It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the Bible do for folks?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
What does the Bible do for Folks through The Holy Spirit of God?

Grace and Peace be multiplied to you.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesus-Is-Real

the bible does nothing for people except provide them with a comfortable delusion that the universe seemingly revolves around a planet that is in the backwater parts of the orion arm of the milky way galaxy and that said planet is at the center of a supreme being's attention to the point where it came down to the planet in the form of one of its inhabitants to save the entire planet from something that two fictional characters had supposdly done...

yeah, the bible doesn't really do much for people, it's just a book that has some good stuff but is mostly filled with some really bad stuff.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus-Is-Real
What does the Bible do for Folks through The Holy Spirit of God?

Your wording is a bit confusing to me but the Bible is precious to me. God/Jesus is able to preach directly to me, his record, his teaching, his wisdom is right there in the book. I find I grow closer to him with every page.

Blessings....

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Your wording is a bit confusing to me but the Bible is precious to me. God/Jesus is able to preach directly to me, his record, his teaching, his wisdom is right there in the book. I find I grow closer to him with every page.

you honestly believe that load of hogwash is the work of a supreme being?
ok, so god hates homosexuals, atheists, people that work on saturday, worshippers of other religions, and disobedient children enough that they should die....
and honestly, that's just a quick skimming of one part of the OT

and god is a misogynist according to both the OT and NT

and honestly, wisdom? sure, there is some good stuff in there... but i have yet to come accross anything that jesus said that was original when he said it.

there are far too many flaws and internal inconsistencies within that book

and KL, check the authorship, you're not getting god or jesus preaching to you, you're getting some dead old men...

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I see, thank you for your opinion.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

doesn't this qualify as a 1 line post? you contributing nothing to the discussion. and honestly, when you say something about the bible... like that it's some sort of wisdom-filled book and a present a counter opinion, you're supposed to do something such as backing up your assertion, i would then back it up with evidence to back up mine...
that's condusive to the growth of an argument, it brings us closer to the truth, and it helps the thread live on...

now come on, let us discuss

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

doesn't this qualify as a 1 line post? you contributing nothing to the discussion. and honestly, when you say something about the bible... like that it's some sort of wisdom-filled book and a present a counter opinion, you're supposed to do something such as backing up your assertion, i would then back it up with evidence to back up mine...
that's condusive to the growth of an argument, it brings us closer to the truth, and it helps the thread live on...

now come on, let us discuss

Madness.
I allways read your posts with interest and you are entitled to your oppinion but sometimes you step over the line. remember, to christians God is part of thier daily lives and a very personal thing. Your views though boarder on the side of insults to someone they love. I know you by now so am not insulted by your enthusiasm to put God down. This is probbley why some people like Kinglizard don't want to discuss God with you.
Remember, to a christian God is fact and the bible is not the be all and end all to thier faith. There is far more to God than just the bible you know. Like me, I don't understand many things in the bible but in no way could my faith be swayed by things that you quote from it.
Like i have said before on these forums, when i get to heaven i will have many questions to ask. If that were possible.
It seems to me that there are four typed of people on these forums.
1. those who believe in God.
2. Agnostics,those who are open minded and don't yet believe one way or the other.
3. Athiests, who don't believe in God and
4. Madnessinmysoul. full of venom and hatred for God and whose only purpose is God bashing in any way shape or form.
Try to be a little more respectfull to people and thier beliefs and maybe they will engage in a civil conversation with you.
Cheers
John.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by jon1]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   

the bible does nothing for people except provide them with a comfortable delusion... said planet is at the center of a supreme being's attention...to save the entire planet from something that two fictional characters had supposdly done...
yeah, the bible doesn't really do much for people, it's just a book that has some good stuff but is mostly filled with some really bad stuff.

You hate of Christianity is so blatantly obvious madnessinmysoul. Why do you harbo(u)r such hatred/animosity against anything Christian. I have noticed this in many of your posts. You would rather take a harsh or mudslinging approach to any thread that mentions something based in Christianity.

Do you really have such hatred for your fellow man? It isn't right and it isn't fair and I don't believe you are actually a bad person. You can feel free to U2U me if you would like to chat. I am not going to try and convert you but perhaps we could discuss this "offline"?

