It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Playground Spontaneously Combusts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Texas Playground Spontaneously Combusts

cbs2.com

It's now so hot that some things are spontaneously combusting, reports CBS station KTVT-TV in Dallas.

The wood-chip fiber used as mulch on an Arlington school playground burst into flames last week.

A surveillance camera at Anderson Elementary School caught the fire on tape. It shows the mulch beginning to smolder and then catch fire. It caused significant damage to the playground.

"There just isn't any explanation except spontaneous combustion," said Superintendent Mac Bernd.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is pretty bizarre. It's hard to believe that just the hot sun and heat from decomposition could have caused this huge fire.

There is a video of it happening in the link.

cbs2.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yeah, it's 106 degrees here in Waco... Summertime is finally here. I was beginng to wonder when it would rear its head. June and July were very mild...

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I don't know if I can say it was spontaneous combustion, but I will say the drying weather after many weeks of rain could have something to do with it.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is relevant, as there were other factors involved (insulating snow-cover), but when I was growing up in the northeast we would have regular spontaneous combustion of our compost piles. Quite a strange sight to look out the window and see flames coming up from a snow mound!

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well I have seen a haystack burn from the sweating inside of the stack from the hay not being totally dried out before it was baled. It is a long slow process though, as you will see it smoldering for a while. In fact I never seen any flames during the time I was there, just burnt hay inside the stack when you broke it all up. The heat that can develop inside a bale is quite surprising, actually. Then when you put 1200 of these bales into a great big stack, the problem just snowballs...
Putting the fire out is like putting out a fire in a giant pile of rubber tires... It takes a long time to get to fully extinguish... Will smoulder for a long time.
Sounds starnge to say that moisture causes this fire, but I guess it happens...

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I can believe that. The compost in my garden went on fire when someone dropped a cigarette on it last year. It was just a small area but it was quite hard to put out. I watered it but some time later the smoke started up again just because I missed a wee bit with the can.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Odd. What I find absolutely pathetic is that for the first time.. ever.. a playground burst into flames because of .. "heat" we must close off every playground in the city!

Jesus Christ. Is this the world we leave in? Soon we will wrap our children in bubble tape and have them wear oxygen masks to get on the school bus. No playing. You might get hurt. Just stare ahead, arms to your side. Good little robot, good.

sometimes this country pisses me off. Maybe it's just me .. maybe I am the only one who remembers life without consistent reminders that life it's self is dangerous.. I'm still here though. Is it any wonder kids anymore are helpless whiny give me give me give me I can't do a damn thing for my self? Shouldn't be.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Earlier submission here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the linked discussion.

Thread closed.

top topics

join