It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elijah's Mantle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It seems that the power of God that parted the Red Sea, and the power of God manifested in the Ark of the Covenant that parted the Jordan River was somehow imparted to Elijah's mantle, possibly during his time in the cave on mount Horeb.

1 Kings

8 And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.

9 And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?

10 And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:

12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

13 And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?

14 And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

This may have been when Elijah's mantle was anointed by the Lord with the power to part the waters of the Jordan River. What other powers may it have wielded in the hands of a man of God?

Fast forward to the day Elijah is to be taken up into heaven by the whirlwind.

2 Kings

8 And Elijah took his mantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground.

9 And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.

10 And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.

11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

12 And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

13 He took up also the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and went back, and stood by the bank of Jordan;

14 And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the LORD God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over.

Elisha immediately uses Elijah's mantle to duplicate the feat of parting the Jordan. This passage of the Bible is usually used to support the existence of UFO's in the Bible, but I am actually more curious about the mantle and its powers than the flaming chariot and horses parting Elijah and Elisha and drawing Elijah up to heaven in the whirlwind.

Any comments?

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Elisha immediately uses Elijah's mantle to duplicate the feat of parting the Jordan. This passage of the Bible is usually used to support the existence of UFO's in the Bible, but I am actually more curious about the mantle and its powers than the flaming chariot and horses parting Elijah and Elisha and drawing Elijah up to heaven in the whirlwind.

Any comments?

What first crossed my mind while reading your post was wondering if that is where the cape magicians use came from.

Looking mantle up in Strong's is really no help. It just gives a "robe", etc. as it's definition. So....perhaps the powers aren't in the mantle at all but it just signifies the passing of power to Elisha from Elijah, as in crowning someone to show they are the ruler. Or....is it as the staff of Moses. A simple token or something more?

Now, that is all I see but I feel that you have put more serious thought into this and have another idea. What does that mantle signify to you?

.................Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Really it just stood out to me in my reading of the OT. It made me curious.

God of course has the power to make miracles happen regardless of time, place, and circumstance.

I just wonder what was significant about the mantle being passed from Elijah to Elisha. It may be nothing more than a symbolic representation of the changing of the guard.

On another note, what do you think of Elijah and Enoch as candidates for the two witnesses? They are the only two OT figures I can think of that were taken bodily up into Heaven by The Lord.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I always thought that the 'mantle' was figurative rather than literal, and that it referred to some kind of divine power, like Whirlwind said.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I love the stories we have of Elijah and wish we knew more.

There sure was some serious power dwelling on mountains back then. Even Jesus would go up on them to pray. You wondering about Elijah's mantle reminds me of..... me wondering about Aaron's rod. Even the Egyptians had rod's that could turn to a serpent, but Aaron's rod was still more powerful.

My guess is that when the Holy Spirit was within them, that energy had to be directed through something to manifest it's power. Sort of like a battery is used.

My father believed that Elijah and Moses would be the last two witnesses. My arguement at the time was for Elijah and Enoch, since neither experienced a natural death. I've even wondered if it could possibly be Elijah and John the Baptist. Jesus himself said that there has never been a man, born of a woman who is greater than John.

[edit on 8-9-2007 by Myrtales Instinct]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The mantle may have been a prayer shawl with God's laws written in knots on the corners. A Talit. When Jesus raised up the young girl from the dead, He said something like "Talitha cummi" Which I've heard translated as ,she who is in the talit, arise.
Elisha was the one who laid on the dead boy who arose, wasn't he?

I am so lazy tonight. I don't want to look up anything. I just got off work...

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

On another note, what do you think of Elijah and Enoch as candidates for the two witnesses? They are the only two OT figures I can think of that were taken bodily up into Heaven by The Lord.

Usually when I hear teaching on the "two witnesses" they are said to be Enoch and Elijah as both were "taken". My personal feeling is the same as that of the father of Myrtales Instinct.....Moses and Elijah.

The Bible clearly states that Elijah was taken. Moses, on the other hand, isn't that clear but I believe clues tell us he was also "taken". We know that he penned the first five books of God's Word. At the end of Deuteronomy he couldn't have been the one that wrote of his own death. So, that book had to be completed by another. The Bible I study from, the Companion Bible, KJV which states, about the writer ...Deu.34:34 "is editorial and historical. Always part of the Pentateuch. Probably by Joshua, Samuel, or School of Prophets"

Deu.34:5 So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord.

Does that mean that the Lord told another of the death of Moses and that person wrote of it? Does it mean according to the word where the Lord told Moses he wouldn't cross over (but thou shalt not go over thither)? The statement is a little ambiguous.

34:6 And He buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.

34:7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.

Moses died the youngest of any of his family. Levi was 137, Kohath was 133, Amram was 137, Aaron 123 and Miriam 126 or more.

As no one saw Moses after he was taken by God, no one saw him die, no one "knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day"....did Moses die or was he "taken". In vs.6 we're told that God buried him and that is said of no other. When he reappears at the Mt. of Transfiguration he does so with Elijah, who we know was transfigured, "taken".

So.....the two, Elijah and Moses, appear with Christ in a transfigured body. The lawgiver and the prophet with the Messiah. It wasn't just chance that allowed it to be written who was with Him at that time.

