It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the Bible do for folks?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
and god is a misogynist according to both the OT and NT

I pretty much dismantled your entire argument there. Check your "myATS favorites" for the Militant Atheist page.

And please, stop being so militant. Its not healthy nor productive.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I've been noticing a steady and systematic attack on Christians here on ATS lately. Anyone else notice the rising number of Anti-Christian threads? And every single time a Pro-Christian thread comes up, you have very devoted Atheists popping up to try and debate EVERY SINGLE LAST pro-Christian post.

Is ATS safe for Christians anymore? I mean, this is the FAITH, SPIRITUALITY, AND THEOLOGY forum. Can't a couple of Christians just talk freely about their religion without being ambushed by Atheists??? It's starting to piss me off.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheB1ueSoldier

Sticks and stones, mate!

Get over it. Surely the whole point is that we don't agree!

The concept of God to me is just out and about wrong, to you it's the be all and end all of life itself. And if we were all the same life would be oh so dull!

MonKey:2nd degree ninja atheist bad boy cheeky begger!

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaruseleh
There are a lot of words that, when translated, could mean numerous different things.....

In the Bible there are verses that have dual applications. I suppose there could also be triple and quadruple and so on applications. So to say it's twisted I believe would be incorrect.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier
I've been noticing a steady and systematic attack on Christians here on ATS lately. Anyone else notice the rising number of Anti-Christian threads?

It's also in daily life(watch the news). Christian persecution worldwide has always been and steadily increasing in volume and intensity. But it is happening more in the U.S. now.

Right on schedule though.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I've been noticing a steady and systematic attack on Christians here on ATS lately.

no christians, mate, christianity. it's called attacking the argument and not the arguer. the problem is that you identify too strongly with the argument and tend to take attacks on it a tad personally.

Anyone else notice the rising number of Anti-Christian threads?

again, anti-christianity doesn't = anti-christian. i have no problem with christians, some of my closest friends are christians.

And every single time a Pro-Christian thread comes up, you have very devoted Atheists popping up to try and debate EVERY SINGLE LAST pro-Christian post.

it's a pro-christian argument being presented. we atheists tend to duck out of discussions that are purely of a praising nature and argument neutral.

Is ATS safe for Christians anymore? I mean, this is the FAITH, SPIRITUALITY, AND THEOLOGY forum. Can't a couple of Christians just talk freely about their religion without being ambushed by Atheists??? It's starting to piss me off.

the question is "what does the bible do for folks?"
this isn't a discussion that is christian exclusive. it's a discussion over a piece of literature that is available to the community at large.

now, i must scold you.
bad soldier, you can't have a persecution complex
not yours

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Who's ambushing? We have a right to speak, too. If someone is taking things personally and getting pissed off by what I see are mostly rational calm questions about something debatable, then I think the pissed off person should take a step back and assess what is going on inside themselves.

Why take our disbelief so personally? And as I've said before, several times in this forum and on this board, telling atheists to butt out is attempted censorship.

If one's beliefs can't stand honest scrutiny and rational questioning, then that is the believer's problem. When I see attacks on this board, I nearly always see them flowing from believers to atheists, not the other way around. I've had nasty comments put on my profile, been called names, been told I"m worse than a murderer, and by people who are supposedly followers of the god of love, that Jesus guy.

Perhaps it's just a projection on the part of the believers to assume atheists are attacking and angry. We are not doing either. But I have certainly been attacked for speaking my mind on a subject.

Believers don't have a monopoly on the faith forum. Just as people who believe in UFOs don't have a monopoly on the UFO forum. Skeptics are entitled to equal time on any subject. If one doesn't like it, there is always the Ignore button.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Who's ambushing? We have a right to speak, too. If someone is taking things personally and getting pissed off by what I see are mostly rational calm questions about something debatable, then I think the pissed off person should take a step back and assess what is going on inside themselves.

If one doesn't like it, there is always the Ignore button.

Perfectly said. I've seen this alot on threads. I've ignored people I don't care to deal with or see their replies. It's not that hard to do, you just click the ignore button and your anger will disappear.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
To me the bible gives me strength to try to accomplish all my goals in life, to be thankful of those who truely love you, and most important of all to live each day as if it was your last since ya never know when you'll leave this world and move on to the next. I've lost so many relatives who I've never had the chance to really bond with so now all I have to rely on is my faith in that everything would be alright and that they may rest in peace. I've even lost some buds who had passed at a young age who never really got to be what they wanted to be in life so it just gives me more strength to do all of my goals in this set lifetime, untill that unfaithful day I'll miss 'em all !!

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve-o
To me the bible gives me strength to try to accomplish all my goals in life, to be thankful of those who truely love you, and most important of all to live each day as if it was your last since ya never know when you'll leave this world and move on to the next. I've lost so many relatives who I've never had the chance to really bond with so now all I have to rely on is my faith in that everything would be alright and that they may rest in peace. I've even lost some buds who had passed at a young age who never really got to be what they wanted to be in life so it just gives me more strength to do all of my goals in this set lifetime, untill that unfaithful day I'll miss 'em all !!

