It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch Bishop Tells Christians to Call God 'Allah'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Dutch Bishop Tells Christians to Call God 'Allah'

www.foxnews.com

A proposal by a Roman Catholic bishop in the Netherlands that people of all faiths refer to God as "Allah" is not sitting well with the Catholic community.

Tiny Muskens, an outgoing bishop who is retiring in a few weeks from the southern diocese of Breda, said God doesn't care what he is called.

"Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? ... What does God care what we call him? It is our problem," Muskens told Dutch television.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.radionetherlands.nl
www.forbes.com

[edit on 8/15/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I think this is a ridiculous suggestion. While it's true that Arabic-speaking Christians use Allah to refer to the Judeo-Christian God, that is because that's what 'God' is their language. Suggesting that non-Arabic speakers take up the Arabic name to appease Muslims is insane.

Apparently this bishop has been known for making statements not in line with his RCC teachings before, but this is totally crazy.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/15/2007 by djohnsto77]

JbT

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hell, if it were up to me, all these religions would cease to exist.

Personally, I could care less what you guys want to call your imaginary friend.

That is what it is, an Imaginary Friend.... this imaginary friend just happens to be the sole cause for most if not all the wars the last 6000+ years.

Allah, God, The Boggy Man..... what is the difference? Either name results in one word.... WAR.

Maybe thats what we should call this imaginary friend.... WAR.

Even this topic, the result of it is going to be an online argument in the name of an imaginary figuer. Have fun with that.

I guess you can tell that I see relgious people like children in a play ground talking to them selfs about their imaginary tea party friends. You are all so imature and seemingly "stupid" to us "nonbelivers" of "God".

[edit on 15-8-2007 by JbT]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Would you rather "Yahweh"?

or how about YHWH?

or ELOHIM?

or how about "big scary cloud being"?

Religion is sooooooo passé...

edit: the only reason this made the news is not because anybody will take this guy seriously, it's because it is yet more ammunition in the quest to divide people on religious grounds. i.e. muslim v. christian sensibilities akin to left v right ect...

[edit on 8/15/2007 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
well the word god is not actually what the people called him back in the day. i cant think off the top of my head what it was , but now a days god is considred christian, and allah is muslim. according to my research, christians and muslims worship the same god, but with one big difference, muhammad and jesus. and also some other diffrences. but if god is your choise fine, if allah is your choice, you better be shure you pray to ask the heavenly father if its ok. He will give you a sign what is the right word. if he says nothing, then it must not really matter, as long as you hold true to your faith and your truths.

CX

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JbT
Hell, if it were up to me, all these religions would cease to exist.

Personally, I could care less what you guys want to call your imaginary friend.

That is what it is, an Imaginary Friend.... this imaginary friend just happens to be the sole cause for most if not all the wars the last 6000+ years.

Allah, God, The Boggy Man..... what is the difference? Either name results in one word.... WAR.

Maybe thats what we should call this imaginary friend.... WAR.

[edit on 15-8-2007 by JbT]

If i could give you a "Way Above Top Secret", i would use my whole quota up!
(What happened to that anyway?)

I was having this conversation only this morning with a church-going elderly neighbour.

No matter what you call the idol you worship, whatever name you call it ......ah whats the point.......this is going to go back to the believers saying there is proof and the non-believers saying there is not. Pointless.

At the end of the day it comes down to a matter of opinion, whether that be "Is there a God or not?", or " What is it's name?".

Pointless.

CX.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Hell a rose is a rose no matter what the name.

Though it is very sad that you can't have a post about religion without atheists coming on and bashing it and saying they wish it doesn't exist. If you want to believe that there is no god i don't really care but you should not force your views on anyone. Why does it bother so many people that others have hope of a better place even if you think he is a made believe friend in the sky?

Last time i checked there has never been a war directly caused by religion but religion is a thing that is used to unite people for a cause. If religion didn't exist then it would be fear of outsiders, more land, racism as the cause of war. The crusades were fought because the pope wanted to get rich. This is why i have a beef with the Roman Catholic Church. He promised people that they could go to heaven no matter what if they fought to make him rich.

