It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian team discovers gene that turns cancers off

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
yes now lets get it done !! should keep my eye this one. is it going to be used
in patience ?? maybe another story.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Very good video about TELOMERASE and stopping aging and cancer:

video.google.de...

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenocat

The problem is, If you activate the Telomers across the entire genome, you will increase your risk of cancer. Your PS aside there is completely wrong, by the way. The Telomere molecules are not immune to mutation.

Wrong. They have been proven to be non oncogenic with a near 10/-2 power X 200000000 chance of error.

I'd like to see your proof that the telomerase transcriptease is capable of mutation.

Calling someone wrong without providing any shred of proof is just foolish.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
DisabledVet, you call someone foolish for making a statement without proof while making a statement without proof, but if you forgot to post the link then I understand, I've made the same mistake myself. Yeah so basically what I'm asking is, link please?

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Yeah so basically what I'm asking is, link please?

"Aging

The enzyme telomerase has been proposed as the key to cellular immortality, as a veritable "fountain of youth"."

Askith and ye shall receive...

Actually several links...

The wiki: en.wikipedia.org...

Science watch showing Hayflick's law broken: www.sciencewatch.com...

Geron who holds the patent: www.geron.com...

And specifically regarding the non oncogenic nature of hTERT.
www.sciencemag.org...

[edit on 15-8-2007 by DisabledVet]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Im surprised more folks aren't talking on this topic, but I makes sense as this is more of a technology minded group rather than a BioTechnology group.

The next greatest thing after the recent work with the telomerase enzyme which is going to be a huge key to infinite biological longevity in Humans (Assuming you dont get run over or killed by an outside force) Is going to be a myostatin inhibitor which is in clinical trials right now (Stage 2 i believe)

Anyway, taking a myostatin inhibitor will make you look like you are a professional athlete...and some of you a professional bodybuilder without hitting the gym but a relatively small amount of time if that....

We will have the ability to extend our live drastically within our lifetimes.

Aubrey DeGrey a Cambridge (UK) Biogerontologist and one of the most respected in his field says the first person to live to a 1000 years old has already been born.

We have made human cells immortal and they are still dividing to this day strong and perfect as ever...and you dont have to be born with the genetic changes in place to benefit....it can be done with virus vectors to reprogram your cells at any age.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I too feel this is a great accomplisment, but it seems every few weeks we read somewhere in the news that they have found something to slow down or stop cancerous genes from mutiplying. Then when you want to follow up, its no where to be found. I am one that also agrees that there is no money in this for the pharmacutical companies and if and when this drug would ever be used, it would not be used in the US. It seems like it all falls back into that old theory of, why would the gov't tell us if they found a cure for cancer or aids, there is no profit or revunue in a cure. they would lose billions. Its a very very sad situation.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Before anyone gets to excited, have you been to the source of the article?

...malignancies, including carcinomas of the breast, ovary and prostate, as well as in leukemias and lymphomas, and it has been hypothesized that this region harbors one or more tumor-suppressor genes.

Hypothesis. We don't know.

I don't have a subscription from Nature Medicine magazine/online, but would sure love to hear from someone who does and can give us an assessment.

I want a cure for cancer as much as anybody (it's why I got my degree in Biology) but we may be throwing the parade a bit early here. I say we should still put our hopes and prayers into it, give these guys whatever support they need and if all goes well perhaps we'll never have to know what suffering from cancer feels like.

[edit on 20-8-2007 by saint4God]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Heck (an thats not wot I wanted tos ay.) Read your David Cronenberg fer Chrest's sake. We found out fer sure in the 60s 70s that , wait, there is a severly active mind body connection. horrible news is that its real.. Good news is... its rea.l. Damn it, if youse got a certain belief system, youse is getting cancer, no word of lie , like it or lump it. Active physiological affects (yah, they actually say, like, affects, ha ha ah) include hormoninological, immuninological, ever#inotherlogical reason not resist growth and let yourself run free with humour and wit, Heezeus.
Cancer is the scare word for our culture, why do u suppose that is? Nuff SAid.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

I know what you mean - this is a big deal, but there aren't a ton of posts.

Me? Well, I've been following this thread... lurking and reading. I have a piqued interest in this topic, but I realize that my expertise certainly doesn't lie in this field! I figure I'll let the pro's do the talking and interject my questions here and there as I come up with them.

Hey, I did put this thread on my signature watch list though... every little bit helps!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join