It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help With Home School Curriculum

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Hi as many of you are aware of, last year was a truly horrific one with the tragic loss of my 2 best female friends, my Mom and my Daughter. Needless to say the trips across country and the funeral expenses have left me broke.
I had decided to home school my youngest son due to a very traumatic experience he had in his first year of public school. I will not expound on this experience just now, but what I need is some 'free sites' that will offer really good and interesting curriculum for a well deserving first grader. Well actually 1-2nd grade would be more appropriate.
I have dedicated this year to helping him catch up to his grade level as last year I was more comatose than helpful. Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I home school too. I'm not sure what the equivalent level is for the US but I assume your son's quite young. I buy lots of reading books from ebay and charity shops where they're a fraction of the price. You can also sell them on later and get your money back. Some good web-sites I've found are starfall.com bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/numberskills.html Plenty of links to be found at - schoolhouse.org.uk/resource/links.html schoolscience.co.ukbbc.co.uk/schoolsHope some of these help. I find it easier not to rush things and do things at my own pace. We do plenty of cooking, planting seeds & just talking about stuff. If you find any good sites let me know. I'm always on the lookout for a new one.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Antar, Im so sorry to hear about what you went threw my friend. Things like that are never easy. And its something you will never fully get over, we just tend to learn how to cope with those kinda of loses..

I dont have much advice to give you on the schooling part, but I just wanted to come in and give you a hug, and let you know there are others who have suffered great losses. I for one am one of them, if you like to read my post about what I went threw and how I deal with these things day to day here you go.
My loss

I wish I could give you some advice on the schooling part but I dont have any kids.. But its great to know your not sending them off to a government training camp. Called public school..

Goodspeed friend, and I hope my exp. helps a little bit..

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Wow Antar, that is rough.I have homeschooled for 7 years now, and I use a multiple of sources.Internet, textbooks bought from used book stores, even TV.Yes great history and science to be learned from TV.Is there any homeschooling groups in your area?If not make sure you include extra outdoor activities that allow for socializing.Every child is different, and unfortunately most sites only offer Christian based material for sale.I suggest you use a variety of sources, not just the internet.Do you have a library nearby that offers age appropriate programs?

I wish you luck, and my thoughts are with you.You are never alone and many of us are just a u2u away OK? AD

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Wow, my heart is full with all of your responses. I will tackle all of the above mentioned sites to see if there are any that will get us started.
And yes I completely agree that the public school indoctrination is a pitiful situation for the most part. I have battled and stood alone before the all male school board members that raise cattle and pigs for a living, to ask for alternate meals (meatless) for my young children. Needless to say it took a lot of nerve and stacks of laws and regulations to back my plea. Although I won my case they began to feed my children PB@j everyday that they were fed at school. They have even singled my kids out of the lunch line and made them wait against the wall to further their demoralization and humiliation. But that is for another thread.
We are a good family and we are fortunate to have survived the effects of last year by being close and working together to create an organic farm and to live an alternate life in a world where it is contrary to say the least. I do take time to teach my kids a lot of stuff most are not even aware of all the while allowing them to stretch their wings and be the individuals they most certainly are. One of these days my 12 year old wants to come onto ATS,as he already sneaks into to talk to a few of the members like Minnie... That is one thing I have to say that makes ATS stand apart from any of the other sites I know of, it really does have something for everyone and we have some of the best if not the best moderators on the www. It is a safe place to live and grow in a variety of areas.
OK now I am off to check out some of those sites mentioned above. And again thank you so much.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I guess while such things as, for example, chemistry, biology, geography, etc. are maybe somehow important and probably might somehow help someone in life, they are way far not as important as self-confidence is. In my understanding, being confident, communicative, life-loving, somehow charismatic, looking for new ways in life in the key essence to success, with all this astronomy - literature somewhere on the background in the best case.

