It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This is what happens when you get bored...
I was thinking of an idea in which countries submit aircraft they have and compete in different events. Some events I think would be good are the 200 mile "dash" (from takeoff) , absolute ceiling, time-to-climb 50,000 ft., low level speed at 500 ft., and a race between two major cities (>3000 miles). Any other events you can think of? Assuming countries could restore and fly aircraft now in museums, what do you think some winners would be?
Absolute ceiling: Mig-25
Time-to-Climb 50,000 ft.: F-22
Low Level speed 500 ft.: TSR.2
200 mile dash: Mig-25
3,000+ mile race: SR-71

I think other contenders would be the TU-144, SU-27, Sukhoi T-4, Concorde, YF-23, and XB-70.
Any others?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Oh dear.......

What about the matter of performance enhancing fuels????

A can of worms, here!

The Winged Wombat

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
How about the Convair Sea Dart for Water Skiing?

or any of the stick and string pioneers from the early 1900's for the hop skip and jump?

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
That would be awesome to watch but would enemies want to show each other the performance of their aircraft? Probably not

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Actually racer, might be a good chance for defense contractors to showcase their products and make some big bucks selling.

It's not about "enemies" it's about business.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
But why would country1 show country2 their planes and the planes capabilities? Unless it would be of older aircraft but then that wouldnt be as cool

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Why wouldn't they? They're not showing anything top-secret. People know the existence of the planes so why not show off your strength?

Also it would be more of a selling point for defense contractors than anything else. Kind of like Airshows only it's a competition between the products and a better selling point so buyers know what they're getting compared to other aircraft.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
shatteredskies and racer, I understand your points of views. I think both of you are right. racer, you are right because many of the high performing aircraft are ones that wouldn't be exported (SR-71 for example). But, shatteredskies is right because some of the aircraft that perform well, but not on par with the non-exportable planes, would be good to show off so buyers can see them (F-15, Eurofighter, Mig-35 for example). Most of all though, I'd just like to watch a competition like this because it would be so cool

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Yea f-18s, f-16s and all the other aircraft that are world wide but planes that are exclusively with one country I dont think would be allowed to be showcased to possible enemies.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Planes that would not be showcased: Secret Access Programs.

Planes that would be showcased: Everything else.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Although the f-22, sr-71, mig-25 and other aircraft are not secret but the countries who have them dont want some specs out like the speed of f-22 is still unknown and the sr-71 speed is still questioned so if these planes are performing the opponent can calculate speed, or whatever is in question

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The opponent will most certainly not be able to calculate an aircrafts full capabilities from a competition, only that it is either better or worse than their own.

Looking at the reports made from the tests on the airframe and looking at the results of a competition do not conclude the same things.

Shattered OUT...

new topics

top topics

join