It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian team discovers gene that turns cancers off

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Canadian team discovers gene that turns cancers off

www.theglobeandmail.com

A unique gene that can stop cancerous cells from multiplying into tumours has been discovered by a team of scientists at the B.C. Cancer Agency in Vancouver.

The team, led by Dr. Poul Sorensen, says the gene has the power to suppress the growth of human tumours in multiple cancers, including breast, lung and liver.

The gene, HACE 1, helps cells fight off stress that, left unchecked, opens the door to formation of multiple tumours.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I thought this would be a respite from all the bad news.

This is excellent news, and I found it a bit strange that noone has posted this yesterday.

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This is amazing news. I guess the question I have is how will gene therapy proceed and how long before it is in general usage>? The idea that the gene somehow "combats" stress is interesting, I wonder how the gene actually achieves that. stress is after all a somewhat ambiguous term.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Huzzah! This is terrific news... I understand accelerated developments have been occurring in the field of Gene research. It isn't unlikely that a gene will soon be discovered which reverses or slows the aging process; I believe something similar was discovered in lab rats (or mice).

In any case, I'm going to buy a pack of cigarettes to celebrate the good news!

Just kidding.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
How many times have we heard that cancer was cured? How many false hope was given to people? Lets sit and wait but unless big pharma company can make a lot of money out of it I don't think it will go anywhere.
just my 2c

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
thats excellent. But how will it be brought to the general public, and is it the one cure that we have been looking for? Not really knowledgable about cancer type of things, so is this the holy grail, and how will it be used by doctors?

Great Thread

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I would like to post this link: Myostati n Gene Manipulation Research

It deals with the "Myostatin" gene that apparently is responsible for muscle tissue growth.

The thread is fully cited, with all of the studies and research presented at the bottom.

It doesn't surprise me that we can find a "tumor gene".

Turning it "on/off" is the key.

Currently, we seem to have limited success at using virus's to re-encode our own DNA.

Until we can fully alter another's DNA via "gene therapy" all of this knowledge is great--but not applicable. The FDA has no approved method of "gene therapy" sanctioned.

I get excited when I see these finds, but digress when I learn that altering our own genome is very difficult.

We ought to be experimenting on ways to alter our own self-replicating DNA before we start the LONG search for positive "on" or "off" genes.

It's like inventing new lightbulbs without a switch.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Sick patients make for big money.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by discomfit
Sick patients make for big money.

And sick patients also make for happy cows...

Happy cows make happy cheese.

Don't you know the old advertising rhetoric?

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I just dont see this happening how are they giong to go around turning peoples genes on and off. It seems like it would take to much energy and time to be cost effective and I bet thier is unforeseen consequences that will take years of trials to weed out. Thier are many people who have been cured of cancer from Gigong and Diet and exercise. Chech out some of these testimonials

www.springforestqigong.com...

Its fast easy and cheap and it works fast. I have heard Mayo clinic is intergrating it. I will try to find a link to that.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by piacenza
How many times have we heard that cancer was cured? How many false hope was given to people? Lets sit and wait but unless big pharma company can make a lot of money out of it I don't think it will go anywhere.
just my 2c

I happen to agree. Just like all the beneficial natural cancer treatments (cures in many cases) that exist in the Central American countries, such as Bryomixol, this one will be restricted from entering the United States. In the U.S. you can do several things with diseases: Cut them out, burn them off, radiation, or poison them. All treatments. The drug companies own patents on genes -- isn't that absurd? Therefore they only want treatments, not cures. There is no money to be made from a cure. They don't care about the well-being of people. They just want their trillions in annual revenue. It's very sad but it's true. If they do find a cure (which I pray they do), you won't be getting yourself cured in the United States, that's for damn sure.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
here is a link to clinical trials for gigong's effect on cancer PDF file rather large. www.qigonginstitute.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
This is the best news ive heard all day
(if ive read it right)

Take Care, Vix

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Cool

But where's the money in curing a disease ? No sane doctor or businessman is going to touch this, because they have families to feed

I've seen doctors that stick to the patients like leeches and suck as much as they can before they let go of him. Richer the patient, less interest in curing him. Though not all are like this.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Theres too much money to be made in expensive treatments. The drug companies will pay them off, buy their work and it will never he heard off again, the same goes for AIDS.

