It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Lakes advocates: Hole draining 9.5 billion litres of water a day

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Fifteen years ago the water levels were so high that entire homes and
the properties they were built on were tumbling over cliffs into Lake
Michigan due to massive erosion on the Michigan side. Now the
pendulum has swung the other way.

I find it interesting that Chicago is now installing water meters on
homes in the city to begin billing based on useage. The water bills of
Chicagoans has always been a flat rate, non-fluctuating from month
to month because water was never in short supply. When I heard that
story on the news today, I thought it was just another way that the
city was trying to milk money from its citizens. But after reading this
thread, it appears that Chicago may be also attempting to curtail
water useage due to the lowering water levels. I wonder how far
Lake Michigan would have to drop before the Chicago River stops
flowing OUT of Lake Michigan as the Army Corp of Engineers forced
it to do a few decades ago?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Yes I too remember levels a lot higher in my youth, gabbions were built into shore lines to protect them from erosion. Now the gabbions sit quite a few feet away from the water.

U.S. NATIONAL OCEANIC
AND ATMOSPHERIC
ADMINISTRATION (NOAA)

NOAA projects Lake Superior may hit record low levels this fall

Link

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Anyone see the article about Lake Peigneur on the History Channel? True story, fascinating video. A salt mine extended under the lake. An oil exploration crew drilling into the lake bottom punched a hole through the roof of the mine, and the lake drained into the salt mine. A huge whirlpool was created, sucking down barges, homes, trees, etc.

earthdude1.tripod.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
**UPDATE**

Lake Superior continues it's low level trend. The month of August has recorded the lowest ever for the lake.

Living here we feel the effects of the low levels, more bacteria, less swimming, and fish dying.

Can we truely stop this, I don't think so.

Not sure if many realise that there are water flow gates on the St. Mary's river which regulate the water level between Lake Huron and Lake Superior. These gate are called compensating gates. A compensating damn also helps to control flow.

As a child we enjoyed seeing the water gush through, when we travelled across the International bridge. Only one gate is open now, any more and they'd completely drain upper lakes of water.

Lake Superior

More Info

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
These are all freshwater sources. I have mentioned Red Elk before, and he talks of water shortages that will be blamed on global warming, which according to him is wrong. He says that this is a man-made condition as a means of control.

Are there signs that the oceans and seas are shrinking? I don't know.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Interesting. I don't know if this is due to normal cycles or intervention by man.

What I do know is less lake = more marketable real estate.

Does Chicago need to expand?

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Here comes in the idea of the Hollow Earth

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by silencee
Here comes in the idea of the Hollow Earth

Strange conclusion you derive from this information. Of course the earth has hollow or underground river, lakes and even oceans. The lakes are low but can we attribute it to man-made diversion, man-cause global warming or is it a natural cycle. Evidence may show that all factors may contribute which makes it worse because who or what will stop it?

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
CNN.com is reporting about the lack of water in the Great Lakes today. Taken right form Sault Ste. Marie MI. I live across the border in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. We have been waving a red flag for the last 10 years on our shrinking water level. Seems it has to be drastic before anyone wants to listen. This will end up to be a environmental disaster before long that we will never recover from.

CNN.com video

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Hmm, this doesnt sound good. I wonder what is causing it... maybe they are bringing lots of water underground so some of the population can survive planet x or world war 3...

Yes, thats just a paranoid theory, I know.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Hogwash I don't believe it. I would take the word of NOAA any day over that of some non scientific crowd

Water Level Plots
Superior--Daily levels compared with last year's level
Michigan, Huron, St. Clair, and Erie-- Daily levels compared with last year's level
Ontario-- Daily levels compared with last year's level
Superior--Daily levels compared with monthly Min, Max, and Mean levels
Michigan-Huron--Daily levels compared with monthly Min, Max, and Mean levels
St. Clair--Daily levels compared with monthly Min, Max, and Mean levels
Erie--Daily levels compared with monthly Max, Min, and Mean levels
Ontario--Daily levels compared with monthly Max, Min and Mean levels

www.glerl.noaa.gov...

Now if there is that gapping hole why don't their charts show a drastic decline in levels?

[edit on 9/30/2007 by shots]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It sounds like many factors are in play here, including the failure to build a wier to slow down the erosion from previous dredgings.

Dredging causing lower lake levels?

The other factor maybe the warmer winters, less ice on the lakes, means more evaporation!

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
ok easy, first design a probe and send it down, use haarp as well to read the ground formation, then create a giant sink drain plug and use a surface ship, with submarines to fit in in place. easy.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mastermind77

Sounds great in theory but there is just one problem. They have to find this mythical hole first

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

No video? That would have been a site to see.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
reply to post by Rhain

Now if there is that gapping hole why don't their charts show a drastic decline in levels?

I am not sure where they are getting their levels from but I have posted shore line picture in this thread that shows drastic changes. I can drive right now to beaches that I swam in 5 years ago, where today I stand ankle deep. I live a 3 minutes walk from the St. Marys river and it is slowly tuning into a swamp not a river. So you read your charts and dismiss my photos and videos. We are in trouble, there is no argument here.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Here is your video.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I dont understand how dredging could cause that to happen. To me, this seems like a case of the disappearing lake in Chile.

Original Article

On another note, maybe someone in Hollywood had some forethought when they made the movie i-robot. If you have seen the movie, you will remeber that all of the old robots were stored on Lake Michgan, because it had dried up!

Maybe the Earth is just shifting around and random cracks are appearing out of nowhere? I fear this could get worse.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain

I am not sure where they are getting their levels from but I have posted shore line picture in this thread that shows drastic changes.

It does not matter where they are doing the tests what matters is they have been doing it since 1860 making their data more accurate unlike yours that is only a few years old theirs is over 140.

I can drive right now to beaches that I swam in 5 years ago, where today I stand ankle deep.

Well I can do a similar drive to rivers that enter lake Michigan and see the same result in certain areas but they say it is due to erosion not leaks

I live a 3 minutes walk from the St. Marys river and it is slowly tuning into a swamp not a river. So you read your charts and dismiss my photos and videos.

Well I can drive 10 minutes and see the same around here but again there are reasonable explanations other then an alleged undocumented hole somewhere.

Chicago Treatment Facilities alone pumped an average of 1,048 million gallons per day. Racine pumps 30 million a day, Kenosha 21.7 million gallons per day, Milwaukee pumps an average 137 million gallons daily, and those are just four cities which does not include smaller towns imagine how much water every city on all of the great lakes pump per day they would make your hole look more like a pin hole once you convert liters to gallons.

[edit on 9/30/2007 by shots]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Thanks for the video, That was amazeing to see. I bet that old man in the boat had poo poo in his britches lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join