It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a new card o.O

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hey all
I am going to get a new graphic card and need some suggestions
However i cant afford to go over 400 Euros
I was thinking along the lines of a nivida 8600gts
Whatever card i get i want to have dx10 support
Since i am not great at computer hardware ill need to know if it will work with my mother board: ASrock 939Dual-SATA2
Also will i need to update my power supply? : AC 230V (dont really know what that means)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlayeR87
I was thinking along the lines of a nivida 8600gts

That´s a decent card for the money. I´d go for it.

ASrock 939Dual-SATA2

Your motherboard accepts both AGP and PCI Express cards. So you can indeed run a single 8600. (No SLi though!)

Also will i need to update my power supply? : AC 230V

That really doesnt tell me much. It just tells me that you are in Europe/Scandinavia. Look on the inside of your box. It should have a little sticker on the power supply that tells you what watt it has. (I´d recommend a decent 400watt power supply.) I´d also recommend you turning off the computer before opening it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

No problem.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I'd wait a few more month's , Nvidia next series will be out soon. Microsoft Vista is releasing DirectX-10.1 with windows service pack1 which will modify DX-10 a bit. Never buy the first generation DirectX card, I'd wait for the 2nd generation if I were you.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I'd wait a few more month's , Nvidia next series will be out soon. Microsoft Vista is releasing DirectX-10.1 with windows service pack1 which will modify DX-10 a bit. Never buy the first generation DirectX card, I'd wait for the 2nd generation if I were you.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
There really isn´t a big difference between 10.0 DX and 10.1 DX And also, when those cards come out, they´ll probably cost a lot more then what he´s willing to pay. (But then again, the DX 10.0 cards would probably be a tad cheaper!)

I own two 8800¨s, and I have no planon upgrading any time soon. When DX10.2 comes out, then I might consider it, depending on what it will bring to the table.

Frontkjemper

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Bah. DirectX 10 requires Vista. Just make sure your card has high level OpenGL support as I have a feeling it's gonna get a whole lot more popular if DX10 doesn't come to XP.

Not sure how 2.1 will compare with 10.1, but if 2.1 is XP and 10.1 is still Vista ONLY, then game developers are gonna have to make a tough choice. The upside for them is that it will become much easier to port to the Macintosh. The downside is it will probably become harder to port to the 360 due to architecture differences and Microsofts monopolistic might.

top topics

join