It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paper Battery Battery Developed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Paper Battery Battery Developed

sciencenow.sciencemag.org

Each gram of paper produces about 10 milliamps of current at 2 volts, and the researchers were able to use the batteries to power a fan and LED light. Stacking multiple sheets increases the power, the team reports online this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Unlike other flexible batteries, the paper battery is completely integrated, says Linhardt.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I can sure use this in my laptop and shave off about 2 pounds not including the charger. It sounds also, based on the ingredients, that it may be biodegradable l, another plus. I like this a lot better than those proposed wireless beamers that recharge things, adding already to the background radiation we are exposed to.

sciencenow.sciencemag.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-8-2007 by Sys_Config]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Seems pretty cool, although if you plan on getting some serious amps and voltage from it, its going to need alot more than 1 gram of that paper to power up anything. Ofcourse if it really is as cheap and enviromentally friendly to produce as they let us believe it does seem like an excelent improvement for any portable products and even solar panels.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i was about to say the same thing. that stuff would probably have to be packed pretty densely to be small enough and provide enough power to run a laptop. might have the weight of a block of wood or more which doesn't solve your problem.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This does sound like a really cool way to make a battery. There is also a U.S. government battery challenge under way. It sounds like this design is a long ways from winning the contest. I do hope this will continue and get better as it goes.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
How great, if this becomes used on a daily basis we would have another enemy of the rainforest's ... how great

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Enemy of the rain forest yes, although be it I like to think that a forest like food crops can be cultivated. Which would be better then acid or lithium batteries.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I thought I would link this the first ancient battery from Bagdad believed to have been used in electroplating, stories have been told of massive counterfeiting of items as gold only they were silver. I am sure alchemy was a thriving science even then.

Whatever the outcome or future holds for batteries, let us never ever forget the one great giant in this arena who provided continuous delight in devices from sonywalkmans and cameras, to the more risque and exotic toys billions of men and women around the world rely on.

SyS

[edit on 15-8-2007 by Sys_Config]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Doesn't have to be from wood cellulose.

This is a good breakthrough and it has implications that reach far beyond what you would normally think at first glance. Just think of an Electric Car that had it's entire shell made of stuff like this? Carbon Nanotubes are extremely strong and if the safety aspects can be worked out as well as the environmental ones, it could make the electric car viable. It would be a huge boon to Hybrids as you would be able to ditch most if not all of the onboard batteries saving a ton(or two) of weight.

new topics

top topics

join