It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: Laser Printers Pose a Significant Health Hazard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   

WARNING: Laser Printers Pose a Significant Health Hazard

www.pcworld.com

Some home and office laser printers pose serious health risks and may spew out as much particulate matter as a cigarette smoker inhales, an Australian air quality researcher said Tuesday.

The study, appeared today in the online edition of the American Chemical Society's Environmental Science & Technology (ES&T) journal, measured particulate output of 62 laser printers, including models from name brands such as Canon, Hewlett-Packard and Ricoh. Particle emissions, believed to be toner --
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I sit about 6 feet away from a laser printer at work daily. After reading this article I realized that I do feel like I am inhaling particles in the air. I usually assume its just "allergies" when I get a feeling in the back of my throat, but it makes much more sense that it is the build up of disgusting ink particles floating about in my office. I really want to sue but don't even have a lawyer and I'll probably get lung cancer which everyone will blame smoking cannabis on. However I am sincerely worried they will let this blow over without even a recall in mind. Anyones thoughts?

www.pcworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I would suggest investigating to see if the printer you sit next to is one the "high emmiters".

In modern society, printers are widely used in the office environment. This study investigated particle number and PM2.5 emissions from printers using the TSI SMPS, TSI CPC 3022, and 3025A TSI P-Trak and DustTrak. The monitoring of particle characteristics in a large open-plan office showed that particles generated by printers can significantly (p = 0.01) affect the submicrometer particle number concentration levels in the office. An investigation of the submicrometer particle emissions produced by each of the 62 printers used in the office building was also conducted and based on the particle concentrations in the immediate vicinity of the printers, after a short printing job, the printers were divided into four classes: non-emitters, and low, medium, and high emitters. It was found that approximately 60% of the investigated printers did not emit submicrometer particles and of the 40% that did emit particles, 27% were high particle emitters. Particle emission characteristics from three different laser printers were also studied in an experimental chamber, which showed that particle emission rates are printer-type specific and are affected by toner coverage and cartridge age. While a more comprehensive study is still required, to provide a better database of printer emission rates, as well as their chemical characteristics, the results from this study imply that submicrometer particle concentration levels in an office can be reduced by a proper choice of the printers.

60% tested did not emit any particles, sounds to me like its the older models, but I would still check it out to be sure if the one you sit next to falls into this catagory.

I would focus on this in particular This study investigated particle number and PM2.5 emissions from printers using the TSI SMPS, TSI CPC 3022, and 3025A TSI P-Trak and DustTrak.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The printer I specifically sit next to IS an HP, an older model one also. It is an HP LaserJet 5M. Since it IS an older model that in particular makes me cautious, but if anyone can find specific info on that particular printer that would be very interesting and valuable information to me.

Anyone else sitting near or around laser printers on a daily basis try to see if you can feel any buildup in the back of your throat. I personally had to concentrate because I'm the type to blow off injuries like they aren't a big deal.

Hewitt Packard LaserJet 5M

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
please check out my thread about half way down ..www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by slaveearth

Thanks but there is very little information there regarding the subject.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
[edit on 17-8-2007 by blowfishdl]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl

Originally posted by slaveearth

Thanks but there is very little information there regarding the subject.

yes but there is finally a substance that is just as bad for you
but made public many years later ...it seems lately smokes are the only bad taboo in this town

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
I sit about 6 feet away from a laser printer at work daily. After reading this article I realized that I do feel like I am inhaling particles in the air. Anyones thoughts?

Get a 20 inch box fan and a one-size-fits-all MERV 9 washable HVAC filter. Cut the filter down to 20x20 and attach to the back (input) of the fan with some wire so that it is easily removeable.

Leave the fan under your desk with the filter on while you work on a low setting. When you see the filter get clogged, wash it out, but collect the water in a tub. Let the sediment settle and then decant.

Have the particulate matter that settles tested at a local university.

Then you might have a case.

I live with a box fan and filter set up much the same 24/7 because of the dirty situation I exist in.

I am,

Sri Oracle

top topics

join