That way, I believe, when raising children it is better to make sure that they get what they will really need in life, such as mentioned above confidence, communicative skills, charisma, etc. and would become truly great personalities that others would be proud of living in the same time with.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
my 12 year old wants to come onto ATS,

My 11 year old does .. sometimes. I'm always sitting right next to her though. There are some wacky things and error-filled things that are posted here sometimes. Gotta' be careful.

Anyways ... we home schooled until 5th grade. We used the St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Home School. They have everything all set and ready to go. They have the books. They have the help. They have printed out what the child needs to learn each week. Etc etc.

www.setonhome.org...

Hard work but fantastic. We loved them.

Good luck!

[edit on 8/22/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
We used the St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Home School. They have everything all set and ready to go. They have the books. They have the help. They have printed out what the child needs to learn each week. Etc etc.

Sure, if your Catholic...

I'm wondering if there is a decent homeschool curriculum which isn't religious. All the homeschoolers I've ever met have been Christians.

My mom used Our Lady of the Rosary IIRC, and that stuff was OLD! I was using the same kind of books they used in the 60s. It was pretty advanced though, compared to what I was learning in a private school prior to that. They really are dumbing down the youth.

Plus if your homeschooling, please PLEASE get your kids involved in some social activities... homeschool groups, sports, whatever. It wasn't fun moving out to the middle of nowhere, Arkansas during my young teen years and not having any friends (till I got on the net).

There is such a thing as being too sheltered. I had to do quite a bit of catching up on my social skills once I got out in the real world. The net was a huge help for me though.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Thank you for all of your replies. I can take a bit from each of you for certain. I do worry a bit about my son not having enough socialization. Ok here's the short and skinny. I have 4 children living at home, 3 are in public school and although it is a huge pain it seems best for their education levels for now. OK my youngest went to kindergarten and was traumatized by the teachers for just sitting and gazing out the window or playing with his shirt tail whatever instead of getting his work done on time. I have been through the battle zones for them all believe me, but my youngest is a rather different kind of boy. He loves anything to do with Tibetan Llamas and monks, healing ,martial arts and meditation. He is a nature lover , I could go on and on. So In short I decided to go ahead and home school him and also teach him the healing arts and expose him to his interests through video, books and tapes . I have had a great time setting up his classroom and decorating it with him. It is joyful and fun and up lifting to say the least. Since the 16th of this month he has begun reading books on his own and is showing quite the ability in math spelling and the basics. He stuttered while in school also, and that is completely gone. I have been picking up all the walmart curriculum as well as used book stores and even some work books from his older siblings. I make up stuff as we go along too. Our entire family is supporting him and he is flourishing for the most part. However being new to this adventure I am very interested in any and all info , ideas and help I can get for him. Also we do have an organic farm and he enjoys learning about plants herbs and working for healthy food. (If John Tritor is right we will all have to learn to be self sufficient.) Well Tired Gnite.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
If you want some English schemes of work that I use in school myself, just drop me a U2U and I'll email them to you if it will help...

They are from the UK - like me, but nevertheless they are interesting and do build and develop skills in English.

Short and sweet, LOL.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Antar

I sent you a U2U.
I home schooled my son last year, hes 13. We did ok with it and even had some fun but I felt like I was taking something away from him by him
not being around the "atmosphere" of school and other kids, etc.
Some of the most memorable times of a persons teenage years come from
being at school, girlfriends, best friends etc..
He made the decision to go back to school this year himself, so well see how it goes.
I sent you a U2U with some links to home school resources, i took the easy way out and used a web based curriculum at www.time4learning.com

Good luck

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I've been home schooling my four for several years now and could go on and on about how much we all love it!

I have a child about that grade level. I don't think you will need to spend a whole lot on curriculum. There are sooo many sites that are interactive or have pages to print. I have bookmarked too many to count. Let me know if you would like specific ones. And, like AccessDenied, we use the tv (History Channel, Discovery, etc.). You can make your own worksheets and flashcards. And the library should give you plenty of resources.