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
Do you really have such hatred for your fellow man? It isn't right and it isn't fair and I don't believe you are actually a bad person. You can feel free to U2U me if you would like to chat. I am not going to try and convert you but perhaps we could discuss this "offline"?

What makes you think he hates people? He was just pointing out obvious absurdities in a supposedly holy book written by a perfect being.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jon1
Madness.
I allways read your posts with interest and you are entitled to your oppinion but sometimes you step over the line. remember, to christians God is part of thier daily lives and a very personal thing.

so? it's still a belief, it is subject to scrutiny.

Your views though boarder on the side of insults to someone they love. I know you by now so am not insulted by your enthusiasm to put God down. This is probbley why some people like Kinglizard don't want to discuss God with you.

um, i don't have any enthusiasm to put down a being i consider fictional, i have a problem with religions in general. what i say isn't insults, it's honesty.

Remember, to a christian God is fact

a fact that they cannot back up...

and the bible is not the be all and end all to thier faith. There is far more to God than just the bible you know. Like me, I don't understand many things in the bible but in no way could my faith be swayed by things that you quote from it.

that's because you're valuing faith over reason, superstition over fact.

Like i have said before on these forums, when i get to heaven i will have many questions to ask. If that were possible.
It seems to me that there are four typed of people on these forums.
1. those who believe in God.
2. Agnostics,those who are open minded and don't yet believe one way or the other.
3. Athiests, who don't believe in God and
4. Madnessinmysoul. full of venom and hatred for God and whose only purpose is God bashing in any way shape or form.

now that's an ad hom attack, a logical fallacy.
i'm a #3, i don't believe in god.
and honestly, your bias shows. i've seen far more hatred seething from posts from the faithful than i've seen from posts of those that lack faith.

Try to be a little more respectfull to people and thier beliefs and maybe they will engage in a civil conversation with you.

i afford respect to what deserves respect. the problem is that by respect you want me to not question. i will give those beliefs respect in the same manner i give things like political idealogies respect.

Originally posted by shearder
You hate of Christianity is so blatantly obvious madnessinmysoul. Why do you harbo(u)r such hatred/animosity against anything Christian. I have noticed this in many of your posts. You would rather take a harsh or mudslinging approach to any thread that mentions something based in Christianity.

...i have no problem with christians, just so you know. my closest friends are christians... hell, a man i would consider a brother to me is becoming a youth minister.

i dont' harbor any hate towards christianity in any special manner, i don't even really harbor hate, i just can't tolerate the things that religion does to the world.
..hate leads to suffering, afterall

and really, i just have a problem with the faith based illogical stuff in the religion... i mean, jesus said some good stuff... none of it was that original, but i was good stuff.

i don't have any hatred for anyone. individuals that follow the religion are typically not the problem (the extremists do tend to be), it's the religion itself i harbor ill feelings towards

[edit on 8/17/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Well this week my Bible has come in very handy indeed: It cut the grass and trimmed the bushes; washed my car and waxed it; it cooked me a supreme candle lit dinner and to top it all off the last 50 pages turned in to $1000 notes. Wow that Bible sure has been working hard for me.

It's a book it can't do anything! You want something done, get off your butt and make it happen. Or you could just say the magic words.

JigEry MonKerY PokEry

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Madnessinmysoul.
Yes, God is a belief and if people want to ask questions then thats fine, the problem comes when people attack the faith first then ask questions later.
You don't need to try and rubbish what so many people care a great deal about. I'm not saying respect the faith I'm asking that you respect the people that have the faith.
When i say that God is a fact to christians, you come back with "a fact that they cannot back up"
So what, Why do, and should they have to back it up? God is supernatural and therefore he does not sit with normal logic as phsyical things do. We cannot back up our claims in a logical way just as you could not backup your claim that flowers are beautifull to a blind man or that music can stir your soul to a deaf person.
Just try and chill out a bit madnes on this whole God subject. If it is not for you, move on. Do something worthwhile like go and educate those radical muslims that strap bombs to themselves in the name of thier God. or are christians easier meat?

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Unless its a 1611 KJV- nothing. All the other versions are wrong or incomplete. All thanks to the RCC.

