It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any particularly delicious way to cook a turkey breast?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Being the rather simplistic (..lazy..) person that I am, I tend to just coat a turkey breast with butter, salt & pepper it and wrap it in foil before putting it in the oven. I have one roasting as I type this and can't wait for it be done...

As good as it tastes being baked in such a simple way, I was wondering if anyone has a recipe or tip they could toss my way to make my birds even more delightful

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I've got a couple of suggestions that work equally well for a turkey breast or whole turkey.

If you're cooking it in the oven and want to try something a little different, buy a flavor injector (basically a big hypodermic needle) and inject some flavor you like. Follow the directions carefully. Use as few punctures as possible and inject deep. Do this the night before, and I think you'll be pleased with the results.

My second tip is a trip to the charcoal grill. Cook a whole turkey or just the breast over indirect heat on a covered kettle grill. The turkey goes over an aluminum pan placed to catch the drips; the coals go around the pan so the turkey is cooked by indirect heat.

It takes awhile, and you'll have to periodically add additional coals, but it provides the juciest, best turkey you'll ever eat. Sliced for sandwiches---makes me hungry just thinking about it. Yes I like deep fried turkey, too, but I actually prefer the results from the charcoal method.

We used to do a Memorial Day (race day in Indy) family thing every year when I was a kid. We had one grill set up for burgers & brats & hot dogs, and another one for the turkey. The turkey was very popular.

People who only eat turkey around the holidays are missing the boat big-time. In my opinion.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Curry it!

Damm; curry everything. Dog, cat, rat - whatever! It's all good when it's curried.

MonKey.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
People who only eat turkey around the holidays are missing the boat big-time. In my opinion.

Hi yeahright. I agree with that completely of course, turkey is too scrumptious to eat only at Thanksgiving.

Thank you for taking time to share your suggestions.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
You're more than welcome. And now for another turkey related suggestion (see you got me started)-

One of the reasons I like to do a whole turkey is that the little scrappy pieces that aren't significant enough for sandwiches (and much of the dark meat) can be placed in a pan and simmered in your favorite barbecue sauce. Makes most excellent barbecue sandwiches. Top with a little creamy cole slaw.

This works especially well for the version prepared on the charcoal grill, but any leftover turkey, oven roasted or otherwise, works fine.

Just something to add to the repetoire along with turkey & noodles and turkey pot pie and...

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
One of the reasons I like to do a whole turkey is that the little scrappy pieces that aren't significant enough for sandwiches (and much of the dark meat) can be placed in a pan and simmered in your favorite barbecue sauce. Makes most excellent barbecue sandwiches. Top with a little creamy cole slaw.

That sounds really good actually, I haven't tried BBQ'd turkey but I'll have to definitely look into it now.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
YR, I've seen on cooking shows where people use the injectors. But where do you find one of these? Ive looked at our local stores and can't locate any.

Turkey is goooood. I am still working up my nerve to get one of the outdoor deep fryers. I've heard its really juicy and cooks fast. I'm afraid to blow up the neighborhood though.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by vckums

Hmm, I've seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond and Crate & Barrell and several local stores that sell kitchen gadgets. I believe I've even seen them at Target. They're about $5 and certainly under $10. Google up "flavor injector" and there'll be a few thousand on-line sources for them.

Good examples

Yeah you've got to be really careful with the turkey deep fryers. Don't fill them too full of oil is safety rule #1. They do turn out a mighty fine bird. I doubt you'd blow up the neighborhood, but you've got to establish a "no-kid zone" perimeter, for sure.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Thanks YR, you rock! I will be checking those stores out!!

Definately a no kid zone. But now ya got me craving turkey..Yum

new topics

top topics

join