I don't use one curriculum. I've found which publishers work best for us in each subject. When we are ready for the next grade, I just search for the best price. One site that I've used a lot is Abebooks.com. Most books are under $5 (many around $1) and shipping is fairly cheap. They also have Teacher's books.

You don't need fancy books. Just remember to make it fun and interesting....and the learning will take care of itself.

If you'd like more ideas about any aspect of home schooling, let me know!

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
KrOnOs and better half, thank you so much. Been a crazy day around here but I will get back with you tomorrow. I don't want to let this thread die as more and more people are beginning to consider the homeschool alternative. I love getting all of the different opinions and ideas, it makes me feel supported by this forum community. I am certain that as time goes by I will need more help and advice. So be sure and check back and we can share ideas. I wonder just how many people do homeschool here? Gnite all Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
With all due respect, educating your child is something you should leave to someone with training in the field of education. You would probably not have somebody who has never worked on a car before to perform a complicated repair on your car, and similarly you would not want somebody with no experience or training as an educator teaching your son.

Since you are coming online to ask adivce about planning a curriculum, I am assuming you have little or no experience or training in education. Perhaps your child would be better off if they received their education from someone with training or experience. Furthermore, would you trust some guy you have never met named Uioeachtl77890 to give you advice on your child's future?

I know the public schools have their problems, but they have their benefits as well. Public schools would give your child access to a teacher who will at least have some training and some experience. You could also arrange to have your child see a therapist to help him cope with his traumatic experience through the public school. Most importantly, the public school will give your child a chance to socialize and interact with other children his age on a regular basis.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
To the above poster,

As a qualified high school teacher, I would always suggest that the best place to educate a child is in school - at least in the UK where I am.

However, what we need to realise, is that many people find the educational system as it stands immoral, or at worst, failing students because of the emphasis on training students to pass a test rather than 'educating' them, if you will.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
To the above poster,

As a qualified high school teacher, I would always suggest that the best place to educate a child is in school - at least in the UK where I am.

However, what we need to realise, is that many people find the educational system as it stands immoral, or at worst, failing students because of the emphasis on training students to pass a test rather than 'educating' them, if you will.

Ultimatelym I have the upmost respect for anyone willing to take on the challenge of home-educating, for whatever reason. It isn't easy, and they will have to pass the smae exams as everyone else. All I will do, as a professional, is say good luck and offer my help...

And let's be honest, the school system today has many, many flaws.....However, this aint the time or place to go into it.

Fair point though :-)

[edit on 4-9-2007 by more_serotonin_pls]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Whoa nellie! Put the brakes on right here and now. As far as 'my' educational back ground it has nothing to do with asking perhaps more seasoned home school parents for tips and advice on the best direction that they found useful. I find that I spend more time online for everything from making purchases, bill paying to connecting with family and friends not to mention my unquenchable thirst for knowledge. I can see a future where like in John Titors America , we rely solely on the Internet for everything. I would much rather pick and choose from the choices I have online than what the programmers have in store for me to watch. When I talk to my granddaughters I love to see their beautiful faces and hear them as we communicate. All of this is because of my time on the computer rather than the conventional use of telephones, snail mail, and spending 100's of dollars a month to travel to the nearest city for shopping which is a 95 miles round trip if I only stay to the North end of the city.
Now as far as my children's educations go, I have a 12 year old son that without going into a whole bunch of crap about the educational system where we live, has tested in the upper 15% in science nation wide, I doubt that he received that kind of information solely at his public school. Too many parents push the kids out the door and are all too happy to allow another to raise their child out of convenience. It really does take much more than that to raise a successful young adult in today's society. I am very proud of all my children. They are GOOD kids and that in and of its self is rare today. They are free thinkers and creative individuals. They take a lot of flack by being raised in the heart of the bible belt, in a meat growers community, and we are spiritual not religious and we do not eat animal flesh. I cannot go into it all right now but life from the public school has been hell. My second son who is in 3rd grade tested 5th grade level on the first week of 1st grade. He did not get that from our kindergarten program I can assure you. He is so incredibly talented and extremely telepathic and sensitive to boot. My step daughter was horribly abused at the hands of her mother and step father from the time she was 2. She has a very rare disease I will not mention at this time , but is vulnerable to death if she even gets a flu bug. In the 3 years she has been with us she has never been sick, even though the only peace she experienced was when she was taken to hospitals from town to town. Even in foster care she was in the hospital more than out. So, she does need the special ed. program here and is well cared for and gets much one on one and a lot of TLC from our specialized course. This leads us to my little one , and for reasons I will not go into now, needs to be home schooled. He is doing great and is far more advanced than his sister in special ed. she is in the 4th grade. I just think that in this society it is rare to find a school where nepotism and personal vengeance does not get in the way of good students. In our school it is so true. There are more politicians kids going there than anyplace else in the state. It is very old fashioned and back woods mentality. The elite do controll the school here. I have noticed that their kids are almost dead looking and acting, they are like automatons and are being prepped for political positions and well all of the limited scholarships available. They choose them from preschool, which I find so wrong. And preschool is just glorified day care. My kids learned so much during that time and were so full of discovery, what a waste to send them at 3-4 years old to be indoctrinated into society. They were not ready for society at 3-4 years old. They needed to laugh and play and read and paint and sing and crawl, in a loving place with people that praised and cherished them, not push them down and hold them back because they were just another kid in the crowd. I have so much more to say but will stop here. As for my credentials, well I did very well and when checking back to see if I could return to my last college, they were thrilled and said with your grade point average? We want you back!

