It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA decides against shuttle repair in orbit.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

NASA decides against shuttle repair in orbit.

www.msnbc.msn.com

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - NASA decided Thursday that no repairs are needed for a deep gouge in Endeavour’s belly and the space shuttle is safe to fly home.

Endeavour’s bottom thermal shielding was pierced by a piece of debris that broke off the external fuel tank shortly after liftoff last week. The debris, either foam insulation, ice or a combination of both, weighed just one-third of an ounce (10 grams) but packed enough punch to carve out a 3.5-inch-long, 2-inch-wide (9-by-5-centimeter) gouge and dig all the way through the thermal tiles. Left completely exposed was a narrow 1-inch (2.5-centimeter) strip of the overlying felt fabric, the last barrier before the shuttle’s aluminum structure.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
WOW, does anyone else see a potential catastrophic event going down on reentry. It seems to me that any hole or gouge on the belly of the shuttle could cause major issues upon reentry. NASA says it’s no big deal and the chairman of the mission management team, John Shannon, said Johnson Space Center’s engineering group in Houston wanted to proceed with the repairs. He quoted the group as saying, “We're OK with ‘use as is,’ but ... we think it would be prudent to repair.” .....well duhhhhhh IMO it’s a no brainer here. Anyone else think this decision is a bad one? I agree with the saying if its not broken don’t fix it, but in this case it is broken!!!

I know there are many people here on ATS with opinions about this, so please someone explain to me why this damage is not potentially harmful to the crew upon reentry. And why NASA would not be concerned with total safety being addressed in this situation?

Thank you

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
There is already a discussion ongoing from yesterday at the following link 3 threads down from yours on the same board.

Search is your friend

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Existing discussion here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

top topics

join