It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stocks get pummeled

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
[Looks like someone beat you to it. Only down 15 at 4:20 EST. One thing that needs to be remembered here. This doesn't mean that money has disappeared, it just means that it has flowed someplace else. For every loss, someplace else there is a gain. I can remember when the DOW was under 500 and I'm only 42. The people who get hurt are the people out to try to make a quick buck. Long term investors look at this like hitting a pot hole.

I take that back. Damn! Dropped over 275 in TEN minutes! Wow! Tune in tomorrow to see what happens in the next episode of 'As the Market Bounces".

Doesn't bother me I'm invested in bonds until after the 2008 election. Learned the hard way.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by JIMC5499]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I find it very strange that the market did such a drastic turnaround today without some kind of "panic intervention". There really was no reason for people to start buying back with that much ferocity with only 30 minutes left until closing. Today's last 30 minutes just doesn't make sense....

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Escrotumus

There really was no reason for people to start buying back with that much ferocity with only 30 minutes left until closing. Today's last 30 minutes just doesn't make sense....

there is a huge difference between individuals trading/selling
and the computer generated buying/selling which the market response programs that the huge 'Fund' managers use,

the volitality isn't about particular 'insights'
the volatility is from certain 'sell' points/'sell' indicators being met...
& the outburst of 'buying' at near the close
was from the same computer programs' percentage or volitility indicators-
which instructed the automatic 'buy' mode to be set in motion.

it's all mostly automated, even when Wall Street puts in the 'curbs' in an attempt to protect the investors (actually a window dressing exercise)

let-the-buyer-beware

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Countrywide got 11.5 billion dollars transfusion to help with their loses.

That happen at the last minute, it could have been done in purpose to help the closing.

Occurs I wonder how much this will help.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Countrywide got 11.5 billion dollars transfusion to help with their loses.

That happen at the last minute, it could have been done in purpose to help the closing.

Occurs I wonder how much this will help.

I don't call Countrywide using it's line of credit, getting a transfusion. There is a reason why they have that line of credit. It is like me paying $20.00 per month so that I don't have to worry about bouncing a check.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I don't call Countrywide using it's line of credit, getting a transfusion.

You are right, only the feds does transfusions.

There is a reason why they have that line of credit. It is like me paying $20.00 per month so that I don't have to worry about bouncing a check.

When the markets open in the morning Countrywide was announced as not having anybody to bail them out.

Right before the closing Countrywide got 40 Banks to come out with 11.5 billion to help.

Will this has been the reason the markets looked good right at the end?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by an0maly33
i actually read somewhere that the chinese specifically stated they had no intention of screwing us over. (at least not yet)

hopefully this is just a fluke, but do what you can to prepare just in case this does blow up on us.

China's Threat to the American Economy is for Real, America is in a massive Debt Crisis, that only the shredded and cooked-up books really know, just like the Enron Roller Coaster, but this time it's going to be a mighty downhill ride, without Brakes.

www.countercurrents.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I just got back from work. Thanks for all the posts.
Im really excited to see what happens in the morning and all throughout the day for that matter. And i dont have work! so ill get those news stories up for yas when (if) they are released.

And thanks for the info on that 11 billion dumped in at the last min.
How much does the fed usually sump on an average market session? It seems like they have only been dumping recently and not recieving. The last thing the dollar (value) need right now is more debt... and more printed money.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Mmk, so here we go... The latest news as of this morning...

money.cnn.com... .htm?eref=rss_topstories

Things look confusing to me. Some things are good, some things are bad, and in the long run, looks to be a temporary solution...

"What' they're clearly saying is there is a temporary financial issue that requires a temporary move," said David Kelly, economic adviser for Putnam Investments. "This will be very positive for markets. It is a sign the Fed is taking concrete action to address the problems."

Treasury prices turned lower after an initial surge, with the yield rising to 4.67 percent from the 4.65 level reached late Thursday.

The move comes as a meltdown in credit markets had caused severe declines in U.S. stocks and the Fed said in its statement had started to threaten economic growth.

After the major U.S. gauges reached a point Thursday that marked a 10 percent decline from their 2007 highs - signaling a market correction - stocks made a dramatic recovery. The Dow and Nasdaq erased most of their losses to end the session only slightly lower, while the S&P managed a narrow gain.

My personal opinion: This news article was put up to try and secure buyers and cover up the real problems... they dont want to scare anyone away at this point. I dont htink they mention the 11 billion thrown in at the last min.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join