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by otherhalf

Also reply to Access denied! You got it gals thats the style and the feel Im looking for. I know what you mean about finding the huge ammounts of stuff available, I actually have more now than I need lol, yet I did pay for a school last year, lost my mind dont remember what its called right now, only 89 for the year and it had all grades, we just found it limiting and still had to span out for more as he would finish grade levels too fast I thought. Too easy... Where Braden is slow is in reading so thats kind of hard to deal with I have to sit with him every step of the way. I would like to see him bump that up this year and it is just a matter of confidence, he is right on the edge. But he is doing work way beyond his grade level... We do keep it fun tho and I love his spirit.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I see this thread is really old, but I am to start homeschooling my boys this year and I really want some advice. My eldest was in a private school and finished k and 1st grade, my youngest wont be 5 untill dec, so he will still be in Pre k.
I live in a really small town, and I don't personally know anyone here that home-schools, although I have heard of a few families. I just want to know exactly how to get started. I want to use the Charlotte Mason method because that's what the school my son went to used. I really want to do this as inexpensively as possible. Ive looked online for days now, and I cant seem to find a free, or low cost step by step plan on getting started. Anyone willing to help me, or offer advice on how to start?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
My daughter started to read using Ladybird Read-it-yourself level 1 series, and it grew from there. Try find them on ebay. Each book tells a full story but there's only about twenty words in them. It's the repetition of these words that helps them sink in.

If you can get your children to read a lot, they shouldn't have a problem with spelling. Some low level classical music in the background helps with learning too.

We use page-per-day diaries for my daughter's school work. She has one each for maths, reading, and english, (just recently I gave her a geography/history one too). I think one page is sufficient for a day. Though we use mounds of scrap paper, the diary is the stuff that's kept, or copied into for record.

When she reads some chapters of a book I get her to write a small paragraph of what she's read in the reading diary (that helps with handwriting and punctuation) and underneath she notes the title and how many pages she's done. When the book is complete we add it to a list in the front of the diary.

Some other useful tips-

Try keep the telly off but watch out for educational programmes.
Give them a measuring tape and get them to measure everything. (soon they'll be telling you how many square metres carpet you need)
Send them off to count stuff for you.
Do home baking, let them get messy.
If you can, set aside a room for most of the work and hang stuff up on the wall.
Motto - REPETITION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL LEARNING.

ps Don't be scared of taking days off whenever you want. You're in charge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join