It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stocks get pummeled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Stocks get pummeled

money.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks tanked Thursday morning, extending the recent bloodletting, as investors took lender Countrywide Financial's latest woes as evidence of bigger problems for the credit and mortgage markets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well, We've been calling this for how long on ATS?
With france freezing funds, China's threats, and then the fed's freshly printed 38 billion they poured in to try and satisfy things... lol im actually glad i got all my stock out last year.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm going to wait as long as possible... when the stocks are at their rock bottom...

then I'm going to buy buy buy!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

allready posted

ya got scooped

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
silver and gold is down a bit also....a pretty big bit really...

I think what is happening is that these funds and such, now that they are being shut out of the credit market, are being forced to sell their assetts, for alot less then they bought them on...and of course, much was bought with credit with the idea that they could pay the creditor off when the assetts were sold....
weather it be those who buy the real estate for investment purposes, or those that gave the homebuyer the mortgages thinking that they could package those mortgages and sell them to obtain the cash that they need to continue operations, and heck there's a good chance that there are businesses outside of the real estate market that are also running alot on credit, and well are in the same spot.
actually the one saying buy buy buy I think is right...personally I am watching the silver market and waiting, it gets down below $10 an once....I'ma gonna be buying!!

someone's loss is always another's gain, and this time, I am gonna be enjoying the gaining. the people who are gonna be hurt the worse in this, unless of course the gov't bails them out... are the ones that are being forced to sell now to cover the debt they've got to play their game of speculation. the one's who are flipping the assetts. they've cost the average taxpayer of the US, and the other main economic bases billions of dollars so far in just what has been done so far in the past week....obviously the bailout didn't work.....but also played a major part in the increasing price of housing around the country, and the increase in the property taxes-which by some strange coincidence seemed to help the local community governments alot when they had to replace the funding bush reallocated to other more important things.
keep in mind, these billions that have been dumped into this these past weeks were magically created by the fed...heck they probably haven't even printed the actual currency yet to cover it. so our currency values will more likely be affected rather soon...
this crises, in so many ways, is the result of too many people riding on one or another get rich schemes....ya know, many of those newly created millionaires.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
i actually read somewhere that the chinese specifically stated they had no intention of screwing us over. (at least not yet)

hopefully this is just a fluke, but do what you can to prepare just in case this does blow up on us.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Yeah, but dont forget about when Cramer flipped his lid too. I know its been posted before, but here is the link to Cramer's warning.

Cramer on CNN

It just seems like everyhting we have been saying is coming together...
We just gotta look out and start seeing the signs for what they are.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Please don't laugh.
For those of us who are less financially saavy. What does all of this mean? What are the repercussions. I know that it can hurt 401ks. Adn some investments, but does it extend beyond that?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Heres an Update from CNN:

CNN stock market Update

"It's all driven by technical factors at this point, because the fundamentals of the market are good," Ablin said. "But people aren't really looking at the fundamentals right now. They're hitting the sell button."

I really hope they arent suggesting that people should stay in the market at this point. I think if that happens, its just gonna pro long the innevitable.

I feel sorry for those people, like my family and friends, that take everything the news says at heart and get tricked for corporate gain.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Stocks are skyrocketing right now. I guess, people are buying like there's no tomorrow!

DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Please don't laugh.
For those of us who are less financially saavy. What does all of this mean? What are the repercussions. I know that it can hurt 401ks. Adn some investments, but does it extend beyond that?

I am no expert on the subject by any means, but i have seen the warnings coming like a lot of us have.

Please correct me if Im wrong, but i think this can hurt credit lines too. Can't mortgage interests rise? If the market continues to stumble... i would expect the worst possible outcome to be like the Great Stock Market Crash of the Great Depression... so that woule probably be a good thing to check out. As some say, History tends to repeat itself.

The Great Depression

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ya know the funny thing about gold? When you take into account differences in currency and inflation etc... its relative value has not changed in a couple hundred years.

THAT is what I call having legs.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by grover]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duby78
Stocks are skyrocketing right now. I guess, people are buying like there's no tomorrow!

I just checked out the link and it says its still falling... am i looking at th wrong thing?

I hope they do balance out, but look what the last 38 billion did that the feds poured in... it just prolonged more falling stocks.

I think people are gonna wait to buy back until the market is steadies. Buy low type of thing.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Ya know the funny thing about gold? When you take into account differences in currency and inflation etc... its relative value has not changed in a couple hundred years.

THAT is what I call having legs.

True... too bad our dollar value isnt steady though... and thats what really counts.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I would not go near the stock market, even after it is at rock bottom.

The birds are coming home to roost. We stand teetering on the edge of a financial crisis that will probably take decades to play out. The baby boomers are beginning to retire and we have refused to deal with social security, medicare and all that, not to mention a crumbling infrastructure, the looming end of (of at least cheap) oil, environmental degradation etc.

Thanks to those ill concieved tax cuts, which according to the GAO are the number one reason we are running a defict, even with the war, and an probable price tag for that of over a trillion and all one can say is wonder at the waste. We could have done so much with all that money instead it was pissed it away.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by grover]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy

I just checked out the link and it says its still falling... am i looking at th wrong thing?

I hope they do balance out, but look what the last 38 billion did that the feds poured in... it just prolonged more falling stocks.

I think people are gonna wait to buy back until the market is steadies. Buy low type of thing.

I was meaning - getting from about -300 to -about -15 in some 45 minutes... but I guess that's how it works sometimes, right? And this day seemed it will turn up really bad.

Anyway, to me it is quite a surprise.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy

I was meaning - getting from about -300 to -about -15 in some 45 minutes... but I guess that's how it works sometimes, right? And this day seemed it will turn up really bad.

Anyway, to me it is quite a surprise.

They had to bring it back to give some confidence to the other markets. Also there may be some bargains out there now, who knows.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
silver and gold is down a bit also....a pretty big bit really...

I think what is happening is that these funds and such, now that they are being shut out of the credit market, are being forced to sell their assetts, for alot less then they bought them on...

quite correct, the Mortgage funds just had to sell their other assets to cover all the redemptions that the firms & individuals in 'lifeboats' or
hanging on to the iceberg are scurrying to sell for the reason of cutting their losses!!!

?I love this Arbitrage, where the market (as in DOW) came back fron a 343 point loss to close in the Positive (something like 20 points UP)

because the money-managers had to sell the holdings in Gold & P.M. to supply money for the redemptions..............
Gold at last report (on CNBC) was down 21.5 dollars !!!!
Eureka, because i ordered $1,000.oo investment into my ROTH IRA
to be exercised today....I really hope that my particular Funds' Net-Asset-Value is down several dollars!!! (as i know the $$ price of gold & the mining corps will recover from this temporary , 1 day, sell-off)

happy as a sow in slop, i am !

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infoholic
I'm going to wait as long as possible... when the stocks are at their rock bottom...

then I'm going to buy buy buy!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like someone beat you to it. Only down 15 at 4:20 EST. One thing that needs to be remembered here. This doesn't mean that money has disappeared, it just means that it has flowed someplace else. For every loss, someplace else there is a gain. I can remember when the DOW was under 500 and I'm only 42. The people who get hurt are the people out to try to make a quick buck. Long term investors look at this like hitting a pot hole.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The Mother of All Headfakes?

Alot folks lost money trying to get out & cut their losses. But like you say, sombody else bought the fire sale. Hmmmmm...wonder who?

Edit: Imagine the short covering....

[edit on 16-8-2007 by OBE1]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join