It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska volcano could be on the verge of massive eruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Alaska volcano could be on the verge of massive eruption

seattletimes.nwsource.com

ANCHORAGE — One of the most active volcanoes in the Aleutian arc could be working toward a massive, explosive eruption that could affect air travel, scientists said Thursday.

Satellite images of Pavlof Volcano taken Thursday showed strong thermal readings, consistent with what the Alaska Volcano Observatory is calling a "vigorous eruption of lava" at the volcano about 590 miles southwest of Anchorage on the Alaska Peninsula.

The volcano lies directly in the path of hundreds of daily...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed excessive copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I do hope this does not happen.

I know we have some members from Alaska, are there any news about this?

seattletimes.nwsource.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I am not worried about it. It is way to far away to affect us in Anchorage. Yeah, it will cause disruptions in air travel, but they always work around that. No worries.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the .s up wrangell76.

The way they are talking about a "possible massive eruption" makes me think perhaps such an eruption at the least would not only affect air traffic but could affect the air quality in Alaska for a while, but at lest it is good to know it is far from Anchorage.

Are there any other cities closer to the volcano?

[edit on 17-8-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The recent news regarding the further increase in melting of sea ice would be even worse combined with a large eruption.

The sheer amount of carbon released if indeed it is a large eruption would no doubt have an effect by 2008 and 2009 into even further increases in sea ice melting, which again would have an even further knock on effect to weather and current cycles.

But these things will happen again and again its the nature of a volcano.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It seems that these small releases are a good thing. An inconvenience to air traffic, oh well. If it built up to a Mt St Helen's, that would be catastrophic. I had to wash that ash off of my car, and I lived in Nova Scotia at the time. What would an ash fallout like that do to the Arctic and Tundra? Don't even want to think about that. It's a brittle ecosystem as it is.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Pretty interesting, in a sick sort of way.

I understand peoples lives would be in danger, but if they're so sure it's going to erupt then that gives them fair warning to prepare for the inevitable. At least I hope.

The ecosystem of the Arctic though, as intrepid said, worries me. Would it be able to survive a massive volcanic eruption? It's already teetering on the edge of collapse, what with 'global warming' and all that.

As long as no-one is hurt, then it shouldn't be too bad. There's nothing we can do about the effects on nature, we'll just have to sit back and watch it all pan out.

new topics

top topics

join