Another consideration is found in Jude 9....Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke thee."

Why did the devil want the bones of Moses? I believe because the Lord didn't allow him to die but to be transfigured and witness against Satan in the end of days. Who better to preach against the deception of Satan with all of his lies then the Law Giver himself - Moses, and the Prophet himself - Elijah?

There couldn't be a more dynamic duo than those two to be the two witnesses of the Word of God to bring all that He calls and those of free will to the salvation He offers.

I wonder how God "shewed him all the land of Gilead......but didn't let him go over?

.......Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
You make good points, and I really don't have much to add. Moses and Elijah seem to be prime candidates as the witnesses, representing the Law and the Prophets as they did during the Transfiguration of Christ.

I know why Moses wasn't allowed to go over.

Numbers 20

7 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

8 Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink.

9 And Moses took the rod from before the LORD, as he commanded him.

10 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?

11 And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.

12 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

I get the impression the Lord gave Moses increased vision from the mountain of Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, in his final moments, to see the land he could not enter.

Deuteronomy 34

4 And the LORD said unto him, This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.

Fascinating stuff!

Back to Elijah's mantle. Thank you Clearskies for your contribution regarding a Talit, or prayer shawl. That may very well be the answer to my questions regarding the power of Elijah's mantle.

Btw, it was Elisha who revived the dead boy by laying upon him. First he blessed the Shunammite woman who provided him with bread with the boy as her son. (2 Kings 4:16) Then when the boy died Elisha revived him.

2 Kings 4

34 And he went up, and lay upon the child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his hands: and he stretched himself upon the child; and the flesh of the child waxed warm.

35 Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.

God is faithful!

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I get the impression the Lord gave Moses increased vision from the mountain of Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, in his final moments, to see the land he could not enter.

Deuteronomy 34

4 And the LORD said unto him, This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.

Fascinating stuff!

It is fascinating. I wonder, if instead of increasing the vision of Moses, He actually "took him up", as He did Elijah?

I would feel silly saying this on other sites, but as this is ATS, it makes it easier to say that I truly believe in UFO's. I find what I consider to be many references to them throughout the Bible. The most obvious is in Ezekiel with Elijah.

Father spoke with Moses in a "cloud" on the mountain. Is that the same "cloud" he took him up in? Is it the same "great cloud" that took Elijah?

Ez.1:4. And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.

In the revised version in the margin it states - "flashing continually". The "colour amber" is glowing metal, as bronze. So....What is this whirlwind, cloud that continually flashes and glows and contains a throne and "the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord" that also speaks?

Fascinating indeed!!!

.......Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I hate to say this, whirlwind, but the cloud described in Ezekiel 1:4 resonates eerily with me as the mushroom cloud resulting from the detonation of a nuclear warhead, witnessed by an individual with no reference point as to what it is. The "four living creatures" described in the following verses are eerily similar to a flight of Apache Attack Helicopters, again witnessed by a man with no reference point as to what they are. Ezekiel was in "the land of the Chaldeans by the river Chebar," what I believe to be in the vicinity of modern day Western Iraq. I believe God gave Ezekiel a vision of the future we see unfolding in front of us right now. Not a particularly hopeful or promising interpretation, but no less valid given the current situation over there.

I used to wonder why many of the OT books of prophecy started with "The burden of....." Now I realize it is a burden to have such things revealed to you by God, and to be tasked with imparting them to those around you.

I do believe the pillar of smoke by day and fire by night that led Moses and the Israelites out of Egypt may have been some kind of advanced craft sent by God for just that purpose. I don't believe in extraterrestrials, though, I believe in superterrestrials.

We were, after all, created in the image of God.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I hate to say this, whirlwind, but the cloud described in Ezekiel 1:4 resonates eerily with me as the mushroom cloud resulting from the detonation of a nuclear warhead, witnessed by an individual with no reference point as to what it is. The "four living creatures" described in the following verses are eerily similar to a flight of Apache Attack Helicopters, again witnessed by a man with no reference point as to what they are. Ezekiel was in "the land of the Chaldeans by the river Chebar," what I believe to be in the vicinity of modern day Western Iraq. I believe God gave Ezekiel a vision of the future we see unfolding in front of us right now. Not a particularly hopeful or promising interpretation, but no less valid given the current situation over there.

I used to wonder why many of the OT books of prophecy started with "The burden of....." Now I realize it is a burden to have such things revealed to you by God, and to be tasked with imparting them to those around you.

I do believe the pillar of smoke by day and fire by night that led Moses and the Israelites out of Egypt may have been some kind of advanced craft sent by God for just that purpose. I don't believe in extraterrestrials, though, I believe in superterrestrials.

We were, after all, created in the image of God.

That is very interesting. I have never heard that interpretation before but after reading 1:4 I can see how you came to that conclusion. Also the next several verses could describe helicopters or other vehicles.

I'll have to spend more time in those scriptures looking with a different frame of mind.

........Whirlwind

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Yeah, I thought I remembered that Moses was typically considered to have been taken straight into heaven, but I couldn't find anything to prove it, so I didn't say it in my last post.

new topics

top topics

join