It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

New British military tech

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I've seen a few Threads with a whole range of new British Military technology coming to the scene so I just thought I'd try and bring it all together and make a nice list of the key projects (I can think of):

FIST - Future Infantry.

MBT LAW Anti-tank launcher.

Future Lynx.

Astute class.

Type 45.

QE Class carrier with Eurofighter's & F-35's.

UCAV Taranis (Taranis concept image) & UCAV Corax

Panther CLV

The new technology coming in is going to secure Britain's future on the global scene for many years to come. It doesn't matter how many soldiers an enemy has if they can't get them to their target in one piece.

Serious hardware = no one messes with you.




posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I saw a programme on local TV about our purchase of Apache Tomahawks and remember them saying something about having to tear out a lot of the technology and replace it with ours

Anyone hear about that?



posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
I saw a programme on local TV about our purchase of Apache Tomahawks and remember them saying something about having to tear out a lot of the technology and replace it with ours


Well, for a start, the pilots' controls would have to be replaced with right-hand drive controls as the Americans fly on the wrong side of the sky, and of course a proper radio that can be tuned to BBC Radio4.




posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I do know the British version has a better Rolls-Royce engine that produces 25% more power than the GE version used in America. At the moment the benefits are only exploited during take off although a new transmission system is under development to enable the helicopter to take full advantage of this upgrade. The Americans are so impressed with our in house upgrade that they are considering installing them in their AH-64s.

Another few modification were that we downgraded the laser for test weapon firing as it was deemed to powerful for use in the UK. We also added Helicopter Integrated Defensive Aids Systems (HIDAS) and the ability to connect to the BOWMAN secure communications system. Ours also have the ability to fire CRV7 rockets and our advanced Brimstone missile.

Basically we took the American design and made it even better for use by the British Forces.

[edit on 15-8-2007 by Thirst]



posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Interesting that the RN Lynx gets an AESA radar. delivery starts in 3 years time - with FASGW(Heavy) being (most likely) the Sea Skua mk2 (with active radar and data link) high subsonic/super sonic ASM and apparantly the navy will also get FASGW(light) for multiple launch against small targets.



posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The British version also comes armed with RM Commandos strapped to the sides!




posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Impressive, to strap yourself onto the outside of that thing. In hostile territory too....

Balls of steel, that's what I say.



posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The FIST concept infantryman is not exactly new. It used to be known as 'Soldier 2000' back in the late eighties.

We were told there were several innovation coming on line and, to be fair, the clothing started to arrive and was somewhat originally named
'Soldier 90'. The clothing - most of it made in Europe (but now China) - was lightweight with robust and (supposedly) made of ripstop material.

Gone were the old US style combat smocks and shirts, being replaced with lightweight clothing that one wore in layers.

I suppose the L85A2 qualifies as a next generation assault rifle, but as Paddy Inf has said in another thread, the SA80 family of weapons has just about been developed to it's limit and I cannot see the British forces being issued with another rifle in the near future.

The new Saab-Bofors LAW is a great improvement on the terribly cumbersome LAW 90 and, being 'fire and forget' weapon, takes the task of close range tank hunting a whole lot earier.

Where I differ from everybody else, is in the debate about the 2 new carriers. I believe a few weeks ago, there was an announcement that the carriers would definately be built by BAe and Thales, but the actual date for the hulls being laid down, has still not been decided and indeed, has been delayed, (Does anybody know any differant?)

As to the aircraft operating from these carriers, I cannot see for the life of me see why we cannot simply have arrester hooks on the Typhoon and deploy them with sturdier landing gear.

I know some of the guys as Dowty who work on the gear and they say it is so easy to upgrade the wheel assys for carrier ops. Sooo much cheaper as well!

As for comms, everybody I know absolutely loaths and detests the crappy little PRR and looks forward to BOWMAN - ish.



posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
...I believe a few weeks ago, there was an announcement that the carriers would definately be built by BAe and Thales [...]
As to the aircraft operating from these carriers, I cannot see for the life of me see why we cannot simply have arrester hooks on the Typhoon and deploy them with sturdier landing gear.


Perhaps the two arms of BAe (marine and aviation) could come together and design an entirely new concept of carrier utilising the latest in UAV technology such as the Corax and create a UAV-Carrier?

Would make sense to take naval warfare technology to it's next logical step

[edit on 19-8-2007 by citizen smith]



posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That would do the trick Mr Smith and surely it would be better for the UK if this [and any successive] government bit the bullet and gave all contracts for defence spending to companies based solely in the UK.

It won't happen, especially with the fiasco over the next generation of Trident boats. Why Halliburton Inc at Devonport and in the US will have the contract for refurbishment is, quite frankly, beyond me.

In Bedford, we used to have a really excellent truck builder but, yet again, the then government gave it away to GM and now we have to purchase MAN via Austria.

I have to say that this Labour Government has betrayed the very people who put them in power and is slowly allowing foreign investors to strip this country of it's manufacturing powerbase!

