 4, usually a day or two before they hit.

I was just going to mention something also. I've been watching the videos coming in from Chetumal on CNN and Fox, the eye passed just barely north
of Chetumal and the damage I've been seeing looks no where near what you would expect from a Cat 5 storm.
I'm sure there are areas that are torn up pretty bad but where these reporters are filming from look to be in what I would call great shape after going through alleged 200 mph gusts.

It kind of reminds me of Hurricane Dennis that struck near Pensacola Fl in 2005. It was supposed to be a Category 3 storm but I arrived within 2 days of the storm hitting, to start working and the damage that I seen reminded me of damage that you would get in a category 1 storm.
I saw very little shingles on the ground and very few roofs stripped down to the roof deck.
Most of the street signs were still intact and despite that area of Florida being heavily wooded, there very very few fallen trees..

Has anyone else here seen video of any damages that are worth mentioning?
Anyway, it is just an observation.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Here's link to the current water temperatures (sorry, don't know how to embed).

www.ssd.noaa.gov...

Link to the current Gulf of Mexico Visible Imagery Loop:

www.ssd.noaa.gov...

Kronos: My theory about the windspeeds is that the hurricane hunters instruments are measuring the windspeeds at a high altitude which does not reflect accurate windspeeds at land level.

Edit to add: Maybe their instruments that they drop into the storm are "Made in China".

[edit on 8/21/2007 by seentoomuch]

[edit on 8/21/2007 by seentoomuch]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
Has anyone else here seen video of any damages that are worth mentioning?
Anyway, it is just an observation.

I know what you mean, i was watching a clip on youtube about andrew, and the news was reported in such a more calm manner than these are. We have to take the facts from the news. I did see some with blown down trees etc..., but like they say the storm is moving fast so maybe the damage in not as bad.

We will just wait and see.

I was reading as well, that they first classed andrew as a cat 4 when it hit land, but they now say it was cat 5, by there measurements. They must look bakc on datta, and adjust these things.

Had been first Cat. 5 hurricane to make landfall since Hurricane AndrewOnly three Category 5 storms, capable of catastrophic damage, have hit the U.S. since 1935. Dean is the first Category 5 to make landfall in the Atlantic region since Hurricane Andrew hit south Florida in 1992.

[edit on 8/21/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

Well, actually they do measure windspeed at a high altitude. The Hurricane Hunters fly in at about 10,000 feet and measure the windspeed, they then use some calculations to determine what the ground level windspeed is.
So, yea you are correct about that.
Btw, I did just see some video on Fox of some fairly heavy damage in Chetumal.
The damage shown was about as much as one would expect to see from a Ca 5 storm but, it only showed one house and a parking lot, so still not to sure about how widespread the damage is.

The latest Hurricane Hunter fix at 8:34pm EDT found 185 mph winds at their flight level of 10,000 feet, which corresponds to surface winds of 160 mph.

Source

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
For your enjoyment check this out...

www.climatepatrol.com...

I have set up a 200 frame animation of Dean that tracks it from the point it hits the Caribbean until landfall near Costa Maya.

Enjoy

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Cheers for that Indy, apreciate it. Watching that makes u realise what an awsome display of power it is, I feel sorry to all those who are affected and i mean no disrespect, but i love seeing how the hurricanes work.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Why are they not talking about or showing where the storm hit and the damage? You know it has to be a disaster area south of where the weather channel people have been. I guess Katrina scared all them people who sat out that storm so they broadcast a hundred miles away. This morning they were like, Look at the fury of this storm and the 50mph winds oh my lol.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
At 10:10 a.m. EST Bill Hemmer of Fox News asked the reporter in Mexico a question that surprised me somewhat.

I didn't get the full question but when I heard UFO I looked up, in short it was about ufo's in Mexico during Hurricane Dean or something to that effect and the reporter said that the people in Tampico, Mexico believe they are protected by the UFO's in the waters there.

I thought that was interesting.

Did anyone else hear this, I may not have it ecactly right but I do have the part right about the response from the reporter.

[edit on 22-8-2007 by observe50]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'm from Brownsville, Texas and im really glad we didnt get hit..

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by observe50

Found the story on foxnewsblogs from yesterday, perhaps Hemmer was following up with an additional interview today?

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 8/22/2007 by seentoomuch]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Thanks seentomuch.

Your right it does seem that Hemmer must have been keeping a check on that blog. I am surprised he would have taken it upon himself to do that little segment, I can only imagine he must have gotten some e-mails and looked into it.

I would say that if the people are seeing the ships and know they are underwater (which that is where they are) why Ufologist and reporters or people who want to know don't go down there and ..............

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well, we have the 2nd and final landfall for Dean and despite it being a Cat 5 storm, at first landfall, it caused very little damage.
Dean is off to the history books and now I am off of this thread

Till the next storm at least

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join