It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Ruins -- What to look for?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hi everyone -- first post but longtime reader, I've developed a respect for you all and so come to you for advice.

In a couple months, I will be taking a vacation to the Yucatan region of Mexico, as well as Belize City, and I really want to see some Mayan ruins. Particularly Dzibiltchun (sp?). What should I look for, and particularly is there anything spooky/paranormal/haunted/etc known to be around any of the ruins? I'm fascinated by this stuff

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Chichentiza (sp) is beautiful

Look out for Chagbull *sun god* and always try and get a guided tour around sites as they normally give u the nitty gritty stuff!

Enjoy ur stay and take LOTS of mozzie replent...trust me...u'll need it!!!!!!

also remember to get all ur jags..like Hep and Thyphoid

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Congratulations and I hope you make the most of your trip. I would recommend that you take special note of any old wells or caves that go deep underground. The locals have lots of legends and folklore related to thise kinds of areas, and I think this is the kind of stuff you are looking for. If you into a superstitious cave, I recommend that you go prepared for anything.

If youre looking for conventional ruins and stuff, you may want to add Panama to your itinerary, as that was a crucial part of the former Mayan civilization.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Hello,

It you're looking to be a archaeo-tourist and Guatelmala are great places to look. The are several American Universities that have sponsored digs in country (neither Belize or Guatelmala has the cash to do it themselves). Last time I was there the University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin both had digs going.

There a MANY unexplored sites. most are mounds covered with plant growth for the jungle reclaims it's territory quickly in that part of the world.

The farther you get from "civilization" the more dangerous it gets, so if you intend to strike off for yourself be prepared for the worst.

If you just want to be a tourist go to TIKAL. It is amazing. Just don't lie down on the sacrifical altar during the Summer Soltice.

hrxll

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yeah, I've heard Belize was really good for Mayan sites. They even claim to have been the hub of Mayan civilization for a time. However, I've also heard it's really hard to get to any of their ruins, because their infrastructure is so bad. So, I figured the Yucatan would be a better bet.

Chichen Itza sure, but I fear it'll be overrun with tourists and various tourist-y things. That's most of why I mentioned Dzibiltchun, as everything I've read says it was a massive, major ceremonial center, and isn't as popular with the tourists (though maybe there's a reason for that?). Plus, being a ceremonial center, there might be weird spiritual/religious stuff to be found (and possibly experienced).

top topics

join