Simply scandalous, old man!



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
The FIST concept infantryman is not exactly new. It used to be known as 'Soldier 2000' back in the late eighties.

We were told there were several innovation coming on line and, to be fair, the clothing started to arrive and was somewhat originally named
'Soldier 90'. The clothing - most of it made in Europe (but now China) - was lightweight with robust and (supposedly) made of ripstop material.

Gone were the old US style combat smocks and shirts, being replaced with lightweight clothing that one wore in layers.

I suppose the L85A2 qualifies as a next generation assault rifle, but as Paddy Inf has said in another thread, the SA80 family of weapons has just about been developed to it's limit and I cannot see the British forces being issued with another rifle in the near future.

The new Saab-Bofors LAW is a great improvement on the terribly cumbersome LAW 90 and, being 'fire and forget' weapon, takes the task of close range tank hunting a whole lot earier.

Where I differ from everybody else, is in the debate about the 2 new carriers. I believe a few weeks ago, there was an announcement that the carriers would definately be built by BAe and Thales, but the actual date for the hulls being laid down, has still not been decided and indeed, has been delayed, (Does anybody know any differant?)

As to the aircraft operating from these carriers, I cannot see for the life of me see why we cannot simply have arrester hooks on the Typhoon and deploy them with sturdier landing gear.

I know some of the guys as Dowty who work on the gear and they say it is so easy to upgrade the wheel assys for carrier ops. Sooo much cheaper as well!

As for comms, everybody I know absolutely loaths and detests the crappy little PRR and looks forward to BOWMAN - ish.

I thought the new clothing and equipment was soldier 95 not soldier 90??



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Yup Mojoberg, that is absolutely correct. It is!
Well spotted.

But old friend, it took so long to be issued to the forces that it had to be renamed Combat '95.



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The SA80 rifle might also be getting the 7.62 round, due to the fact terrorists leave their wounded comrades to die.
The idea behind the 5.56 was so the terrorist who was hit(and not die) would require the help of an extra 2 people to be removed from the battlefield thus taking 3 people out of the fight.



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
the carriers are a waste off money and space you dont need any unless you are gonna go off and invade countries like america does uk dont need carriers well super carriers atleast.



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
^^

you have little understanding of the modern world - please read more of the forum to understand the threats we face.


SKunk2

terrorists and 5.56? erm - it was designed for entropy based warfare in the 80`s - and being lighter could carry more rounds - and not terrorists



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
^^

you have little understanding of the modern world - please read more of the forum to understand the threats we face.


SKunk2

terrorists and 5.56? erm - it was designed for entropy based warfare in the 80`s - and being lighter could carry more rounds - and not terrorists


little understanding no and i am right we dont need carries you only get this stuff if you want war terrorism huh not asif there is a terrorist country to strike oh wait unless your on about iran



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   


little understanding no and i am right we dont need carries you only get this stuff if you want


So say for instance in the near future, Argentina decides to attack the falklands again, and say we dont have carriers to help take them back, we just roll over and give them those islands. Please get a grip. The UK needs to replace the current carriers they have, which are outdated. IO would say more carriers are needed not just 2.



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone



little understanding no and i am right we dont need carries you only get this stuff if you want


So say for instance in the near future, Argentina decides to attack the falklands again, and say we dont have carriers to help take them back, we just roll over and give them those islands. Please get a grip. The UK needs to replace the current carriers they have, which are outdated. IO would say more carriers are needed not just 2.


yeah but they aren't puny carriers, each one is like 5 times the size of the ones why regained the falklands islands back 80's, all talk of britain but argentina haven't progressed all that much in the last 25 years, britain have soon to be type45's those new carriers/f-35's typhoons and is a nuclear power.

[edit on 22-8-2007 by st3ve_o]



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   


yeah but they aren't puny carriers, each one is like 5 times the size of the ones why regained the falklands islands back 80's, all talk of britain but argentina haven't progressed all that much in the last 25 years, britain have soon to be type45's those new carriers/f-35's typhoons and is a nuclear power.


No UK Gov would, threaten the use off nukes, unless thepublic were behind them 100%. I still say we need more than two. I just want britain to rule the waves again (pardon the pun)


If you look at it We get two Carriers one will always be near the UK, one ther will be out inoperatinal duties. Why just the one why not have four carriers that way we can prject power when, a conflict arises that affect our national interests...



posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This carrier business is so really getting on my nerves.

Firstly, they should have been laid down by now and should have been being fitted out right about now, with delivery for the 1st carrier fully operational by 2012.

It's not and they aren't! The hulls have not been laid down yet and that ex chancellor chappie wants to put the build on hold for another year or so.

Enough of that.

You have tweaked my curiosity Skunk2. Where did you get your info from about the SA80 being upgunned to 7.62mm, given the fact that H & K were just paid £95.6M to correct the faults on the L85A1?



new topics

top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join