It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia 'shows CIA page edits'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Wikipedia 'shows CIA page edits'

news.bbc.co.uk

An online tool that claims to reveal the identity of organisations that edit Wikipedia pages has revealed that the CIA was involved in editing entries.

Wikipedia Scanner allegedly shows that workers on the agency's computers made edits to the page of Iran's president.

It also purportedly shows that the Vatican has edited entries about Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Wikipedia IP scanner launches

Mod Edit: Removed copy paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 15-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
just goes to show
how unreliable wiqi can be and how easy it is to put properganda and lies to push ones agenda,

kind of reminds me of wiqi and the apple Pie

wounder how many pages they edited

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-8-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I just saw this article myself, it's a bit annoying to find out that people stoop as low as to deface someone's page... especially when it's someone of power like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad AND it's coming from the CIA network.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If it really was the CIA, I wonder if it was authorised or just a prank from some CIA employee. Writing "Waaaaaah" is hardly major character assasination.

[edit on 15-8-2007 by DragonsDomain]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm not surprised.
Control the information, control the internet. "Edit wars" have been taking place in all kinds of topics.

I find the people who are really into Wikipedia do try to watch out for false edits. When a new edit is made and there is nothing to support the claim, Wikipedians are quick to revert the edit.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I am not too surprised here. If people start finding out the truth about certain subjects then they will start to question the government about their involvement. That is where the CIA comes in and cleans up the mess before
it can happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Reading the article, the CIA edits to the Ahmadinejad page seem not very significant, and in fact pretty childish:

On the profile of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the tool indicates that a worker on the CIA network reportedly added the exclamation "Wahhhhhh!" before a section on the leader's plans for his presidency.

Good to know our tax money is being so well spent

More interesting are the edits Diebold made to their Wikipedia entry:

Wikipedia Scanner also points the finger at commercial organisations that have modified entries about the pages.

One in particular is Diebold, the company that supplied electronic voting machines for the controversial US election in 2000.

In October 2005, a person using a Diebold computer removed paragraphs about Walden O'Dell, chief executive of the company, which revealed that he had been "a top fund-raiser" for George Bush.

A month later, other paragraphs and links to stories about the alleged rigging of the 2000 election were also removed.

Hmmmm.....

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The report mentions that the Vatican had also edited a Wikipedia page that showed Sinn Fein leader of the Irish republican party, Gerry Adams in a bad light. This page had a link to newspaper report that stated the reporters had learned about finger and hand prints found at the scene of a double murder in 1971 belonging to Gerry Adams. Someone originating from the Vatican had removed the links!

Was this the work of a single Catholic idealist acting on their own impulse or was it the agenda all along of the Vatican to support the rise of Sinn Fein?

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
just goes to show how unreliable wiqi can be and how easy it is to put properganda and lies to push ones agenda...

The exact opposite really.

Wikipedia just pulled the curtain back on the CIA and the Vatican.

Do you have any idea how many companies have the balls to do that?

Or have the people at Encyclopedia Britannica been sending you notices of which entries of theirs have been tampered with?

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius

The exact opposite really.

Wikipedia just pulled the curtain back on the CIA and the Vatican.

Do you have any idea how many companies have the balls to do that?

Or have the people at Encyclopedia Britannica been sending you notices of which entries of theirs have been tampered with?

i was more refering to the contents thats on the site

and sadly with my student wage i wouldnt be able to afford one page of Encyclopedia Britannica, even so supprising my brother in law has the whole collection

should have made that more clear,

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
No doubt this very same tool is the one that claimed ATS was hosted by the CIA. It's all garbage put out by Wiki to fool people into thinking that is the case.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Err, if someone at Wikipedia was trying to make the CIA look bad, I think they could come up with something a little more sinister than adding "Wahhhhhh!" to Ahmendinejad's entry

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Err, if someone at Wikipedia was trying to make the CIA look bad, I think they could come up with something a little more sinister than adding "Wahhhhhh!" to Ahmendinejad's entry

The CIA is far move evil than you think, Wahhhhhh! is just the beginning.

Anyways seriously, this is not the kind of work that the CIA would spend their time doing.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If the CIA really had important editing to do, I dont think they would do it from a location or by a person that can be traced back to them.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Anyways seriously, this is not the kind of work that the CIA would spend their time doing.

I'd tend to doubt this was anything done in any official capacity, probably some bored staffer playing a prank. Still, I'd hope the CIA advises it's staff there are better ways to spend their time (and my money).

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Wahhhhhh!

Obviously someone at the CIA who types with a English-Newcastle accent!

www.wikipedia.org

[edit on 15-8-2007 by freeradical]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by freeradical
The report mentions that the Vatican had also edited a Wikipedia page that showed Sinn Fein leader of the Irish republican party, Gerry Adams in a bad light. This page had a link to newspaper report that stated the reporters had learned about finger and hand prints found at the scene of a double murder in 1971 belonging to Gerry Adams. Someone originating from the Vatican had removed the links!

Is it only me that thinks the Vatican edit is more interesting than the (rather standard vandal) edit made by the CIA?

It throws up some pretty interesting questions. Why edit an IRA member's entry and take out negative parts? What else has the Vatican done for the IRA over the years? Is the Vatican so anti-Protestant that it has links with the IRA (who are mainly Catholic)? The IRA killed numerous people in Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom, so by definition does that mean that the Vatican supports terrorism/murder?

The tip of the iceberg, perhaps. Very, very interesting if this tool is accurate.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Found this article while Digging...

A database of 34.4 million edits, performed by 2.6 million organizations or individuals ranging from the CIA to Microsoft to Congressional offices, now linked to the edits they or someone at their organization's net address has made.

It looks like it's more than just the CIA that have taken part in Wiki edits...

here's the link

www.wired.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me how this exatly works...

where did he get the list of ip's belonging to who in the first place?
did he just do a DNS look up and filter named results, looking for key terms.

like "government" "department" ...

[edit on 15-8-2007 by thedangler]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
They could make a great online encyclopedia out of all the edits. Call it "Wipepedia." Once they're taken off Wiki, they're posted on Wipe, with the IP address and organization's name. Of course this one can't be edited. Bet it would crash a heck of a lot, though...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join