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Steve. Having faith in God brings so much comfort to so many people. My wife visited a lady in hostpital on thursday who is over 100 yrs old. (My wife is a minister) She has only a few days left to go and my wife said her face lit up when she asked her to read psalm 19 and she did.
We can debate all day on the reality of God But to those who believe, it means so much.
I was told that i have cancer last week and people can't understand why i am still acting as if nothing has happened. I have had my two scans and am just waiting to hear how bad it is. It is very difficult to explain but somehow God is giving me the strength to cope. As i suffer from depression from a stroke i had its amazing that i feel so relaxed about it all.
OK, i know some will say it can be put down to other reasons. I suppose you just have to go through it to experience it.
Anyway, nice post.
John.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jon1
I was told that i have cancer last week and people can't understand why i am still acting as if nothing has happened. I have had my two scans and am just waiting to hear how bad it is. It is very difficult to explain but somehow God is giving me the strength to cope. As i suffer from depression from a stroke i had its amazing that i feel so relaxed about it all.
OK, i know some will say it can be put down to other reasons. I suppose you just have to go through it to experience it.
Anyway, nice post.
John.

We're all pulling for you here at ATS, and its amazing how your faith has pulled you out of that deep hole of depression. I used to suffer from depression too, and its very hard to recover from it and reconnect old relationships. I'm incredibly glad that you're relaxed and have so much faith even in times of peril. You're just like one of those biblical characters whose faiths are unshaken even while their lives are changed for worse or for better. Hope you make a full recovery, many people from my church have made full recoveries from cancer, and I know that you can too.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Anyway, nice post.
John.

We're all pulling for you here at ATS, and its amazing how your faith has pulled you out of that deep hole of depression. I used to suffer from depression too, and its very hard to recover from it and reconnect old relationships. I'm incredibly glad that you're relaxed and have so much faith even in times of peril. You're just like one of those biblical characters whose faiths are unshaken even while their lives are changed for worse or for better. Hope you make a full recovery, many people from my church have made full recoveries from cancer, and I know that you can too.

Thanks for that. I do know though that God will use me now and i will bump into others that are finding it difficult to cope just like i did after my stroke and my short term memory became as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
My take on it is, if it can't be fixed, why worry about it and if it can be fixed why worry about it.
Cheers
John.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

We can debate all day on the reality of God But to those who believe, it means so much.
Anyway, nice post.
John.

Thanks for sayin' my post was nice jon1, it all came from my heart and soul, and I'd like for you to have a speedy recovery with your cancer. It's good that you don't let it get to you since if you were to think about it it'll make the cancer more dangerous (for some mysterious reasons) . My aunt had cancer as well and she made it through with a speedy recovery because of her strong faith in God and religion. People could go on and on talkin' about not existin' but the one question I'd ask them is have they died and came back again ?? They could say oh if aliens exist God doesn't exist, but if they exist who gave them their soul and what not ?? To me God is responsable for ALL forms of life from this world or from all the galaxies we have not yet discovered. I think all the people who posted in this thread should do prayers for you to get back to normal and even more energized than ever !! I never want to see another family member pass since I consider you and everyone on this site as one so you will overcome this with your faith. May God bless all you members and may you all have a great day !!

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I do know though that God will use me now and i will bump into others that are finding it difficult to cope just like i did after my stroke and my short term memory became as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
My take on it is, if it can't be fixed, why worry about it and if it can be fixed why worry about it.
Cheers
John.

God so Bless you John. I also give you the song by Ginny Owens called: "Symbol of a Lost Cause"

"Symbol of a Lost Cause"
"He could have prospered in the suburbs
Instead of working for the poor
Down at the inner-city mission
Where there's so much disappointment and very few rewards.
For every victory there's a failure
On these harsh and empty streets
But if you ask what keeps him going
He'll say, "I know where I'd be if Christ had given up on me-"

Chorus:
Beneath the symbol of a lost cause
Is where I take my stand.
Beneath the emblem of a Roman cross
of a Sacrificial Lamb.
Cause love never claims the victory
Till it finally gives it's all
And that's why the grave is empty
Beneath the symbol of a lost cause.

I've been a slave to popular opinions,
And I've memorized the Gospel of success,
I've had a taste of the politics of power
And the glamour that commands the world's respect.
But when my eyes are toward Jesus,
Nailed on a Cross to die for me,
I hear a cock crow in the distance
And it shatters my illusions and drives me to my knees-

Bridge:
Where the last and the least meet the Prince of their Peace,
Where the humble are honored and the hungry come to feast
Beneath the symbol of a lost cause.

John, you show that Jesus "is real". A true living Epistle read by all men.
You will be in my heart and in my Prayers to God in Christ.
If we don't love, we are Nothing.

[edit on 8/22/2007 by Jesus-Is-Real]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
,...but the Bible is precious to me. God/Jesus is able to preach directly to me, his record, his teaching, his wisdom is right there in the book. I find I grow closer to him with every page.

Blessings....

Blessings to you. Make sure you noted, I ended my question with 'through The Holy Spirit of God'. Without God's Spirit in someone teaching them God's Word (being Born Again), The Bible will seem senseless to an unrenewed mind. We can have compassion until then, for we were all without God in the world at one point or another.

[edit on 8/22/2007 by Jesus-Is-Real]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join