It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Practical Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What are you all's dealings and or beliefs against or on the subject of religion?
Whether it be Christianity or any other belief, what are your points of doctrine and who are they based upon?
I don't understand why there is so much criticism, hate, prejudice against both believers and non-believers.
There is such a thing as free agency.
No one can force anyone to believe anything.
It has to come from the heart, mind, and soul.
Theme:
There is practical religion everywhere. Simply put-Good works and charity in any human being are the attributes of a Godly parent. Two things essential in the Kingdom of God (In a religious sense).

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Before I step up on my soap box, I just want to make sure I understand what is being asked. Are you asking what everyone believes as in what religion they are part of? Or are you asking what their religious beliefs are specifically? I just want to make sure I'm answering the right question!

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The question-
What is the religion you believe in based upon?
And how do you know it is true?

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Nobody can "know" their religion is true, that's why it's faith. You have to believe it's true. Which is why I don't have a use for it. I have enough trouble dealing with the real world without adding all the extra "invisible and eternal" stuff on top of it.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I believe in ME. I am GOD, or if I am in a tempered mood, I might be SATAN!
It is all up to ME if I want to create or destroy!
I am no more GOD than anyone else. WE are all GODS, but we have to decide if we are destructors or creators.
GOD can have a bad day, and be a SATAN. SATAN can have a good day and be good! Is it so *****hard to understand that?
Why put so much irrelevance into religion, when all you need to believe in is yourself?
Only stupid ignorant people lean into, and hide behind the cover of religion.
STOP THAT! Believe in yourself, and you will survive!

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Christianty, At first it was based on faith for about 3 days. Then God came into my life in a very unexpected way. From then on my faith has come from a relationship with him and seeing the things that he does through me and others. Therefore my faith is not based on what others tell me or on the bible alone. it is based on fact.
Cheers.
John
P.S I am neither stupid or ignorant as the post above me implies.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by jon1]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
first off, i view religion as a corossive mind virus that needs to go the way of the dinosaurs through the effort of each individual to value reason over superstition.

i have no doctrine, my religion is none. i am an atheist, i state that there is almost certainly no god.

my lack of belief comes from myself, i have nobody to look to...
my arguments and secular philosophy are derived from various sources

Originally posted by prepared4thefuture
Theme:
There is practical religion everywhere. Simply put-Good works and charity in any human being are the attributes of a Godly parent. Two things essential in the Kingdom of God (In a religious sense).

incorrect. morality comes from outside of religion. religious morality includes things like how to treat your slave and the proper way to subjugate your wife.

secular morality has always been ahead of the religious morality curve.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by prepared4thefuture
The question-
What is the religion you believe in based upon?
And how do you know it is true?

Personally, I don't believe in any religion. Most of them have bits and pieces right, but I have yet to find a single religion that doesn't strike me as either hypocritical or condescending to those who don't follow it. There are so many religious people out there, not just Christians I'm talking about all religions here, who preach one thing while doing another that it's not even funny. For instance in Christianity (using it as an example because that's what I was raised in so I know it the best) there's that whole love your neighbor as you do yourself thing, and yet most of the Christians I know think it only counts if your neighbor is Christian too. Maybe it's just me, but that's not how it's suppose to work.

As for my personal beliefs, while they don't fit neatly into any specific religion, I feel that they will lead me to being the best human being I possibly can. I don't really believe that there is a god/goddess/spirit watching everything I do and deciding if I'm bound for heaven or hell. I don't believe that there is some all-knowing, all-seeing being out there.

What I do believe is that every person has a duty to help others, allow others to live how they want to live as long as no one gets hurt, protect those who are weak, accept the fact that not everyone believes the same things you do and it's ok for them not to, and generally just be a good person.

new topics

top topics

join