It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Braun drop's out -- Endorses Dean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Former Ambassador Carol Moseley Braun made plans to end her White House bid Thursday, leaving an all-male field for the presidency and giving her support to the democratic front-runner Howard Dean of Vermont.

Braun was to officially endorse the former
Vermont governor Thursday afternoon during an appearance at Carroll High School in Carroll, Iowa, said Dean campaign manager Joe Trippi.

Dean said Wednesday that he welcomed the endorsement of the former senator from Illinois.

"She's a principled person. We just hit it off. I like her a lot," Dean told reporters at a hotel in Fort Dodge, where he was spending the night after starting a statewide bus tour.

"It's going to be a big help to us," he said.

Trippi said Braun approached Dean after a recent debate and told him she was considering leaving the race and backing him.

One of two black candidates in the campaign, Braun is giving Dean her endorsement even as he has faced questions about his record on race issues, including his lack of minority Cabinet members during his five terms as Vermont governor.

Moseley Braun was elected to the Senate in 1992 but was defeated in a bid for a second term in 1998. She is the only African-American woman to have served in the Senate. After her Senate defeat, she served as U.S. ambassador to New Zealand.

Dean, meanwhile, on Wednesday trained his rhetorical guns on New Hampshire primary rival Wesley Clark, questioning Clark's credentials as a Democrat.

"He is a good guy, but I truly believe he is a Republican," Dean said of the retired Army general and former NATO supreme commander who declared himself a Democrat shortly before entering the presidential race last year.

OP/ED: Braun knew she didn't have a chance, this is quickly turning into a 2 horse race, Clark & Dean, I can't see Kerry giving up, or Edwards. Kerry really can't afford to, now he's $6 million in debt.

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I saw this happening when (as you pointed out) Braun defended Dean to Sharpton's race attacks during the last debate. The 'revelation' that she came up to Dean right after and said she was giving him her support smacks of something disturbing to me.

She wasn't so much "in" the last debate as much as she was there for Dean. Posturing not for President, but Dean's Vice President.

This is nothing new, or evil, or even shocking... and it follows that a Dean/Braun ticket fulfills the "sharp"est of race based attackers... as well as the highest of expectations for failing Braun.

I like Braun, and will like Dean more with her on the ticket. (Note this is just educated speculation.) But have to say, it's more dirty politics. Dollars to donuts the REAL discussion between Dean and Braun took place BEFORE that debate. Think about it.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I saw this happening when (as you pointed out) Braun defended Dean to Sharpton's race attacks during the last debate. The 'revelation' that she came up to Dean right after and said she was giving him her support smacks of something disturbing to me.

She wasn't so much "in" the last debate as much as she was there for Dean. Posturing not for President, but Dean's Vice President.

This is nothing new, or evil, or even shocking... and it follows that a Dean/Braun ticket fulfills the "sharp"est of race based attackers... as well as the highest of expectations for failing Braun.

I like Braun, and will like Dean more with her on the ticket. (Note this is just educated speculation.) But have to say, it's more dirty politics. Dollars to donuts the REAL discussion between Dean and Braun took place BEFORE that debate. Think about it.

Yeah, she hasn't really been throwing her political weight around, i always knew she was just a show horse and not really in the running. How convenient it is that Howie now has a "racial shield" anytime he gets racial comments he can say "i'm best friends with Braun and she's black... and a woman!"

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Dean reminds me of my friend Bill. He is quick witted, very temperamental and always reeks of something slimy. I can't put my finger on it, but the guy just seem's like a slimeball to me. His whole persona just rubs me the wrong way and I am not sure why.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
But you take Bush as a Genuine Americun, right?

Braun's was a vanity campaign from the outset, with no possible shot. At best, she was always campaigning for VP, but that is even a stretch.
I personally think she was campaigning for a cabinet spot all along. Hence, her constant all inclusive " any of us are better than the Bush option" posture.
Her defending Dean against the Sharpton jab falls into line with that; I think she would have done it for any of them - except Liberman.
Sharpton's angle is simple: He is only jockying to usurp the emantle of the "Black Voice" from Jesse Jackson within the Democratic party. That's why his panties were in a bunch over the Gore endorsement occuring in Harlem.

new topics

top topics

join