Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Changing IP address

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Is there a way I can change my IP address? I have cable internet, and windows vista home premium if that helps.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
2 questions.

1. Are you behind a router or firewall (wireless or wired)? A good way to know this is if there are other people in your house that use the same internet connection that you pay for.

2. Do you want people on the outside to see the change of IP?

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
1. Yeah, im behind the regular windows firewall and an avast firewall.

2. No, i dont want anyone to know that it changed. I just want to look like a completely new system.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I apologize, I should have been more clear. The router or firewall I was referring to would be one that would assign IP addresses throughout a LAN. That's why I asked if anyone else was connecting to your internet connection. The only way for them to do that is to be behind a router. The router would assign each computer a different IP on the LAN. However that doesn't matter to the outside because all they see is your WAN address.

And when I asked if you wanted others to see the change in IP, I meant like a website that has your original IP marked.

Now that I know what you're looking for, I might be able to help. One way might be to reset your cable modem. Unplug it for 5-10 minutes, then plug it back in. With the modem offline for so long, your ISP may need to reassign your modem's IP address. I think that's how it works anyway.

You could also route all traffic through a proxy server.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I have DSL, what would I have to do?

And im very good with computers but it seems im lacking in this area, what is a proxy server?

Edn

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
assuming your ISP doesn't assign a static IP address (and most dont) then simply disconnecting and waiting half an hour before reconnecting should assign a new IP address to you.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Just curious as to why the urgency for a new IP. Unless you managed to get banned from a forum for example, a change of IP is largely a moot point.

Your cable connection IP is USUALLY dynamically assigned by your ISP, and while releasing and renewing your IP MAY change it, in some cases it may only change periodically, say once or twice a year. You should try calling your ISP for guidance for your specific service.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I have DSL, what would I have to do?

And im very good with computers but it seems im lacking in this area, what is a proxy server?

Don't do this unless you are either very sure of the proxy server or you really don't give a
's about everything you do on the internet (including passwords - cc card numbers in fact everything you type and view!!) being seen by the proxy server owner (which could very well be a 13 year old kid or a computer savvy mugger!)

Proxy server is like err. ever heard the phrase fighting a war by proxy? Like as in Russia fighting America through Vietnam? (Russia didn't do the fighting they just made sure weapons were available and kept egging the whole thing on) - Well the proxy server is like your Russia, America is your ISP and everything that goes back and forth HAS to go through your proxy (Vietnam) if you trust your proxy to respect your rights and privacy then fine - If you don't you have just signed over serious access to your system and surfing habbits (basically everything that your trusted ISP can also do but don't cos they are bound by law)

Phew - managed to get politics - tech advice and a rant in!! Off to the shop, there is alcohol with my name on it

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
The easiest way to obtain a new ip address is by getting a new Ethernet card. Your Ethernet card is the part of your computer that is connects to your modem. Ethernet cards are dirt cheap and can be purchased at any computer electronics store.

It is fairly easy to install one as well. Once you switch over to a new Ethernet card your ip address will be automatically changed.

If you don't feel comfortable installing an Ethernet card yourself you can always take it in and let a professional do it. They might even do it for free because it only takes a few minutes.

Another way you can change you ip address is talk to you internet service provider. They can change your ip address and will gladly do it if you ask.

Hope that helps.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

Ethernet works at the Data link layer. IP addressing is a function of the Network layer.Swapping cards wont allocate you a new IP, your router does that.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by rootlevelaccess

In my experiences every time I have changed my Ethernet card I have been given a new IP address. And I don't own a router. My ISP assigns me a static IP though and it never changes unless I either swap my Ethernet card or ask them to change it manually.

[edit on 9-29-2007 by CPYKOmega]

Edn

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
reply to post by rootlevelaccess

In my experiences every time I have changed my Ethernet card I have been given a new IP address. And I don't own a router. My ISP assigns me a static IP though and it never changes unless I either swap my Ethernet card or ask them to change it manually.