I am also against converting others to your religion. you can't convert someone if they don't want to and by using fear you are just hurting your religion.

[edit on 15-8-2007 by spinstopshere]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinstopshere

Last time i checked there has never been a war directly caused by religion but religion is a thing that is used to unite people for a cause. If religion didn't exist then it would be fear of outsiders, more land, racism as the cause of war.

Ummm...

oh nevermind...

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Originally posted by spinstopshere

Last time i checked there has never been a war directly caused by religion but religion is a thing that is used to unite people for a cause. If religion didn't exist then it would be fear of outsiders, more land, racism as the cause of war.

Ummm...

oh nevermind...

If you think all of these so called "religious wars" were fought to spread religion and not to make a profit for their leaders than umm.. nevermind.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
spinstopshere

If you don't see the oxymoron in the quoted portion of your post or the circular logic of your thought process, well ... I can't help you. :shk:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

spinstopshere

If you don't see the oxymoron in the quoted portion of your post or the circular logic of your thought process, well ... I can't help you. :shk:

If you are not going to point out anything and just bash me without giving me any proof then i can't help you either.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is an outrage, but coming from a Catholic I shouldn't be surprised.
Anyone who claims that Christians and Muslims worship the same god knows nothing about the history of Islam or where the name 'Allah' came from.

There is the one true God, and he does care what we call him. Allah is the name of a false god, the god of the moon. Allah is a name derived from Satan to confuse an entire region of people and it has been done so.
Allah is a god of war, my God is a god of love.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Call him Jehovah, God, Allah does it really matter what the name is? As many have said i do not think he cares all that much. Oh and Gools i am still waiting for your rebuttal.

Show me the error of my ways.

[edit on 15-8-2007 by spinstopshere]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megadeth
Allah is the name of a false god, the god of the moon. Allah is a name derived from Satan to confuse an entire region of people and it has been done so.
Allah is a god of war, my God is a god of love.

You forget to mention that this is what christianity tells you about every other religion besides christianity. They are all made by Satan to confuse the non-christians, convient dont you think?

link   

Would you rather "Yahweh"?

or how about YHWH?

or ELOHIM?

or how about "big scary cloud being"?

Religion is sooooooo passé...

edit: the only reason this made the news is not because anybody will take this guy seriously, it's because it is yet more ammunition in the quest to divide people on religious grounds. i.e. muslim v. christian sensibilities akin to left v right ect...

[edit on 8/15/2007 by Gools]

Well the reason was also to get more credits with the muslims, not a real bad idea..but i am an atheist..
I also thought of Yahweh, but that seems to be more jewish..

Even more controversial is Geert Wilders, this right winger[who has just won 9 seats in our Parlement, first time he took part of elections!] came with the serious proposal to forbid the Koran in the Netherlands

www.latimes.com...

I couldnt really find a good english source, but it is pretty big news over here..

[edit on 15-8-2007 by Foppezao]

link   
Is it really worth debate?

So as not to post a one liner: Does a vengeful god by any other name not smell as sweet as a vengeful god

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
But to be honest, christians see God as the father of Jezus. For muslisms Jezus is just another prophet. And to to name the differences between Jezus and Mohammed..then 4000 characters wouldnt be enough

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I am an Arabic Christian, I call God Allaha but that is our language.
However this statement should not be followed, if it is followed then we might
as well unite all of religion.
I will keep calling God Allaha, or God. This statement will not effect me one
bit I do not know about the rest of you. Now if the pope started telling us to
call God Allah then Christians will have a problem.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
first i would like to clear it with Megadeth about allah and moon god as it looks like some hasnt got a clue about islam

two videos just to make it easy for him to understand

also the Term ALLAH means
the lord the creator, the one above,there is no god but he

we dont refer to god as god but allah as its unique,
as god can be turned around into Dog, mans best firend and so on.

just to clear up what allah means.

may have some spell errors but its almost 3am

edit: may i ask why no other main stream sources
actuily show any intrest in this?

[edit on 15-8-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
edit: may i ask why no other main stream sources
actuily show any intrest in this?

There are like 3 pages of sources on Google News.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join