It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Lakes advocates: Hole draining 9.5 billion litres of water a day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Great Lakes advocates: Hole draining 9.5 billion litres of water a day

cnews.canoe.ca

Mary Muter of the Georgian Bay Association says navigation dredging, riverbed mining and shoreline alteration on the St. Clair River near Port Huron, Mich., and Sarnia, Ont., have led to declining water levels in lakes Michigan and Huron
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I live on the St. Marys River, hub of The Great Lakes. The levels of Lake Superior is critical. We drove our vihicle 1/2 mile inward on Goulais Bay to reach water. If the lakes are draining what will become of these areas. Many habitates rely on these lakes for exsistance. Canada and The United States governments need to act expiditiously to stop this.

cnews.canoe.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I have seen no proof of this hole which supposedly is leeching 9.5 BILLION litres of water a day. That is a huge amount: 2,375,000,000 gallons a day of water or 866,875,000,000 a year. It just seems like a huge number not to be noticed.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is issue is nothing new it has been ongoing, but this is the first I have heard about a "hole" being the cause. Regardless of what it is, someone needs to find out where this water is going and why and then figure out how to stop it.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The great lakes is suffering a drought, that maybe the problem!

If there is a hole than where the heck is the water going to? Phoenix! Las Vegas! Katmandu!

Where is the scientific proof! All Water is controlled through Niagria Falls it either goes over the falls or through the canals. It doesn't go any faster into the Atlantic because of upsteam dredging!

Quite posting tree hunger news from people that continue to smoke pot!

apc

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Even if they do drain... so what?

They're only... 14,000 years old? If that? Whooptie doo.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Where is that water going?

I think its being drained by the Reptillians living inside the Earth. They have their needs too, you know.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Where is that water going?

I think its being drained by the Reptillians living inside the Earth. They have their needs too, you know.

How about Earth Changes?? Things change around the world with the passage of time. Only now things are accelerating very quickly and we have access to all this information that is driving us crazy and it doesnt stop for one day and us conspiracy theorists are going MAD!

We've in the wrong Galaxy, the universe is shrinking, the Milky Way is eating up the Sagittarius whatever we live in and Bush is president and "they're" out to get us and ,well, a lake draining isnt such a big deal after all.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Here's a link to an article I first posted in a thread about Lake Superior water levels. It's not really a hole.

It's like a drain hole at the bottom of a bathtub

Great Lakes Draining

Edit: Whoops, the OP's link says basically the same thing. Some confirmation I guess.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by Musky]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've lived within 10 miles of the southern end of Lake Michigan all my life. I've swam in it HUNDREDS of times, I've sat on it's shores drunk and sober so many times it's uncountable.

I haven't noticed the beach getting bigger.

You'd think it would of by now. And the tributaries like the Des Plaines and Chicago Rivers would be effected.

I haven't noticed anything there either.

Odd that. Not that I don't believe it's happening. I can just say, from my eye-witness point of view that I can't support the findings at the shore.

Now, mercury levels from the BP Plant draining into Lake Michigan? There's something to look into.
Frightning.

Cuhail

[edit on 8/14/2007 by Cuhail]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The Great Lakes have lowered a little mainly due to the lack of really good snowfall in the Great Lakes Basin and realatively dry years in the Upper Midwest and Canada. Without a Good snow, there is not a good melt, there is not raging rivers feeding into the whole region. Get some good wet years in a row together and people will be complaining about the lack of beachfront.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
The Great Lakes have lowered a little mainly due to the lack of really good snowfall in the Great Lakes Basin and realatively dry years in the Upper Midwest and Canada. Without a Good snow, there is not a good melt, there is not raging rivers feeding into the whole region. Get some good wet years in a row together and people will be complaining about the lack of beachfront.

Now THAT I can agree with. I'll tell ya, we've worried more about flooding than low water levels in the past twenty years. Oh, we've had dry years for sure. But this summer is a good example of a good year. Next year, it'll be dry, and then it'll be wet....but that's Chicago.

The draining problem? Maybe take a few decimal points off that number and maybe I'll tag along.

My $0.02
Cuhail

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Maybe if Nestle would stop draining the rivers, the levels wouldn't be so bad. They have negatively affected entire west michigan areas, and my beach is huge this year. Local rivers and bays are down between 3-6 feet. This IS a problem, it would be easily soved by shutting down all water bottling plants that ship the water to outside(not touching the lakes) states. If you live an area with no water...oh well, move.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mel1962
Quite posting tree hunger news from people that continue to smoke pot!

...then what?...learn to spell?...talk?...what?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I posted the the USGS historical record of water level changes in the Great Lakes in last months thread about this.

The report shows a semi-regular cycle of dry periods with standard water level changes of 1 foot, but up to 4 feet. IIRC last month the water level was down almost, but not quite, 1 foot.

Lake-Level Variability and Water Availability in the Great Lakes (10mg pdf)

U.S. Department of the Interior
U.S. Geological Survey: 2007

The purpose of this report is to present recorded and reconstructed (pre-historical) changes in water levels in the Great Lakes

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
LMAO

I think they need a big plug. Let's be clear, they are calling for action so that's what is required...a big plug. They need to find the "drain" and stick a big plug in it. Maybe they can pour and form this plug right on a big ship out there and then they can just let the massive water drain suck it down into place and save the world.

Idiocy seems to be spreading more rapidly than Superior is falling.

MBF

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
That amount of water loss amounts to such a little amount, maybe around a tenth of an inch per day, that it could easily be accounted for by evaporation. On a hot summer day where I live, we can easily lose half an inch per day to evaporation.

I agree with the others that say the drought is the cause for the loss of water. It ain't that much when you look at the size of the area it is lost over.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
LMAO

I think they need a big plug. Let's be clear, they are calling for action so that's what is required...a big plug. They need to find the "drain" and stick a big plug in it. Maybe they can pour and form this plug right on a big ship out there and then they can just let the massive water drain suck it down into place and save the world.

One can probably be purchased at Home Depot- I'll look into it, and do my share to save the world.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I don't see the humour in this thread, did I miss something? In the last 10 years there has been a steady decline in the water levels. This picture of the St. Mary's river is just one example. If you are not experiencing a lower water level where you are then that is great, but same can't be said here. Here is a picture of Echo Lake, I use to pull some nice trout out of it. These water levels have been declining for the past 10-15 years, it will take a lot of snow run off to bring them back. Lower water levels is more then longer walks on the beach to reach the water its the level of bacteria as well. The temperature of the water rises and fish die.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This problem is definitely getting some press. It was on the front page of today's Milwaukee JournalSentinel. If these studies are correct, the water loss is more than just the result of a couple of dry summers or light snow fall winters.

This article has more water level stats and explains what they are based on.

2 Great Lakes losing water quickly

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join