It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the demonstrations vs Iraq war?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I should mention that I am Canadian so I don't pretend to have a full understanding of the political climate in the States. But I just watched a PBS documentary on the 60's which reminded me of the powerful impact that ant-war demonstrations had in stopping the war in Vietnam.

Why is the war in Iraq, which also seems to be a futile effort, not resulting in similar protests across the U.S.A.? Is it because the Vietnamese were never a threat to export their anger from Asia to America, while extreme followers of Islam would love to inflict any damage they could within the borders of the only superpower currently stationed on our planet?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I cant say for sure because I was barely alive in the 60's, born in 1969.
I was actually thinking about this the other day and the things that came to mind were.
1: There was a draft back then, this motivated people to do many things to avoid going to war like running to Canada or protest.
It was also just a different era, drugs were really starting to spread and people became more defiant.
It was a cultural revolution, make love not war, fighting the "man" and so forth.
Of course these are only guesses, maybe somebody like a sociology major can better answer your question.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
They are totally different in basis.
There never was any real threat from Vietnam. The whole "dominoe effect" rationale was just a whitewash and the American people saw through it.
Iraq though, people could understand that. It was obvious that here was a potential monster to run amok in the Middle East. Albeit, a monster of our own creation.
The first Gulf War was a warning. The second, a fufillment of that warning.
The end result? Who can say.
Plus, kids now days just seem to be more apathetic. Or maybe just not as high-strung (no joke intended) as they were in the Sixties.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The draft is why there were so many protests in the 60's. The Iraq war doesn't directly effect people as much as Vietnam did.

If they bring the draft back it will be just like Vietnam again.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Maybe it's because the government/media have put the population in 'fear' of 'terrorism' so much that now people think that attacking middle eastern countries keeps the USA safe, so there's no need to protest it.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Rallies take place in cities like Philadelphia (where I live) and NYC all the time. The media chooses not to cover them in any way, which is not surprising in the least.

new topics

top topics

join