In the end there's only one true Bible.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   

i don't have any hatred for anyone. individuals that follow the religion are typically not the problem (the extremists do tend to be), it's the religion itself i harbor ill feelings towards

I can agree with you as far as the extremists go. I would never try and convert anyone or sway their chosen belief system and i honestly do a gee re: the extremists. Please accept my honest apology re the hate assumption.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
shearder, it's ok. water under the bridge.

Originally posted by Leyla
Unless its a 1611 KJV- nothing. All the other versions are wrong or incomplete. All thanks to the RCC.

In the end there's only one true Bible.

honestly, why is it the one true bible?
are you saying that jesus spoke courtly 1611 english?

Originally posted by jon1
Madnessinmysoul.
Yes, God is a belief and if people want to ask questions then thats fine, the problem comes when people attack the faith first then ask questions later.

no, i use attacking questions. questions that are meant to bring out exactly how ridiculous some of these beliefs are.

You don't need to try and rubbish what so many people care a great deal about. I'm not saying respect the faith I'm asking that you respect the people that have the faith.

i do respect the people, i just don't respect their faith. my 2 closest friends, guys that are like brothers to me, are incredibly devout, but we discuss religion all the time.

When i say that God is a fact to christians, you come back with "a fact that they cannot back up"
So what, Why do, and should they have to back it up?

because you have to back up everything else you believe about the world. if you have political idealogies you're considered a fool for believing "just because", aren't you?

God is supernatural and therefore he does not sit with normal logic as phsyical things do.

then you must not believe that said being interferes via miracles.

We cannot back up our claims in a logical way just as you could not backup your claim that flowers are beautifull to a blind man or that music can stir your soul to a deaf person.

i can have a blind man touch the soft, delicate petals of a flower
i can have the deaf man feel the constant beat on a drum set.

Just try and chill out a bit madnes on this whole God subject. If it is not for you, move on. Do something worthwhile like go and educate those radical muslims that strap bombs to themselves in the name of thier God. or are christians easier meat?

no, you christians are just the ones that i have access too.... and you have far more potential for destructive power. countries with christian majorities make up the majority of the world's nuclear arsenal.

honestly, i'd fear an army of christian extremists more than an army of muslim extremists because the muslim ones have less access to resources...
and incidentally the reason that those muslims strap bombs to themselves is the nation of israel... something heavily funded by the fundamentalist administration in the USA right now and continuesly funded via various extremist christian groups looking to bring about the end of the world...

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Madness thats the only one thats complete and the words are not twisted around. Find out how many bible versions they are.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Madness thats the only one thats complete and the words are not twisted around. Find out how many bible versions they are.

Just for the record, there is no "complete" bible. It's a well known fact that the vatican holds books that were meant for the bible, but were removed....such as books documenting the 18 years or so of Jesus' life that is missing from the "complete" bible.

But, just for the sake of argument, the only bible that isn't twisted is the original bible written in Aramaic (I think it's Aramaic...I could be wrong, but it's definately not English.
). There are a lot of words that, when translated, could mean numerous different things...so to say that any English version of the Bible is "non-twisted" isn't necessarily true because the translations in certain instances could possibly be incorrect. Which I guess is why there's so many different versions out there as it is....

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

2 Timothy 3:[14] But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

From experience it's awesome when you find something that is hidden in the Bible.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaruseleh

Pfft what else is new about the vatican I know there is 88 books but if thats complete or not I don't know.

This is why I despise the RCC. I was saying the 1611 KJV is perhaps the closest bible thats complete. Sorry that I didn't make that clear.

Problem is I don't know Aramaic.

[edit on 8/17/2007 by Leyla]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaruseleh
But, just for the sake of argument, the only bible that isn't twisted is the original bible written in Aramaic (I think it's Aramaic...I could be wrong, but it's definately not English.
).

greek, the language you are looking for is greek.... except the OT, that's hebrew.

There are a lot of words that, when translated, could mean numerous different things...so to say that any English version of the Bible is "non-twisted" isn't necessarily true because the translations in certain instances could possibly be incorrect. Which I guess is why there's so many different versions out there as it is....

indeed, and the KJV does have some twisting in translation

top topics

<<   2 >>

join