It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The SECRET: Sacred Revelation Or Worthless ???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I know the Law of Attraction and The Secret may have been discussed
in various ways here on ATS, but I would like to ask members
to succintly express their views... about the movie/book/message
entitled "The Secret", and any stories/anecdotes regarding how
the Law of Attraction did- or did not- work in your own life.

Sort of a straw poll...

"The Secret"... priceless or worthless?

Thanks

TPM/HDF

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/15/2007 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
A lot of people give the movie a hard time but I was down with it.

I totally believe the law of attraction works and since ive seen the movie ive been trying to be more positive about things.

However, someone posted something about this a month or so ago, and that was the first time I had heard of it. So ive only been trying the law of attraction thing since then.

I swear I have noticed a few changes to the positive since then though.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
If you watch the following 3 movies, you might be surprised:

The Secret (already watched)
The New Biology - How our Beliefs affects are genes by Bruce Lipton
What the bleep do we know?

After watching all 3, I am convinced that the law of attraction/perception/beliefs, as well as talking about the way electrons behave until they are observed, really ties it all together

I can't tell you what the Matrix is, you have to see it for yourself.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I just watched The Secret the other day, and I gotta say it rings true for me... especially if you focus a positive thought on an uncertainty. Cloud bursting is probably the easiest way to test the theory.

It's not too unbelievable if you consider quantum physics, the observer effect, and all that jazz.

It would certainly help explain how prayer can work. I remember reading about an experiment where cancer patients had some people pray/hope for them, while some didn't. The cancer patients were unaware, but the ones who had positive thoughts/prayers directed at them had an increase in health, though I don't think any of them were completely healed.

After watching this I realized that I've been putting much of it to practice subconsciously over the years. Now I'll be devoting even more (positive) attention to my thoughts. Set your goals high and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
perhaps I don't understand the secret, but it seems like they preach ignorance of all negativity.

I think negativity can be a good thing, in the same principle as better safe than sorry.

How does the secret account for those in third world countries who are starving to death? Do they just not want food enough? Don't you think the only thing going through a starving person's mind would be about food?

By the "law" of attraction, the same technique someone may use to project positivity about getting a raise, should be the same as someone being positive of not starving to death.

It really just seems like another new-age, feel good product, being marketed to the self-help demographic. Even worse, they have taken things such as the law of attraction way out of context.

But again, perhaps I just don't understand their take. It seems more like a justification for people to be self-centered and selfish. I'd rather be cynical and a bit negative, than positive and naive.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have a copy of 'The Secret' in both book and DVD format. I must say that it is not as easy as it sounds. It does work, however it takes time, sometimes a lot of time depending on the person.

Everything you do in life is like throwing a rock into a pool of water. Our actions are those rocks, they can be either negative or positive, it matters not to the pond. When you do this, it creates first a wave which then slowly becomes a ripple as it moves away from the point of entry. This will continue until it reaches the edge of the pond. If you have been throwing negative energy rocks into the pond, you can not expect things to suddenly change just because you now want to throw positive energy rocks into the pond. First the waves from the negative energy must work themselves out before the waves from the positive energy can become the predominate waves.

This is basically the law of Karma. First the negative energy that you have created must work itself out before the positive energy can dominate. The important thing to remember is not to give up just because you haven't gotten immediate results. We live in what I refer to as a microwave society, in that we want what we want and we want it now! The universe does not follow our measurement of time and therefore will not respond as quickly as we would like it to.

I have been working on this in my life for nearly 20 years now and I can say that I am starting to see the results of my efforts. As I said earlier, this takes time and you must not give up. It is easy to fall into a negative rut, but it takes work to get out of it and make things positive. This isn't magic, it is simple Karma. Or in more common street language here where I live, 'What goes around, comes around.' Believe it or not, but once you develop the constant positive attitude, it is not difficult to keep it.

Good luck in your efforts and have a great life!

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Let me add this:

What if all the 'ponds' of negative/positive energies were smaller ponds in a huge pond called Earth. So now, all of a sudden, your big ripple in the pond is but a small ripple in an ocean. Now think about what 'most' of the world is thinking these days.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by HighDefinitionFilms
"The Secret"... priceless or worthless?

