It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming....here we go again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Who knows what the heck is going on but this is interesting. Headlines from a 1922 article about global warming.

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well they noticed environmental change as we do now. Brtain has had its top ten of summer months in the last 15 years. Then there was that bloke who swam to the North Pole. 2007, not 1934. They are receding. No questions, but if you want to allude to 1934, then look no further than El-nino and the destruction of the Atlantic Gulf stream, jet steams on top, and the entire dislocation of the planet. Just coz they had a couple of hot 'uns LOCALLY does not impact on the destruction globally.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by redled
... Then there was that bloke who swam to the North Pole. 2007, not 1934. They are receding.

Well considering Top Gear used a pick-up trucks and drove there during this summer of 2007 I doubt the situation is as bad as we are being led to believe. I would also like to mention the fact that the bloke did a swim in a pool, according to them, at the north pole. No-one said they swam to the North Pole. There is a difference. A pool of open water during the summer at the Arctic is nothing new.

YouTube - VideoLink

[edit on 14/8/07 by Gonjo]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Rubbish. The funny thing you seem to think is that if we stop all emissions tomorrow, it will all be cool. Its not that bad, is it? It is, even if we stopped tomorrow, it would get worse for thirty to forty years, ie get hotter, before improvement. The rate is accelerating, and we do not have time to play with vis a vis the acetates under the sea. You do not get swims at the North Pole, unless things have changed. Its not that bad? It is dreadful.

[removed quote of entire previous post]
Mod Edit: Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Rubbish. The funny thing you seem to think is that if we stop all emissions tomorrow, it will all be cool. Its not that bad, is it? It is, even if we stopped tomorrow, it would get worse for thirty to forty years, ie get hotter, before improvement.

I dont believe I have said or implied anywhere, anytime this completely false idea you seem to hold on me on this matter. So either you enjoy to making claims about others and spread lies or you actually claim you can read my mind and tell me and everyone else what I supposedly think. Maybe a spot of reality check is in order?

The rate is accelerating, and we do not have time to play with vis a vis the acetates under the sea. You do not get swims at the North Pole, unless things have changed. Its not that bad? It is dreadful.

I have no doubt the climate will continue to change even if we stop everything today, tomorrow or the next year. What you and the followers of the this movement that is convinced and keep spewing out is that human is the disease and doomsday is near. Not only are you claiming climate change is man made and something never happened before you seem to think it only goes one way. If you actually believe the climate, our planet and the universe as a whole is a haven of serenity and nothing ever changes I suggest you try and research abit more. Not only is the whole universe in a constant state of change its also anything but a safe haven of little ponies and carebears.

I can understand where you are coming from with your fearmongering but I really cant aprove of it. We live in a chaotic and constantly changing world and hating the humankind for their ability to adjust to it through technology is quite ridiculous. Maybe you would enjoy if we got rid of 90% of the people so the planet can "heal"? What ever your real agenda is it has nothing to do with pool of water or someone swimming in it.

I would also like to point out I have nothing against cleaner sources for our energy. Im all for ending the use of coal and oil as soon as we have enough of other sources for the energy we need. Im also all for reducing the energy consumption where ever we can. My reasons behind it however are not of tales and fear of death and destruction. Its obvious we are and will eventially run out of oil, coal and even uranium. Im guestimating 50 years from now its either not there anymore or just too expensive for it to be a viable source of energy. Oil will most likely run out alot earlier though so our transportation system will need to go through some major overhaul. But this fear and hate mongering is hardly the way to go, but then again I always forget that reason + internet does not mix well.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Quote Gonjo:

Not only are you claiming climate change is man made and something never happened before you seem to think it only goes one way.

End quote. Not good at this stuff.

Right, you suggest I need a reality check for suggesting you seem to look at things in a certain way. I suggest that you give that advice and be a hypocrite on how I 'seem' on different paragraphs. I think you're reactionary, but if you could use that for a positive that would, at least, be of benefit.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
My assumption and saying what you seem to believe in has a basis on your previous post. You claim the climate change will continue to get worse or hotter as you specified for 30-40 years along the line even if we do something about it tomorrow. Nowhere in my original post did I claim anything you decided to know about what I seem to think about the issue at hand. On the other hand if the only part you had a problem with in my previous post was that I guess we are off to a good start.

[removed quote of entire previous post]
Mod Edit: Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
A little addition for this thread:

Agency roasted after Toronto blogger spots `hot years' data fumble
Aug 14, 2007 04:30 AM
DANIEL DALE
STAFF REPORTER

In the United States, the calendar year 1998 ranked as the hottest of them all – until someone checked the math.

After a Toronto skeptic tipped NASA this month to one flaw in its climate calculations, the U.S. agency ordered a full data review.

Days later, it put out a revised list of all-time hottest years. The Dust Bowl year of 1934 now ranks as hottest ever in the U.S. – not 1998.

More significantly, the agency reduced the mean U.S. "temperature anomalies" for the years 2000 to 2006 by 0.15 degrees Celsius.

NASA officials have dismissed the changes as trivial. Even the Canadian who spotted the original flaw says the revisions are "not necessarily material to climate policy."

But the revisions have been seized on by conservative Americans, including firebrand radio host Rush Limbaugh, as evidence that climate change science is unsound.

Red faces at NASA over climate-change blunder

Is NASA hiding something? After reading all this global warming related stuff, I'm sure that we're not being told everything. Either that, or the science isn't capable of understanding and explaining the process. Or a little bit of both.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
You cannot compare the dust bowl with Global warming. Our 1934 in Britain was not a dust bowl. In fact, due to the predicted loss in polar caps, the gulf stream means Britain is likely to get cooler as a result of global warming. Global warming is an average. As for scientists not knowing all, that is true, so you go for an economic minimax model, minimise your maximum loss. That is why we have to cover potential problems now, not wait until they come sweeping over us in drought, rain, famine, sea water levels, pick your fear. Just saying there isn't enough evidence isn't a good reason to not take precautionary action against any potential threat. Like the war on terror, you don't wait until you can take them to court, you act on evidence and foil the plot, sometimes you're the hero, sometimes overly hasty, but thats life.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Apparently NASA made the mistake of hiring humans - stupid creatures that are prone to actually make mistakes!!!!!!

However, the fact that the temp in 1934 in one small, insignificant part of the world was 0.02c warmer than it was in 1998 has about as much bearing on current climate change as the number of gnats in my back garden

btw that's right: 0.02c

top topics

join