It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. soldiers in iraq are comitting suicide at unusually high rates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
i wonder if guilt mauy be part of the cause.
i also wonder what would be considered the "usual" suicide rates.

link

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dunkleskates
link

Guilt may well be part of it. Many military personnel are honourable people who joined up to defend their country. What is happening in Iraq is a travesty designed to be a stepping stone towards the NWO. It is a war designed to increase the profits of the corporations. I believe that many members of the 'occupation force' see this war as unjust, and that some of them are so appalled at what they are ordered to do, that they take their own lives.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
i can't really say i blame them. if given the decision between killing innocent people, or anything of the likes, or suicide, i would probably put a bullet in my head.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I doubt guilt has anything to do with it.

Hunting all day for scumbags, the pressure of watching your back at all times, being away from your family in a dusty weird land, Friends of Saddam and terror-loving jihadists hopelessly killing your friends randomly - that probably has more to do with it.

I'm sure you if you took any group under similar circumstances you would see a higher rate of suicides (and depression for that matter).

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by superpower
I'm sure you if you took any group under similar circumstances you would see a higher rate of suicides (and depression for that matter).

but shouldn't troops in the us military-people who we know will be experiencing these circumstances-be trained or equipped to fight the urge of suicide?

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Yeah they should be trained to cope, they are -- but when you have scumbags coming out out of the woodwork trying to kill you, as you are trying to help them rebuild their nation -- it's difficult to train for that!

Without training it would probably be worse.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Every six months at my base we have suicide awareness and prevention classes. My base has one of the highest suicide rates in all of the air force so we get training all the time but it still happens. They say the reason why suicides happen in the military the most is because of stress which is why there are so many suicides at my base ya know with the nuclear missiles there and all.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Their wifes are sending letters.

"I don't love you anymore and found someone else bye"

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Well if I had to go to that hell hole known as the middle east i'd probably kill myself too.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Suicide always happens in the Armed Forces.

Even more during war cause it is more stressing.

Look at the history of every war.

There is always a dumdass(excuse my language) that will shot himself.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
of course suicides will always happen. the point is that the rates are increasing because of something that these soldiers are experiencing in iraq.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   

of course suicides will always happen. the point is that the rates are increasing because of something that these soldiers are experiencing in iraq.

I am telling you its the war.

During every war suicide geos up.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Suicide has become such a pressing issue that the Army sent an assessment team to Iraq late last year to see if anything more could be done to prevent troops from killing themselves. The Army also began offering more counseling to returning troops after several soldiers at Fort Bragg, N.C., killed their wives and themselves after returning home from the war.

and this has nothing to do with it?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

i also wonder what would be considered the "usual" suicide rates.

link
Well, after seeing the uncensored pictures of the vitctims of Iraq war, it is no wonder why the soldiers kill themselves, who can't handle what they see. I also think that the majority of these young soldiers are being sent off to war for the first time, and they are being exposed to frail, bloody, mutilated bodies, women, men and children. It just goes to show that humans will not tolerate the sight of death of their own species.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

but shouldn't troops in the us military-people who we know will be experiencing these circumstances-be trained or equipped to fight the urge of suicide?

Not all the soldiers now in Iraq are livers. They are national guard/reservists who arent hard-core constantly training soldiers. These are more citizen-soldiers, not warriors. Those who commit or attempted to commit suicide in Iraq (soldiers) should of never joined up. Most Guardsmen, and lesser extent of the reservists, do not belive they will have to fight. (This segment is my opinion)

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
As for the assumption and assertion on the relative high-suicide rates in Iraq, would someone kindly show me on legit article that stipulates, as fact, that "GUILT" is one of the reasons for the suicide rates.
Btw, has anyone checked the numbers for suicide rates period within any military during war time or in war?
What did the studies on the suicide rates in war conclude and/or give for reasoning for the suicide rates?
What about suicide rates world wide?
I mean, China for example has a reported suicides of about 288,000 in 2002, 2003, roughly.

"Officials say the unsettled situation in Iraq, combined with long terms of duty away from home and spartan barrack conditions, can make symptoms of depression worse. Accessibility of weapons in a war zone can also quickly turn a passing thought into action. "It just takes a second to put it to your head and pull the trigger," said Lieutenant-Colonel Elspeth Ritchie, a psychiatrist at the army's Uniformed Services University."
Source:
"Suicide - the GI's embedded enemy"
Link:
www.smh.com.au...

The article comments further, that in the case of Vietnam:

"There are no official figures for GI suicides in Vietnam.

But when the US pulled out in 1975 it had lost 60,000 troops and, according to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, 180,000 Vietnam veterans have since taken their own lives."

And the British after the Falklands War/Conflict:

"In Britain more than 260 Falklands veterans have committed suicide - more than those killed in the war."

I'd imagine that these are from the assumed and asserted "guilt" also?

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
/Suicide has become such a pressing issue that the Army sent an assessment team to Iraq late last year to see if anything more could be done to prevent troops from killing themselves. The Army also began offering more counseling to returning troops after several soldiers at Fort Bragg, N.C., killed their wives and themselves after returning home from the war./

It's most likely the wives are commit adultery when the husband is doging bullets. Most could eb wanting a divorce when they came back, she found someone else.

The divorce rate of today is so high, mostly filed by woman.

Now you can see why men are killing their wifves most likely because of being unfaithful. There have been many woman that have done this, it shows that woman are in moral decay.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by superpower
Yeah they should be trained to cope, they are -- but when you have scumbags coming out out of the woodwork trying to kill you, as you are trying to help them rebuild their nation -- it's difficult to train for that!

Especially when the scumbag coming out of the woodwork is your president with a turkey on a platter.

new topics

top topics

join