How about, neither? Referring specifically to "The Secret", it's the same ol' same ol' just repackaged and presented in a slightly different way.

Check out The Master Key System, or Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich, or Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends....

Or you could look into psycho-cybernetics. Or that Tony Robbins dude (is he still around?)

It's all basically the same message. And those are the tip of the iceberg. And IMHO, the reason it's so pervasive is that yes indeed, there's something to it and it does indeed work. If you work it.

[Edit to add]
Ooh! Ooh! Paul Richard's post below referencing the "Attitude of Gratitude" reminded me of one of my personal favorites, Wayne Dyer's The Power of Intention. I know Wayne can be a bit cheezy (PBS fund drives & such), but this is actually a very good book. If nothing else, check your local library. But it's worth the $ to buy it.

[edit on 9/12/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I have watched The Secret on DVD many times. You simply can't absorb everything that is taught in one or two sessions.

First off, it is necessary to at least briefly explain The Law of Attraction-Vibration. It essentially means this:

Energy attracts like energy.

If you project a feeling of having something and that feeling is joyous and grateful, and you believe you can have it and you believe you deserve it, you will attract that thing to you like a magnet.

That is the entire Law in a nutshell.

I agree that it takes a while after one begins applying the principles before one's personal reality starts to unfold in a more positive direction. In The Secret Universal Mind Meditation by Kelly Howell, she mentions that it takes a minimum of six weeks before one can start to see beneficial changes in one's life. I find that point intriguing.

If one's circumstances are dire, then just using The Law of Attraction-Vibration is usually insufficient to change one's situation. On the other hand, doing it correctly entails much more than just applying positive thinking and New Age ideas. What this really means is that the positive changes occur gradually and are therefore usually not highly efficient in the short term.

One of the key points made in The Secret is that wishful thinking and visualization is not enough for it to work. One has to actually project the positive feelings of already having what one wants. That feeling is what provides the power for positive change to occur in one's life. I loved how Dr. Michael Beckwith put it. He is one of the more inspirational speakers in The Secret on DVD. Of course, Jack Canfield (co-author of Chicken Soup for the Soul - which I have yet to read) and Bob Proctor also did a great job. Actually, they all did.

The one thing that I have found to possibly be even more important than applying The Law of Attraction-Vibration - especially for those of us who have a clear vision of what we want and have been projecting that in meditation for years - is what they refer to in The Secret as an Attitude of Gratitude. A number of the speakers say that this is essential if one wants more abundance in one's life, in any and every direction. I have found this to be the most important aspect of the entire Secret teaching

For those of us experienced or advanced mystics who use Heart Chakra Radiance daily in order to directly target our growth towards eventually becoming Co-Creators after our return to The Light (and be able to manifest with The Light an improvement to the basic human condition), I have discovered an innovation to practicing an Attitude of Gratitude. Instead of just listing and feeling grateful for that which we already have, which we can remind ourselves by carrying around a Gratitude Rock: when one Radiates Gratitude via the Heart Chakra - as in HCR - one can significantly increase the intensity of the feeling generated. To in essence become a Gratitude Machine. When this happens, abundance comes into one's life - as well as higher awareness about all sorts of things - FASTER than through the conventional application of an Attitude of Gratitude

In a related and recent magazine article about The Secret by Jack Canfield, he identifies what he terms rabbit goals or small goals, and elephant goals or large goals. The latter, like winning a lottery or becoming independently wealthy in some other way, takes more time and energy in daily focus than the former, like attracting a cup of coffee or arranging a car space in advance.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Or like me you can make up your own ritual for attracting what ever you want.

First strip down to your underwear..actually nudity is preferred but....
make a smudge stick out of local weeds.......dried in a south facing window
Light the south end of the majic stick.......
Prance around the smoking smudge stick repeating this mantra over and over..........

Please dear higher power
I would like [your wish here]
and I promise not to cause anymore trouble!!

I know it sounds simple but it works as long as you keep your promise and don't cause anymore trouble. That's the hard part of the ritual!!

Let me know how my method works out for you.

Looks like Whaaa's Secret is out for the general populace so it's a Secret no more. Good Luck!!

[edit on 12-9-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 12-9-2007 by whaaa]

top topics

join