It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Idea. What do you think? (To all writers)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Way back when I wrote a good 4 to 6 hours out of the day, I use to sponsor and lead a contest on another forum The contest was simple.

I write an opening to a short story, sometimes a sentence, sometimes a paragraph and you, my fellow writers, complete the story.

I put no word count limitation on the contest, however, you should keep the story down to a maximum of a few pages. A good guideline to go by here would be less than 20,000 characters probably since that would consist of two posts. Understandably, some will be shorter/longer than others but you should be able to keep the story under say 30,000 characters (or 3 full posts) easily.

For now, and since I have not the authority to do so, there will be no points awarded. However, I will pick a winner from the bunch, probably with a bit of help from some of those that have no entered. If the contest garners a bit of attention and enthusiasm from you guys, perhaps I can start doing it again full time here and we can see about getting the winners and runners up some points.

Until then, are you guys game?

Remember, the main (and pretty much only) rule that your story must follow is that it must start with the EXACT beginning that I give you. (naturally, your stories must conform to ATS ToS as well.)

You can look at this as a challenge, writing practice and fun.

Short Story Challenge Number 1:

"It's been six months since I've slept more than an hour. Everytime I close my eyes, I am drawn back to the night I made the worst decision of my life. There are so many fates worse than death."

Have Fun!
Jasn

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I hate to rain on your parade but there are regular short story contests on ATS, in fact there is one in progress at the moment, (MSDWC) The Mid Summer Dream Writing Contest. Check it out, you have until the end of the month to submit a story and there are points awarded as prizes.

There are also a heap of fantastic story's written by the members of ATS to be found here,ATS Short Story Forum, as well.

mojo.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
You aren't raining on my parade

Besides, another new contest never hurts.

Jasn

new topics

join