It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would blade be better

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Vixion

I've no doubt that there are bad apples in our armed forces/police/other public services. But the fact is that we are legally allowed to know about these people and they face trial for breaking the law. Secret police-style organisations work in secret by definition... they aren't transparent or accountable.

As for a comparison, I think you're thinking of MI5 rather than MI6 (MI6 gathers intelligence in foreign countries, MI5 operates as a domestic counter-intelligence/security agency).

There are some notable differences between MI5 and a secret police force, though, not least the fact that they are accountable to Parliament (through the Home Secretary, Prime Minister and Parliamentary Select Committees) and therefore the people over their actions. Many of their actions supposedly require authorisation from elected government ministers (in MI5's case, Home Office ministers).

MI5 also has no power to arrest/detail people - to do this they must work in cooperation with the police.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
ste2625 im going to have to say it now, ive went along with this for too long, can you please show me where in my original post i even mentioned secret police, i started this as a new national pride, now were on about secret police.

Take Care, Vix

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vixion
can you please show me where in my original post i even mentioned secret police

You mentioned support for the concept of secret police a couple of times after your original post so it seems fair cop to bring it up.

i bet you wouldnt complain if secret police stopped some one blowing up your town or village.

Secret police are a good idea, if keep under close scrutiny by other organizations . e.g. MI6 or even just the police them selves keeping eyes on them.

Anywho, having a secret police force is impractical, dangerous and as someone else said unBritish. Simply look at two of the most evil nations in modern history the USSR and Nazi Germany both of which wielded secret police descending upon "enemies of the state" to enact so called justice.

Concerning the concept of a "militarised look" for the police I believe there is simply no need for it, updating the uniform from the current office worker style to something more practical sure I'm all for it but lets steer clear of black trench coats and the like.

[edit on 20-8-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'd just be happy with a 'not secret police' ie, visible and on the streets. The force we have at the moment may not be secret but they're bloody hard to find when you want them.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
hard to find, and have the full surport of every organization in the UK, thats what we need then.

Take Care, Vix

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join