Drug companies dont want people cured, they want them to keep on taking their pills as much as possible.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Zeolite Patent

Read this patent...another one that the FDA will not approve since it was not given to the big pharma to use and make money off of.

Zeolite activates the P21 gene to cause cancer and abnormal cells to self destruct. To sum it up, if our bodies were free from other toxins our bodies would do this on its own, but unfortunately our environment is so horrible we are all on toxic overload. Read the patent above for more i nfo

[edit on 15-8-2007 by ChristyZ] link not working

[edit on 15-8-2007 by ChristyZ]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The WHOLE KEY IS TELOMERASE...look it up.

Cancer cells divide about 10 times faster then human cells...so if they divide 10 times faster why wouldn't we all be able to outlive cancer? Something must make it immortal right?

The key is the telomers..which are the ends of the chromosomes...in cancer secrete an enzyme called telomerase...which as each cancer cell divides..(IE cancer spreading) the telomers get smaller... this also happens to our human cells...as our cells divide the telomers get smaller...or shorter...and that is why we age...and look shriveled up as we age.

BUT! cancer has this telomerase enzyme that the cancer telomers secrete that rebuild each cell perfectly each time!!

It is as if some terrible mistake happened a milenia ago and cancer was crowned immortal and not humans.

Wait...I said humans...thats right.

Do you research, and you will find that scientists HAVE SUCCESSFULLY ACTIVATED THE HUMAN TELOMERASE and those human cells become IMMORTAL.

YES, IMMORTALITY IS IN OUR GRASP.

FACT: YOU LIFE EXPECTANCY IN TH NEXT 75 YEARS WILL INCREASE TO A NEAR INDEFINITE TIME LINE.

(PS, the human activated telomerase cells that divide indefinatly, are non oncogenic which means the copies are perfect, and it is impossible for them to become cancerous)

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet

(PS, the human activated telomerase cells that divide indefinatly, are non oncogenic which means the copies are perfect, and it is impossible for them to become cancerous)

The problem is, If you activate the Telomers across the entire genome, you will increase your risk of cancer. Your PS aside there is completely wrong, by the way. The Telomere molecules are not immune to mutation.

There is a trade off; Longer life, higher risk of cancer. Shorter Life, no risk of cancer. If all cells divide indefinatly.. there will be aproblem. Cells need to die. If you want true immortality, you want cells that do not die, and don't divide.

Good Wiki Article

To cure cancer, they suggest to turn those genes off, so they divide and die off over time like normal cells.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain
Cool

But where's the money in curing a disease ? No sane doctor or businessman is going to touch this, because they have families to feed

I've seen doctors that stick to the patients like leeches and suck as much as they can before they let go of him. Richer the patient, less interest in curing him. Though not all are like this.

Sure they will, just charge a ton o money for it.

Also, keep in mind that this gene does have a purpose. It's used to help cells recover from stress. The issue here is not turning this gene off, as much as determining how to lower stress at the cellular level.

Sure if you have full blwon cancer, you will want to turn this gene off, but what are the repercussions in those who don't have it yet?

At the end of the day, most all cancer is caused by stress of some sort. It's because of this that we should eat stuff that is easy for the body to process and learn how to not take things so seriously.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by piacenza
just my 2c

I don't think the post stated that it cured cancer. Just that it found out what was causing tumors to grow. Also, I've never seen anyone say they had a cure for cancer from the scientific field, only from quacks in mexico.

keep in mind the cause was stresses at the cellular level going unchecked.

Our Society causes Cancer. You're not going to cure it without changing lifestyle habits. Although, you might be able to stop it's growth in people long enough to get their system back in check.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join