It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worthy of taxpayer money?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Who here thinks space exploration is a waste of time. I keep getting these people who tell me that we've already been to the moon, and that we have no reason to do it again. Or, we have everything we need here, why leave?

I think it's a worthy investment of tax-payer money. If I had to choose a program for my money to go to, NASA would be getting checks hourly.(I'm not sure if mail is delivered hourly, but who cares)

Can anyone honestly tell me it is an unwise or pointless thing to explore space? Were we wrong when we left Europe and discovered the new world? Maybe the world would have been better off flat.:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'm totally behind you! I think we need a space exploration program, and I wish it would be funded even more.

I do have a co-worker, however, who thinks it's a waste of money. Not because the new frontier isn't worth exploring, but because of the massive amounts of money spent when all that happens is the probe or roaver just slams into the other planet. He finds it hard to understand how NASA and England's space program can't be 100% perfect when exploring an entirly unknown area.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I'm totally behind you! I think we need a space exploration program, and I wish it would be funded even more.

I do have a co-worker, however, who thinks it's a waste of money. Not because the new frontier isn't worth exploring, but because of the massive amounts of money spent when all that happens is the probe or roaver just slams into the other planet. He finds it hard to understand how NASA and England's space program can't be 100% perfect when exploring an entirly unknown area.

Your co-worker is right but I agree with both of you. The earth in general is becoming way over populated with people. Take Japan for example. The way they live and where they have to sleep. I think we need to explore new worlds and spead out to other planets and give the earth a little breathing room. The problem is alot that money that should be going to the space program to build things that actually work are actually getting wasted or getting flushed down the toilet. That is if you want to really explore the galaxy and actually make strong discoveries. That's why NASA's equipment keeps breaking down because they're not putting enough money into the program.

Now if the government would spend our taxes wisely we would already be sending men Mars to explore the planet and maybe even beyone. Are taxes are being spent poorly.

Mr. Mulder

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Just typical of the repugnant American. Let's waste MORE money on some idiot space program while unemployment is hovering around 6%, while we are spending billions in Iraq, our deficit is skyrocketing, AND SCREW THE VETERANS AND HOMELESS!

Well, sadly, I have to say to you repugnant, goose-stepping morons that this is all a ruse. This is just a fanatasy like Lord of the Rings to get your attention off of Paul O'Neil and the lies you were told about Iraq. This is just another lie.

Sorry, no far-reaching space program. Go home. Nothing to see here.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
Just typical of the repugnant American. Let's waste MORE money on some idiot space program while unemployment is hovering around 6%, while we are spending billions in Iraq, our deficit is skyrocketing, AND SCREW THE VETERANS AND HOMELESS!

Well, sadly, I have to say to you repugnant, goose-stepping morons that this is all a ruse. This is just a fanatasy like Lord of the Rings to get your attention off of Paul O'Neil and the lies you were told about Iraq. This is just another lie.

Arguement and not insults? You haven't stated why, other then the fact that lots of money is being spent, you don't want a space program.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You people are so stupid.:shk:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
huh, guess not. Just insults. How sad...

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Arguement and not insults? You haven't stated why, other then the fact that lots of money is being spent, you don't want a space program.

Look, its all a LIE! How many times has Bush done this and NEVER come through. Remember No Child Left Behind? That was his idea. How many kids got left behind!

Why do you people fall for this crap!

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Erm...What are you talking about? We're talking about the Space Program. Bush didn't start that. Kennedy got it the major funding that it recieves now, although it lost a lot after getting to the moon. Yeah, Kennedy, a democrat, not a republican. The fact that NASA exists isn't, despite what you might want to believe, a Bush conspiracy...

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I think this new focus on the space program is great. To me, I think over the past several years we've lost focus. When I was a kid NASA, astronauts, etc, were all the buzz. Lately, it doesn�t seem like anyone has been all that enthused over it. Recent events seem to be changing that. Of course it�s a lot of money but unlike art education for the homeless, I really do think NASA pays for itself in the end through all the research dividends, pride, jobs, freeze-dried ice cream, and stuff like that. I�m elated to know we�ll probably put a man on mars (and return to the moon) in my lifetime. The future doesn�t belong to the faint of heart; it belongs to the brave.

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by Bob88]

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Look, its all a LIE! How many times has Bush done this and NEVER come through. Remember No Child Left Behind? That was his idea. How many kids got left behind!

Why do you people fall for this crap!

I never mentioned anything about Bush. I'm just answering a question about why NASA's equipment sent into space breaks down all the time. If we want to suceed in the Space Program, and I mean by sending manned mission to Mars and beyond, we have to put more into the space program. That's all I 'm saying. I for one don't think Bush's plan will suceed but that's what needs to happen IMO.

Mr. Mulder

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Erm...What are you talking about? We're talking about the Space Program. Bush didn't start that. Kennedy got it the major funding that it recieves now, although it lost a lot after getting to the moon. Yeah, Kennedy, a democrat, not a republican. The fact that NASA exists isn't, despite what you might want to believe, a Bush conspiracy...

Listen, all this crap Bush was spouting yesterday is just a smokescreen to get you to stop thinking about Paul O'Neil.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Ok, that's fine. But what do you think of the space program as a whole? What did you think of it when Clinton was in office? What did you think of it when any dem was in office? I mean, granted, if a republican is going to fund it, it must be evil, but what if a democrat funds it?

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Ok, that's fine. But what do you think of the space program as a whole? What did you think of it when Clinton was in office? What did you think of it when any dem was in office? I mean, granted, if a republican is going to fund it, it must be evil, but what if a democrat funds it?

Look, I think the space program is a great idea when there is money for it. Unfortuantley, Iraq, tax cuts for the rich, and mounting deficits make the space program cost prohibitive at the moment.

Thanks Bush.

(Someitmes I wonder if his objective is to bleed America dry)

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Thanks Bush.

You know Colonel, I wonder about that sometimes too. I don't completely trust Bush myself.

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder

Thanks Bush.

You know Colonel, I wonder about that sometimes too. I don't completely Bush myself.

That's a healthy attitude to take.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
My take on this whole thing that its a part of a plan conceived by NASA and implemented in the long term. We proved we could get to the moon (supposedly) so then set out to research long term affects on humans while keeping them close enough to bring home and advanced in technology enough to more efficiently travel to and from. A moonbase scientific ourpost is a great idea and now it must be feasible otherwise we wouldn't see Bush anouncing it during these times. Look, he didn't make this decision, its part of a long term plan. He just happned to be in the chair when it came time for a new step. Thats all.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Colonel: you seem to think there has to be a choice between the downtrodden and the space program.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Before there wasn't. Now, there is based upon all the money this administration has wasted, and all the jobs lost so no tax revenue, and all the programs cut

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
And, of course, because a republican is in office.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join