[edit on 9-29-2007 by CPYKOmega]

If thats the case then you dont have a static IP address, your ip address will only change on your local network with a new/extra eth card, your external ip (assuming its static) will stay the same, thats the whole point of a static ip.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Someone said that if you have a dynamic IP then you IP address will change if you unplug and plug back in your modem. Seeing as my ip never changes by doing this I only assume I have a static ip addy.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Is it possible to change an ip address on a dialup connection through internet explorer without using web proxies.

thanks for any suggestions.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
edit on 13-4-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Someone said that if you have a dynamic IP then you IP address will change if you unplug and plug back in your modem. Seeing as my ip never changes by doing this I only assume I have a static ip addy.

If you have a dynamic IP it should change every time you re-boot your modem. A new IP is applied when the modem boots up. You don't have to wait, other than the recommended one minute before turning the modem back on. You can also change it using the command screen, instruction at link bellow.

If you have dynamic, you can make your IP static with the right software. No real need to though unless you use your comp as a server. Dynamic is better for safety.

You can check what you have instructions here....

www.ehow.com...

edit on 4/13/2012 by ANOK because: This space for rent, U2U for rates...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
assuming your ISP doesn't assign a static IP address (and most dont) then simply disconnecting and waiting half an hour before reconnecting should assign a new IP address to you.

That is exactly how Time Warner works. They use a dynamic series of IPs, and all I need to is masquerade the one I am using, and I'm good. The closets anyone can track me is to Time Warner, Hardin, Va. I live more that 500 miles away from there. When I engage my proxy, my IP is a Chinese IP, through the TOR network and those big Internet Cafe servers.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Their are many forms and uses for IP addresses, I will go over a few for you.

External (WAN IP): Used for a other computers in the world to send you data to your computer, how else are they going to send data to you?
Static IP's: Your ISP has a fixed IP for you and it does not change when you reset the modem or after a certain period of time, this is common for DSL and is populor as you can host.
Dynamic IP's: Each time your modem reconnects and to the ISP you obtain an new IP, in some cases the ISP may force a new IP on you ever 24 hours. Cable and mobile internet is almost always dynamic.
Its worth noting most ISP's record the IP's the allocate to users and any given time, it is not any safer and does not stop authority tracking you...be warned.

You can disguise this IP (not hide) by using software such as TOR, VPN's and the use of proxy's which redirect your traffic through their internet...(you appear as their IP)
Like always your security always depends on the security of the other links, if your proxy is compromised then you may be worse off...use encryption where possible and known secure links.

Internal IP (LAN)
An Internal IP used to identify and send data to each networked device in the network, without it the router wouldn't know where to send the packets.
An internal IP may look like 10.0.0.1, 192.168.0.1 etc.
To obtain a new IP (given your router is on DHCP) you only need to plug the network cable in and out.
This will not prevent a agency from tracking you, agency's almost always go after your WAN ip.

["The easiest way to obtain a new ip address is by getting a new Ethernet card."]
No, this is untrue.
A new ethernet card will do nothing for your IP, it may give you a new "MAC address" however this can easily be spoofed by software and serves no real use other then identifying computers on an internal network and the use in network switches.
If your worried use a cheap ebay ethernet card as the mac address will most likely be similar across a wide range of cards and not unique to that card.

Hope this helps
edit on 13-4-2012 by phantom150 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by fjdslkfdjsklfj

are there any web proxies that avoid detection from open proxy checker www.checker.freeproxy.ru... is there a specific name given to the type of proxies which after connecting to the proxy server and running a port scan on the ip assigned to the client computer the result returned is no open ports.

besides using proxies are there other ways to change an ip address on a dialup connection which returns no open ports after running a port scan on the localhost. most web proxies are open i.e. after connecting to them and running a port scan on the ip of the client computer the result is open ports are found.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Don't know if this has been answered yet...

The only way to change your IP (assuming that you have a static address) is to contact your ISP and request such a change.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join