It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When a U.S. Soldier in Iraq Refuses to Kill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   

When a U.S. Soldier in Iraq Refuses to Kill

www.alternet.org

Colonel Masterton, a veteran military judge, stared down at his bench. The defense wanted him to free this man of conscience. The prosecution asked that he put the coward away for two years to show other soldiers that "they are not fools for fulfilling their obligation."

Aguayo craned to face the judge. "When I hear my sergeants talking about slashing people's throats," he said, crying openly, "if I'm not a conscientious objector, what am I when I'm feeling all this pain when people talk about violence?"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
A very interesting 2 part article.
This shows the other side of the war in Iraq, and the consequences for those who face the daily horrors - or refuse to.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Why did he join the army then?

Go find another job

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DodgeG1
Why did he join the army then?

Go find another job

If you read the article you'll find that he joined as a medic - and a medics job is to save lives rather than take lives, regardless of whose side the combatant is on.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
If you read the article you'll find that he joined as a medic - and a medics job is to save lives rather than take lives, regardless of whose side the combatant is on.

I didn't see anything in this article saying he was ordered to kill anyone. If it's in there please point it out.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
If he is a medic and he is being shot at then he has a duty to defend himself and whoever he is treating ... that is why medics are issued weapons and trained to use them.

Since he is a medic I can somewhat understand his reluctance but if he was an infantryman or other combat soldier then I would say really punish him hard ... possibly even bring him before a firing squad on charges of desertion if necessary.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Well its nice talking crap behind a screen. Its another thing to be out there.

This guy has his beliefs and that is that.
Not every person is a killer no matter how you put them.

This guy has strong convictions. Let me point something out for you...

His horrified expression caught the attention of a physician's assistant who took him aside. "You have to understand, there is a bigger picture," Aguayo remembers him saying, "God has a bigger plan."

"I couldn't reason like that," Aguayo says. "I thought, 'How can God have anything to do with this?' To me it was ignorance: on our side and on the guys that put the bomb out there."

This is how I see it. If we didn't go to Iraq because of 9/11 or because God told bush to or because of the 2.3 trillion other reasons of why they said we went to Iraq. This guy and the people who are killing over there would not be there today.

Therefor we have to deal with this quagmire till something gives.. Apparently it will be the US going home with its tail between its legs..

I agree with this guy tho. I wouldn't kill someone just so I can get my cheap oil at 3 dollars a gallon......................................... In an ironic twist gas went up since this war.. How funny is that...

Anyway you people can talk all the talk you want. But I agree with this guy... He is/did the right thing.. I didn't read 2nd part of this story yet so I am basing it off the 1st part.

Anyway have a good day.

[edit on 8/16/2007 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
He was clearly in the wrong job here, that should of been spotted well before he was deployed. His beliefs are fair and he sounds like a good person but he did endanger his colleagues in danger by not loading his weapon - hell you'd never get my lugging around a paper weight when I'm been shot at knowing full well it was me who refused the ammo.

Mind you hopefully I'll never find myself in a war zone.

new topics

top topics

join