It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows Error Report sending.......?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Hi, don't know if this has been covered before, (I searched but couldn't find anything) or whether I'm posting in the right place if it has can someone please direct me to the thread.

Anyway, when your copmuter or a program has a problem it often wants to sent an Error Report to Microsoft.

I was wondering what is in that report it sends, how much information about your computer does it send to Microsoft?

What do they do with these reports? I used to send them but not any more, just doesnt seem worth it.

Not really too worried about it......or should we be?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer or help with this

MR

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Microsoft can get any info they want from your computer they want. thats what you really agree to when you use windows. Thats all you really need to know, if they want info on you, they would get it from your computer whether you know your sending it or not.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I sometimes monitor Task Manager when I'm closing windows and yesterday I noticed that Windows Vista calls up an application without asking permission which is called the Windows Error Reporting engine, or WER. You can search on this for more information.

Another benefit to having Microsux being your firewall - it would have let the report go right through had I not killed that program. Nice; thanks Bill.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The error reporting sends your Windows version, your CPU model, possibly some other hardwares model or version related to the crash. The process name that crashed, and its related DLLs versions. Possibly some language settings, or timestamps for those files, or other such system settings. Also included is a memory dump of the crash for debbuging purposes. Could that memory dump contain personal info that would have accidentally slipped in there from what you were working on at the time of the crash? Maybe, maybe not, I don't know. I'm no expert in that field.

You can turn this thing off easily
System Properties -> Advanced -> Error reporting -> Disable error reporting

top topics

join